champole

K1 Russian fiance cannot travel to Poland for interview

42 posts in this topic

Hello all,

In short, my fiance is a Russian citizen, I am an American citizen, she will need to do her K1 visa interview in Warsaw, Poland. However, Poland is not issuing any Polish Schengen visas to Russian citizens (except rare circumstances and K1 interview at US Embassy doesn't count). Is anyone familiar with the process of changing consulate locations and any applicants with Russian fiancee who have done this recently?

40 minutes ago, champole said:

Hello all,

In short, my fiance is a Russian citizen, I am an American citizen, she will need to do her K1 visa interview in Warsaw, Poland. However, Poland is not issuing any Polish Schengen visas to Russian citizens (except rare circumstances and K1 interview at US Embassy doesn't count). Is anyone familiar with the process of changing consulate locations and any applicants with Russian fiancee who have done this recently?

Your best bet will be to contact a likely consulate directly, and inquire whether they are willing to take the case.  You'd want to choose one that Russians can easily travel to, without a visa.  I think some people have tried Belarus or Kazakhstan.   Maybe @powerpuff knows?

As other have mentioned, all you can do is ask the consulates directly about a transfer. However, with Poland being the designated location, it will not be easy. Yes, Poland doesn’t issue Schengen for interviewing purposes, but a number of people here have booked vacations in other countries such as Greece in order to get a Schengen visa and then had successfully completed their interviews. Yes, it’s very inconvenient and costly but not impossible. As far as I’m aware, Russian citizens are not barred from applying and visiting as tourists.

Having said that, it doesn’t hurt to try asking other consulates if they’re willing to take your case. Just be prepared that they’re under no obligation to grant your request. 

I will add that the US consulate in Almaty, Kazakhstan has always been hesitant to accept transfers and they’re a hit or miss. Sometimes they agree, most times they don’t. You will need to contact Almaty as that’s the one with an IV unit.

Edited by powerpuff

Thank you all. We are working with an immigration attorney and have Dubai, Turkey and Serbia at the top of our list given that they are all Visa free and direct flights from Moscow and easy enough for American citizens to get to as well. Side note - I was told if she were to get a Schengen visa for Greece, for example, that would grant her access to fly from Greece to Poland as it is another Schengen state, and a Schengen visa allows travel between the different Schengen members as long as the initial country entered is the country that granted the Schengen Visa. Is anyone knowledgeable about this?

Just now, champole said:

Also, re Powerpuff, Poland is not currently accepting visas from Russian citizens unless for humanitarian cases or a family member of a Polish citizen. Currently, it is very restrictive. I communicated by email with people from Polish Schengen visa applications.

I mentioned other countries, not Poland. I imagine Poland is not a #1 tourist destination in Europe 

3 minutes ago, champole said:

Ahhh understand. You are saying try to get a Schengen visa in another member state and then go from there to Poland, correct?

Yes, that would be best, and only, strategy. I know many have done Greece, other countries can be an option too

34 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Yes, that would be best, and only, strategy. I know many have done Greece, other countries can be an option too

That sounds like the easiest option of all of them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

With U.S. Embassy in Moscow closed and Poland not issuing visa's to Russian nationals, is there any way to get the U.S. Government to change interview locations to another country that is accepting Russian nationals?
This portion of the K1 visa process for Russian nationals is broken, it needs direct and immediate action to provide services to U.S. Citizens trying to bring their family members and loved ones home!

10 minutes ago, ChristopherG said:

With U.S. Embassy in Moscow closed and Poland not issuing visa's to Russian nationals, is there any way to get the U.S. Government to change interview locations to another country that is accepting Russian nationals?
This portion of the K1 visa process for Russian nationals is broken, it needs direct and immediate action to provide services to U.S. Citizens trying to bring their family members and loved ones home!

I agree with you. Changing consulate location is our plan B. Anecdotally I've heard this is difficult. Our plan a is to get a Schengen Visa in any Schengen country , fly to that country and then go from there to Warsaw for the interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, champole said:

I agree with you. Changing consulate location is our plan B. Anecdotally I've heard this is difficult. Our plan a is to get a Schengen Visa in any Schengen country , fly to that country and then go from there to Warsaw for the interview

Please keep us informed, I wish you well !
How long ago have you sent the I-129F?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.