CEBTL

221(g) reason need original divorce document

10 posts in this topic

My wife went for her interview on Aug. 15th. She received an 221(g) due to bringing a copy of my the (petitioner) divorce paperwork.

On June 8th, I the (petitioner) went to the Consulate in Guangzhou, China and they asked to see my original divorce document when I filed the I-130, the document was accepted no problem and returned to me. So when my wife went to her interview she forgot to take the original and brought a copy.

So she was given a 221(g). On Aug 16th she mailed the original divorce document to the consulate. Our guess is that they received it on Aug 25th as that was the first time here status updated. 

On Sept 9th we received an email copy of the 221(g)   

Dear Applicants,

Under the section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, the Consulate General is unable to issue you an immigrant visa (IV) at this time. If you have already submitted your passport to the Consulate General, we will keep your passport with your file pending the issuance of your visa.

** Please note that documents issued in China must be translated and notarized by a local notary public office in China. For documents issued in other countries, applicants must obtain an original or certified copy of the requested documents.

My name:  Please submit an original notarized/ certified copy of Divorce Certificate

Please submit an original or certified copy of the divorce certificate. We cannot accept photocopies.

This is really frustrating, as we have already sent them the original divorce document. Not to mention they say, provide Original Notarized in one place but two other places say the Original document is fine. In addition, when my wife went to the interview the VO said she only needed to provide the original document. Which they now already have. The original divorce document was issued by a U.S. county court. 

Can any offer advice on how to proceed?  

CR1

4/27/2022     Requested a DCF from Guangzhou. 
5/17/2022     Received notification that DCF request was approved and appointment date to file I-130 

6/08/2022     Went to I-130 interview to submit I-130/I-130a  

7/19/2022     Received email from Guangzhou consulate with instructions to file DS-260

7/21/2022     Filed DS-260 online    
8/03/2022     Received email from Guangzhou consulate "This office is ready to begin final processing of the immigrant visa applicant" 

8/04/2022     Interview set for 8/15

8/15/2022     Wife went to the interview, was given 221(g), VO asked for Original petitioner's divorce paperwork "not a copy"

8/25/2022     Guangzhou received Original petitioner's divorce paperwork

8/29/2022     Date on CEAC website updated however status is still "refused" administrative processing

9/01/2022     Date on CEAC website updated however status is still "refused" administrative processing

9/09/2022     Received Email 221(g) asking for Original petitioner's divorce paperwork

10/14/2022  Consulate received notarized divorce paperwork 

11/07/2022 Visa was Issued 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, CEBTL said:

My wife went for her interview on Aug. 15th. She received an 221(g) due to bringing a copy of my the (petitioner) divorce paperwork.

On June 8th, I the (petitioner) went to the Consulate in Guangzhou, China and they asked to see my original divorce document when I filed the I-130, the document was accepted no problem and returned to me. So when my wife went to her interview she forgot to take the original and brought a copy.

So she was given a 221(g). On Aug 16th she mailed the original divorce document to the consulate. Our guess is that they received it on Aug 25th as that was the first time here status updated. 

On Sept 9th we received an email copy of the 221(g)   

Dear Applicants,

Under the section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, the Consulate General is unable to issue you an immigrant visa (IV) at this time. If you have already submitted your passport to the Consulate General, we will keep your passport with your file pending the issuance of your visa.

** Please note that documents issued in China must be translated and notarized by a local notary public office in China. For documents issued in other countries, applicants must obtain an original or certified copy of the requested documents.

My name:  Please submit an original notarized/ certified copy of Divorce Certificate

Please submit an original or certified copy of the divorce certificate. We cannot accept photocopies.

This is really frustrating, as we have already sent them the original divorce document. Not to mention they say, provide Original Notarized in one place but two other places say the Original document is fine. In addition, when my wife went to the interview the VO said she only needed to provide the original document. Which they now already have. The original divorce document was issued by a U.S. county court. 

Can any offer advice on how to proceed?  

Where did the divorce take place?  If in China, you need an original Notarial Divorce Decree from the Gong Zheng Chu.  Why would USCIS have returned ANYTHING to you?  Makes no sense.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Where did the divorce take place?  The Divorce took place in 2014 in Boulder County Court, Colorado, USA. The U.S. consulate currently has in their possession the only original divorce document I have.  

Why would USCIS have returned ANYTHING to you? When I went to Direct File I-130 at the US Consulate in Guangzhou the VO asked to see my Original divorce document as well as many other documents. The majority including my divorce document were returned to me. 

CR1

5/17/2022     Received notification that DCF request was approved and appointment date to file I-130 

7/19/2022     Received email from Guangzhou consulate with instructions to file DS-260

8/03/2022     Received email from Guangzhou consulate "This office is ready to begin final processing of the immigrant visa applicant" 

8/15/2022     Wife went to the interview, was given 221(g), VO asked for Original petitioner's divorce paperwork "not a copy"

8/29/2022     Date on CEAC website updated however status is still "refused" administrative processing

9/01/2022     Date on CEAC website updated however status is still "refused" administrative processing

9/09/2022     Received Email 221(g) asking for Original petitioner's divorce paperwork

Timeline
4 hours ago, CEBTL said:

Where did the divorce take place?  The Divorce took place in 2014 in Boulder County Court, Colorado, USA. The U.S. consulate currently has in their possession the only original divorce document I have.  

Why would USCIS have returned ANYTHING to you? When I went to Direct File I-130 at the US Consulate in Guangzhou the VO asked to see my Original divorce document as well as many other documents. The majority including my divorce document were returned to me. 

I see.  What you are talking about is the original "certified copy" of your divorce decree.  So they asked for it and how they have it, so now you wait in a new queue for the case to be reviewed and the visa issued, usually a month or so after submission.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

11 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I see.  What you are talking about is the original "certified copy" of your divorce decree.  So they asked for it and how they have it, so now you wait in a new queue for the case to be reviewed and the visa issued, usually a month or so after submission.

Okay, thank you.

It was just weird to receive a second 221(g) this time an emailed 221(g) asking for the document, when they already had the document for 2 weeks. 

CR1

Timeline
10 minutes ago, CEBTL said:

Okay, thank you.

It was just weird to receive a second 221(g) this time an emailed 221(g) asking for the document, when they already had the document for 2 weeks. 

Yeah.  It's been in a queue and one hand is not talking to the other.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 2 months later...

In the end, I needed to contact my State's Senator's office. Within three business days I got a response that said they the document I provided was a copy and that they required a notarized copy. I contacted the court and received a notarized copy. Then I sent it to my wife who later mailed it to the consulate. 

I am happy to report that on 11/07/2022 her visa was issued

CR1

• 1 year later...

My Fiance had her interview on 1/24 in Guangzhou.  White 221(g) was given to her requesting she mail in her passport and my certified divorce papers.   

I got a relative to get the certified copy from the court and FEDEX it to us in China.

Consulate is closed until 2/15 due to holiday.  Her lawyer will deliver the passport and divorce paper on Friday this week.

We are very hopeful that her visa is issued quickly after this is submitted.

Had an amazing 3 weeks with her but I had to come back to the states 2 days ago.

We are very excited for her to finally come to America.  Praying for fast approval.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.