EternalWait

RCMP police certificate processing delay

123 posts in this topic

Has any one experienced delay with their RCMP police certificate? It should take like 10 business days at most (2 weeks), but mine has been taking more than three weeks, and every time I call they it's in processing (I am pretty sure I got no criminal records btw :D ). I am kind of in a hurry ! Is there anything I can do to expedite this?

I'd appreciate if people could share their experience in case they have had the same issue (and share when they applied for the police certificate and when they received it). Thanks !

42 minutes ago, immishok said:

Has any one experienced delay with their RCMP police certificate? It should take like 10 business days at most (2 weeks), but mine has been taking more than three weeks, and every time I call they it's in processing (I am pretty sure I got no criminal records btw :D ). I am kind of in a hurry ! Is there anything I can do to expedite this?

I'd appreciate if people could share their experience in case they have had the same issue (and share when they applied for the police certificate and when they received it). Thanks !

Mine took 3.5 weeks mostly due to Canada Post

3 minutes ago, immishok said:

Thanks @chaoticenergy ! did you file it recently, when? Apparently they got this excuse that in the last few months Canadian PR applicants are putting a lot of requests, so that's why there's a backlog.

I filed in June and got in July. I just did another one and they warned me about the delay too that there are lots of students doing it around this time of year.

Edited by chaoticenergy

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/11/2022 at 8:44 PM, immishok said:

How did you request your RCMP Police Certificate? Thanks. 

Most fingerprinting services out there in Canada are familiar with US immigration type of request. Just google map them and you can find quite a few in any metropolitan area.

They should already know, but in case they don't you will have to tell them that your request is under "Privacy Act" and it should include “RCMP National Repository entire holdings” as specified in DOS website. For the price, in Toronto, they charge you ~$50 for the fingerprinting + taxes. They should not charge you anything like "RCMP fee", because this type of request has no fees as shown here . 

Apparently, according to what I have been told after I called them, part of the delay these days is not because of COVID or backlog but because the request is to include "RCMP National Repository entire holdings" which makes its processing last a bit longer than the other types of request.

Edited by immishok

Timeline
1 hour ago, immishok said:

Most fingerprinting services out there in Canada are familiar with US immigration type of request. Just google map them and you can find quite a few in any metropolitan area.

They should already know, but in case they don't you will have to tell them that your request is under "Privacy Act" and it should include “RCMP National Repository entire holdings” as specified in DOS website. For the price, in Toronto, they charge you ~$50 for the fingerprinting + taxes. They should not charge you anything like "RCMP fee", because this type of request has no fees as shown here . 

Apparently, according to what I have been told after I called them, part of the delay these days is not because of COVID or backlog but because the request is to include "RCMP National Repository entire holdings" which makes its processing last a bit longer than the other types of request.

Thank you. This is very helpful. Do you have any recommendations in the downtown Toronto area that do not charge the RCMP fee? Seems like many of them do.

Also, there is contradictory information from ***removed*** states that “Only name check based police certificates are required for US immigration. Fingerprint-based police certificates are for Canadian immigration." Which is really stressful to say the least.

9 hours ago, Leeching Spouse said:

Thank you. This is very helpful. Do you have any recommendations in the downtown Toronto area that do not charge the RCMP fee? Seems like many of them do.

Also, there is contradictory information from ***removed*** states that “Only name check based police certificates are required for US immigration. Fingerprint-based police certificates are for Canadian immigration." Which is really stressful to say the least.

The police certificate you will obtain will not have your photo or your fingerprints even though your photo and fingerprints will be taken during the process. 

I went to this one . I can tell you that in downtown Toronto, this one was the cheapest. Cost was only the base $50 + taxes.

Call them and set an appointment. They are also 100% familiar with how they should do it for US immigration.

IF this one is too far, check out your area, you will find many others. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, immishok said:

The police certificate you will obtain will not have your photo or your fingerprints even though your photo and fingerprints will be taken during the process. 

I went to this one . I can tell you that in downtown Toronto, this one was the cheapest. Cost was only the base $50 + taxes.

Call them and set an appointment. They are also 100% familiar with how they should do it for US immigration.

IF this one is too far, check out your area, you will find many others. 

This one is perfect. Any reason you requested for digital fingerprinting $50 rather than ink & roll $40? I'm not sure if a digitization is really necessary

1 minute ago, Leeching Spouse said:

This one is perfect. Any reason you requested for digital fingerprinting $50 rather than ink & roll $40? I'm not sure if a digitization is really necessary

I thought it might be faster, ink & roll seems to me to require mailing as well (and also on whatever grounds you can imagine an imperfect ink&roll to be rejected, that does not apply to digital).

Timeline

9 hours ago, immishok said:

I thought it might be faster, ink & roll seems to me to require mailing as well (and also on whatever grounds you can imagine an imperfect ink&roll to be rejected, that does not apply to digital).

5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Commissionaires estimated a 4 week wait for results.

Thank you both for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.