iskramar

Stepchildren Entering after Principal Immigrant

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I (US citizen) currently have 3 cases with NVC for my wife and stepchildren. I filed 3 separate I-130 petitions for my spouse and her 2 children (both under 18 and unmarried). After talking with her kids, they decided they want to stay in their home country to finish school so they want to immigrate after my wife who is the principal immigrant. Since I filed all the petitions simultaneously, what options do I have to allow the kids to enter the US 6 months after my wife? 

I am aware of "follow-to-join" but it does not apply to our case because my spouse falls under the immediate relative category and as a result, we can't add derivatives to her NVC case.  

Thank you so much 😀

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can delay the kids petitions at the NVC stage by not paying  the fees and submitting the paperwork

just keep their cases open (for a year) by emailing or writing a letter once a  month to NVC saying you want the cases to remain open

include case # ,  your name and child's name and both your DOB's

i would send separate letters (one for each file) 

2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

you can delay the kids petitions at the NVC stage by not paying  the fees and submitting the paperwork

just keep their cases open (for a year) by emailing or writing a letter once a  month to NVC saying you want the cases to remain open

include case # ,  your name and child's name and both your DOB's

i would send separate letters (one for each file) 

Contact once a month is a bit much.

@iskramar I have a post here on how to delay the case at NVC.  In the first post, scroll down to where it says "Update Below".

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

once a month contact was the notice i got to keep my case open at NVC stage

Not enough context for that statement to be of great value, when we already know that once a month is not necessary.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

once a month contact was the notice i got to keep my case open at NVC stage

In 2020 when NVC went digital contact only they actually posted notice that any paper letters /correspondence sent to them will be destroyed without response/or opening. 
So once a year ASKNVC email is all that’s needed. U get an instant confirmation of required annual contact 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.