priyanka200@gmail

Import Mazda CX-5 from Canada to US

7 posts in this topic

I sent request for the compliance letter to Mazda Canada. It's been 3 weeks, haven't heard anything yet. Should I send a request to Mazda USA to get a faster response as the Mazda US website mentions response time of 10 days. Can one get compliance letter from Mazda US too for Canadian made vehicle?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, priyanka200@gmail said:

I sent request for the compliance letter to Mazda Canada. It's been 3 weeks, haven't heard anything yet. Should I send a request to Mazda USA to get a faster response as the Mazda US website mentions response time of 10 days. Can one get compliance letter from Mazda US too for Canadian made vehicle?

This comes up a lot, and I've never heard of anyone coming back to say they did it. Usually I hear of people who were stymied by the process at the same step as you, and a year later their car is still in the USA, past the temporary period that is permitted, and now figuring out the problem.

Turns out there are automobile customs brokers who apparently can take care of this for you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can actually find out this information on the block on your engine

get the Numbers as indicated from the following site and look up the compliance info online

i found this out when bringing my miata from Japan

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/locating-vehicle-emissions-label

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, Mike E said:

This comes up a lot, and I've never heard of anyone coming back to say they did it. Usually I hear of people who were stymied by the process at the same step as you, and a year later their car is still in the USA, past the temporary period that is permitted, and now figuring out the problem.

Huh? You've not heard of folks getting compliance letters and importing vehicles?

Anyways, I've done it both ways. I had a VW Jetta which VW of America happily issued me a Compliance letter, ran it through the border and showed the letter and my Canadian title to CBP. They did all the paperwork and gave me a stamped CBP Form 7501 entry summary. That allowed me to register/title it in WA. Easy peasy, the folks at CBP Peace Arch were great about it.

I used a Customs Broker (Registered Importer) for my motorcycle, a BMW F650 GS, which BMW Motorrad refused to issue a letter. The process was awkward, but not impossible. I have a guide for that in my signature. I paid about $700 to a RI to do the process. Worth it tbh. The biggest headache is if you cannot find any evidence that your vehicle was certified to EPA requirements (and CARB if your state requires it), as the RI only helps with DOT requirements, not EPA. If your vehicle is EPA non-compliant, it's virtually impossible to import it as ICI's (EPA version of a RI) are few and far between, only do very expensive vehicles, and cost an absolute fortune.

My bike didn't have an EPA sticker, but I was able to obtain a certificate of compliance for my engine from the EPA and CARB which was enough to mark it as compliant for import purposes. One other guy did this with a 2005 BMW Montauk.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
19 hours ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

You've not heard of folks getting compliance letters and importing vehicles?

Yours is the first.  

Manufacturers have no incentive to provide these letters.  Why should they? It is not in their self interest.  

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Yours is the first.  

Manufacturers have no incentive to provide these letters.  Why should they? It is not in their self interest.  

You should have a spool through the Canada regional sub-forum, a few do. I've seen it to be 50-50. Usually they do want proof that you're emigrating, such as a copy of the visa foil before they'll issue you the letter.

And why should they? Idk, customer service? But yes, you're right, there isn't much incentive. You can thank Congress for heeding to the US manufacturing lobby for giving them such control over the process.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

On 9/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, priyanka200@gmail said:

You should reach out to Mazda US, I think you are supposed to get a letter from the manufacturer's US Representative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.