NoMansLand2020

Looking for suggestions on a car for wife

33 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Palawan said:

If you have that option why even list her as driver?  Car insurance follows the car not the driver,

In Massachesetts if a "Household Member" is driving your car they have to be Listed as a driver or else they are not covered in an accident. Now if she lived at a different address she would be covered.

13 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

In Massachesetts if a "Household Member" is driving your car they have to be Listed as a driver or else they are not covered in an accident. Now if she lived at a different address she would be covered.

Irrelative to the conversation

I am in Texas insurane follows the car, which is also irrelative to the OP

He stated that he has option in state, which I believe was NC.

1 hour ago, Palawan said:

He stated that he has option in state, which I believe was NC.

I believe they require the listing of the drivers also. I think what his insurance guy was trying to say was it would be cheaper to list his wife on just 1 car, not all 6.

FAQs About Auto Insurance | NC DOI

24 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

I believe they require the listing of the drivers also. I think what his insurance guy was trying to say was it would be cheaper to list his wife on just 1 car, not all 6.

FAQs About Auto Insurance | NC DOI

Exactly what I said, per your reference

He could put her on one car or no cars, Nowhere does it state it is required, only as "Should".  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, Palawan said:

If you have that option why even list her as driver?  Car insurance follows the car not the driver, as long as she has permission to drive the vehicle and she has a valid current DL you should be good and not worry about insurance charging 1000 bucks every 6 months which sound very high for a new car insurance.

NC states you must list all drivers that are allowed to drive your vehicles on  a regular basis. I know my insurance is a little different since my trucks are listed under my personal name, but also used for partial business use...

21 minutes ago, RUJEN said:

NC states you must list all drivers that are allowed to drive your vehicles on  a regular basis. I know my insurance is a little different since my trucks are listed under my personal name, but also used for partial business use...

Actually it doesn't state that, it says it should be on the policy

Night and day difference between "Must" and "Should"

Are family members covered by my policy? Yes, family members are insured under your policy. Family member is defined in your policy as a person related to you by blood, marriage or adoption who is a resident of your household. This includes a ward or foster child. Please note these family members should be listed as drivers under your policy

consumer-guide-to-automobile-insurance_cau1.pdf

On 9/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, LexieJ said:

You definitely need a mini van, our kids are 18 months apart and with 2 car seats it will be hard to fit them in a regular sedan or even an SUV, before we bought the Honda Odyssey we had a Nissan Murano which was really nice but had to sell it coz with 2 car seats and my mom helping out it was very tight in the back row, I'm 5'3" so a little taller than a "typical Filipina" and did not have any problems driving my mini van, it also had a back up camera so that made things easier, the clearance is also better with the mini van, I hated driving a small car now, I will drive my Odyssey until it's last breath! LOL! 

A mini-van with sliding side doors is so much easier with car seats and kids!  When we visited the U.S. in 2017 our kids were 1 and 3 and 13.  We loved the Chrysler Pacific we rented and it got great gas mileage, with plenty of power.  Another benefit if the Pacifica was that all the rear seats will fold flat, so you can have a huge cargo compartment when needed.  When the second row seats are up, there are two huge storage compartments in the floor there.

My wife did not drive then.  Here in the Philippines we have a Chevy Trailblazer 7 seater and a little Honda Brio.  I like both of them.  My wife enjoys the Brio but actually likes the big Trailblazer because it has power height adjustable driver's seat (she is 5'4") and adjustable steering column.  Whatever you get, those are musts for a shorter driver.  And, for any driver, the higher ride of an SUV or truck gives much better visibility of the road and traffic.  What she doesn't like about the big SUV is parking it, so she uses the Brio when she has to park in tight spots.

Kia Carnival is one of the top luxury mini-vans here in the Philippines, with a 2.2 L turbo diesel.  I see they are selling them in the U.S. now but it is probably a 4 or 6 cyl gas engine.

Quick search for mini-vans with sliding doors came with a nice list to look at, on Carmax.  Toyota, Honda Chrysler, Dodge, Kia.  I remember in the old days the Toyota Sienna did not have sliding doors, but I guess they do now.

https://www.carmax.com/cars/minivans-and-vans/power-sliding-door(s)

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Timeline
On 9/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, Palawan said:

Actually it doesn't state that, it says it should be on the policy

Night and day difference between "Must" and "Should"

My son has received his driver’s license. Do I have to add him to my policy, if he drops his own insurance?

Yes, as long as he is a resident of your household. However, you must notify your agent or company. Failure to do so could jeopardize your coverage.

This is from the NC insurance website. I am under the belief that this is the same as adding a wife that just got her license and does NOT have insurance already

1976 Crown Victoria with the crash guard package.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

13 hours ago, RUJEN said:

My son has received his driver’s license. Do I have to add him to my policy, if he drops his own insurance?

Yes, as long as he is a resident of your household. However, you must notify your agent or company. Failure to do so could jeopardize your coverage.

This is from the NC insurance website. I am under the belief that this is the same as adding a wife that just got her license and does NOT have insurance already

I see "Could" in there. You gotta do what you think is right. I would contact your insurance directly and find out what they say

I am more of show me the rules/laws and let me figure out how to handle it type of guy,  

Timeline
9 hours ago, Palawan said:

I see "Could" in there. You gotta do what you think is right. I would contact your insurance directly and find out what they say

I am more of show me the rules/laws and let me figure out how to handle it type of guy,  

in the sentence right before your "could", it states you MUST notify your agent

On 9/6/2022 at 11:06 PM, seekingthetruth said:

And, for any driver, the higher ride of an SUV or truck gives much better visibility of the road and traffic.  What she doesn't like about the big SUV is parking it, so she uses the Brio when she has to park in tight spots.

We have a Nissan Navarra.  The truck sits up high enough, so you can see what foolishness is ahead.  We decided on the truck due to standing water, the height it gives, and the bed in the back.  Parking it sucks though.  In the US we drove a BMW that would be worthless here.  Our neighbor owns one, and I've never seen it move.  Taking it to Manila for maintenance is beyond stupid for me. 

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

4 hours ago, Talako said:

We have a Nissan Navarra.  The truck sits up high enough, so you can see what foolishness is ahead.  We decided on the truck due to standing water, the height it gives, and the bed in the back.  Parking it sucks though.  In the US we drove a BMW that would be worthless here.  Our neighbor owns one, and I've never seen it move.  Taking it to Manila for maintenance is beyond stupid for me. 

Yes, that is why I bought the 4X4 Trailblazer.  300 mm wading depth, and I have been close to using all of it a few times!

I live North of Manila in Subic Bay, and we have a lot of BMWs here.  I know there is a dealership in San Fernando, and maybe one in Angeles City now.  Both an hour away.  My nearest Chevy dealer is in San Fernando.  I have not been there in a few years because I have a reliable shop here to do most stuff, but I may go to the dealer for the timing belt replacement.

I have a wealthy neighbor.  About two years ago, he comes home with 3 brand new Nissans.  Two Navarra and one Terra.  He still has all of them so I guess he likes them!

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.