Boiler

EU foreign ministers agree to suspend visa travel deal with Russia

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/31/eu-foreign-ministers-agree-to-suspend-visa-travel-deal-with-russia

The informal agreement struck on Wednesday still needs to be translated into EU law and it was not immediately clear when the suspension would come into force. Borrell said it would become more difficult and take longer for Russians to get a visa from an EU member state, and the number of new travel documents would be reduced “substantially”.

The European Commission has been tasked with coming up with guidance about the stock of 12m existing visas for Russians. The Czech foreign minister, Jan Lipavský, acknowledged there was no quick fix. “There are various ways forward and we can’t answer this straight away,” he said, without going into details.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Oof, those interviews better be shifted from Poland real quick. The next crisis we're inevitably going to see is Russian applicants having their papers stuck in Warsaw, unable to transfer them out. My unfortunate prediction is that it's going to be a very long time before the State Department designates a more accessible embassy for Russians.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Oof, those interviews better be shifted from Poland real quick. The next crisis we're inevitably going to see is Russian applicants having their papers stuck in Warsaw, unable to transfer them out. My unfortunate prediction is that it's going to be a very long time before the State Department designates a more accessible embassy for Russians.

I wish they could come up with a temporary "humanitarian" type of visa for interview purposes only. Our case was finally received by the consulate today and now says "Ready" with all those unpleasant news around. 😥 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I know this is a little bit of a stretch but... What would the repercussion/possibility be of the Russian fiance/spouse going to Armenia, Azerbaijan, or Georgia, in a temporary stay permit, getting an apmt/month to month lease, and requesting that the US embassy in that country process the interview?

6 hours ago, Simplytex said:

I know this is a little bit of a stretch but... What would the repercussion/possibility be of the Russian fiance/spouse going to Armenia, Azerbaijan, or Georgia, in a temporary stay permit, getting an apmt/month to month lease, and requesting that the US embassy in that country process the interview?

Why is it a stretch? If you have legal residence there, you have legal residence there. I wouldn't even "request" it, I would apply with that in mind as the person would be a legal resident. The same is true of EU visas.

Timeline

It's really difficult to get temporary permits in these countries. Typically cant do it unless you work or study in one of those countries. 😅 been there, tried that. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Marklor said:

What if you have a long-term visa? 1 year or more, for instance, as a remote worker?

1, your russian fiance would have to actually have a remote work job.  2, I do not believe any of these countries offer temporary residence permits for remote workers. 3, if you find evidence that they do, please write back here in the chat. 

1 minute ago, miller_Kay said:

1, your russian fiance would have to actually have a remote work job.  2, I do not believe any of these countries offer temporary residence permits for remote workers. 3, if you find evidence that they do, please write back here in the chat. 

1. This is not my thread, but remote work is pretty common in the IT field. 2. Georgia offers a long term visa for remote workers. I don't know that it's technically a residence permit, but you def can stay year-round, so I'm not sure if a "visa" is sufficient.

I believe Serbia and Armenia do have acceptable regimes for remote workers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.