Zack202

London DCF: I-130/I-130A - Change of Current Address, but not Mailing Address

8 posts in this topic

I did a few searched on the forum prior to making this post but couldn't find something with my exact situation.

My spouse (sponsor) applied for an I-130 petition at the US Embassy in July of this year. We are currently waiting to hear back in regards to next steps (DS-260, I-864 etc)

In the I-130 petition it asked for a mailing address as well as a current address. On the I-130A it only asked for a current address. Our current address from both forms have since changed, but our mailing address has not. (We were expecting to move house)

Our mailing address that we submitted as part of our I-130 petition is in the US, where my sponsor currently resides, and is correct. But our current address is no longer up to date, since we have both moved house. (Sponsor is in the US, Petitioner is in the UK).

1. Do we have to inform the U.S. Embassy in London that our current address has changed?
  2. Will any mail be sent to our mailing address in the U.S. or to our current address (as stated in the initial petition)? 

Would appreciate any insight into this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The US address receives the I 791 receipt as stated in the petition

after that the NOA2 and further notices from NVC will be sent to a correct email ID

USC address needs to be updated only at this point

after the bene is in the US then they would need to inform USCIS of any address change AR-11 alien form of address change

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zack202 said:

Our mailing address that we submitted as part of our I-130 petition is in the US,

I am wondering if your DCF will be accepted by London if the petitioner did not give a UK address on the I-130 petition. They may tell you to start over by applying to the Chicago lockbox, as all US residents do. I would wait until the petitioner receives communication about the petition before worrying about addresses.

The beneficiary, at some point after petition is approved, will fill out a visa application (DS-260) and you can put your correct address on that.  But the first step is petition approval which goes to the petitioner. 

3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I am wondering if your DCF will be accepted by London if the petitioner did not give a UK address on the I-130 petition. They may tell you to start over by applying to the Chicago lockbox, as all US residents do. I would wait until the petitioner receives communication about the petition before worrying about addresses.

The beneficiary, at some point after petition is approved, will fill out a visa application (DS-260) and you can put your correct address on that.  But the first step is petition approval which goes to the petitioner. 

Both Petitioner and Beneficiary gave a UK Physical Address (that's where we resided at the time for over a year at the time of filing). But we put a US address as the mailing address, given the short notice of relocation to the states (Sponsor's reason for DCF). It does ask "If you're mailing address is different than your current address, write it here.." knowing that the sponsor would not be in the UK in 1-3 months time we put the mailing address as the US (where the petitioner should be at that time)

Bit worried about your comments "They may tell you to start over by applying to the Chicago lockbox, as all US residents do.". We were UK Residents at the time. Do you think having put a US Address as our Mailing Address (not physical) will affect the outcome of our petition? 

3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Apologies I completely mixed up the words Petitioner and Sponsor in my thread. As well as missing out on some key information. Here is the corrected version:

- - -

My spouse (petitioner) applied for an I-130 petition at the US Embassy in London in July of this year. At the time we were UK residents who had lived there for over a year. We are currently waiting to hear back in regards to next steps (DS-260, I-864 etc). In the I-130 petition it asked for a mailing address as well as a current address. On the I-130A it only asked for a current address. Our current address from both forms have since changed, but our mailing address has not. (We were expecting to move house)

Our mailing address that we submitted as part of our I-130 petition is in the US, where the petitioner currently resides, and is correct. But our current address is no longer up to date, since we have both moved house. (Petitioner is in the US, Beneficiary is in the UK).

1. Do we have to inform the U.S. Embassy in London that our current address has changed?
  2. Will any mail be sent to our mailing address in the U.S. or to our current address (as stated in the initial petition)? 

Would appreciate any insight into this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Zack202 said:

Petitioner is in the US, Beneficiary is in the UK

DCF is no longer possible if petitioner is in the US.  DCF will be denied so no need to wait.  Notify the embassy in the UK and start over with a new I-130, I-130A to the lockbox.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, carmel34 said:

DCF is no longer possible if petitioner is in the US.  DCF will be denied so no need to wait.  Notify the embassy in the UK and start over with a new I-130, I-130A to the lockbox.

What are you talking about? Petitioner was in the UK and a long term resident of the UK at the time of applying for DCF. We met the eligibility requirements. Once we applied for DCF, the petitioner moved to the US. Please don't give false information without backing up your statements.

Edited by Zack202

I second to Zack as I'm in a very similar situation as him. I (beneficiary) and my spouse (petitioner) are both living in the UK. My spouse was offered a job back in USA. Since then, we have submitted the I-130 at the US embassy in London and were told we would qualify for the DCF. It is not uncommon that the petitioner has to move back to USA before the beneficiary receives their visa. It appears that you are implying that now we would need to start the process all over again? I don't believe this to be correct. Beneficiaries would just wait to hear from the embassy about the next steps (e.g. submitting DS-260, I-864, booking a medical and the interview etc.).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.