Paula&David

September 2022 I-130 filers

522 posts in this topic

My husband finally received the police certificate email today so as soon as he gets it in the post, he will be uploading it. I am still trying to figure out this whole taxes thing without needing to have his Social Security number. And I don’t want to apply for a ITIN number because they say it can take a few weeks to receive one.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
On 10/1/2023 at 4:24 PM, Mil123 said:

We only got approved by USCIS in August and will be sending off the paperwork and paying the fees in January (that’s the plan anyway) so I think we should be fine. I plan to move there pretty much a year after getting approved. 

Do you mean a year after getting approved in the interview? Or from when you got approved by USCIS?
From what I understand you need to enter within six months of being approved in the interview stage, since after 6 months the CR1 visa would expire.

2 minutes ago, ms_gv said:

Do you mean a year after getting approved in the interview? Or from when you got approved by USCIS?
From what I understand you need to enter within six months of being approved in the interview stage, since after 6 months the CR1 visa would expire.

A year after the USCIS approval. We’re trying to time it right because of the 6 month expiry and because I wanted to get the IR1 instead of the CR1 (don’t like the idea of having to do all that paperwork and not be able to leave if there is an emergency). My job has a really long notice period so I’d need to move in August anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Mil123 said:

A year after the USCIS approval. We’re trying to time it right because of the 6 month expiry and because I wanted to get the IR1 instead of the CR1 (don’t like the idea of having to do all that paperwork and not be able to leave if there is an emergency). My job has a really long notice period so I’d need to move in August anyway. 

What do you mean not be able to leave on the CR1? My understanding was that was only for people doing AOS whilst they were waiting for CR1 approval. 

Additionally worth noting that I think the 6 months expiry is from the medical, not the interview (if that changes anything).

4 minutes ago, Micam said:

What do you mean not be able to leave on the CR1? My understanding was that was only for people doing AOS whilst they were waiting for CR1 approval. 

Additionally worth noting that I think the 6 months expiry is from the medical, not the interview (if that changes anything).

No I mean once the CR1 expires and you have to apply to adjust. I’m trying to think long term, and don’t want to be in a situation where I can’t get back to my family if needed. 

Yes, I did read it was the date from the medical, so we are taking that into consideration. 

59 minutes ago, Micam said:

You need to land in the US within 6 months of the visa being granted AND have a medical report that is less than 6 months old. I think there's also something about the police report from your home country not being older than 12 months old.

8 minutes ago, bencdxb said:

You need to land in the US within 6 months of the visa being granted AND have a medical report that is less than 6 months old. I think there's also something about the police report from your home country not being older than 12 months old.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure about the police report which is why I haven’t sorted that out yet. 

1 hour ago, Mil123 said:

No I mean once the CR1 expires and you have to apply to adjust. I’m trying to think long term, and don’t want to be in a situation where I can’t get back to my family if needed. 

Yes, I did read it was the date from the medical, so we are taking that into consideration. 

Just to note they are currently giving 4 year extension letters when ROC is filed and by all accounts they give those out pretty quick once filed, but avoiding ROC is also not a bad thing so I hear.

1 minute ago, MarmiteC said:

Just to note they are currently giving 4 year extension letters when ROC is filed and by all accounts they give those out pretty quick once filed, but avoiding ROC is also not a bad thing so I hear.

I did hear about the extension letters but with the amount of notice I’d have to give at work it likely wouldn’t make a massive difference in the timeline of me relocating. As much as I’d love to move straight away, when I we looked into it properly it made more sense to do it this way. 

1 hour ago, Mil123 said:

No I mean once the CR1 expires and you have to apply to adjust.

I think you mean removal of conditions (ROC), not adjustment of status (AOS).  No AOS required for those with CR1 visa.  ROC will be required if entering the US before 2nd wedding anniversary.  If you enter the US after your 2nd anniversary, no ROC required, even if you have a CR1 visa.  What matters is the date of US entry vs the wedding date, not the type of spouse visa in the passport.

1 hour ago, bencdxb said:

You need to land in the US within 6 months of the visa being granted AND have a medical report that is less than 6 months old.

The visa expiry date will be tied to the medical result date, regardless of the visa issue date.  Visa medical validity is 6 months (maximum).  So it's possible for the visa to have only a few weeks or even a few days validity.  In my case, my interview had to be re-scheduled months after my medical, so the expiry date listed on my spouse visa was only 1.5 months from the date it was issued.

23 minutes ago, Mil123 said:

I did hear about the extension letters but with the amount of notice I’d have to give at work it likely wouldn’t make a massive difference in the timeline of me relocating. As much as I’d love to move straight away, when I we looked into it properly it made more sense to do it this way. 

I had 6 month's notice to give. I took a risk and resigned after USCIS approval and planned to visit if I didn't have it by then. 

I ended up transferring with work but still served 5 months notice, wish I got the break I planned now as I landed here on Sunday and started work at 7am on Monday. Haven't unpacked yet! 😆

Hi all,

Just received my IL (yippee!!!!!), and have gone to register as directed on the email. When doing that I get a message along the lines of "entered case number is not ready for scheduling". Did anyone else get this, and how long did it take to actually sort out so I can reschedule my appointment, and book my flights and medical?

2 hours ago, bencdxb said:

Hi all,

Just received my IL (yippee!!!!!), and have gone to register as directed on the email. When doing that I get a message along the lines of "entered case number is not ready for scheduling". Did anyone else get this, and how long did it take to actually sort out so I can reschedule my appointment, and book my flights and medical?

it usually takes about 24 hours for it to show up. I had the same. Try tomorrow. 

And yay!!! Congratulations. When's the interview for?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.