Muhammad Arslan

B1/B2 Administrative Processing after Approval at the Interview

18 posts in this topic

Hey, everyone. I attended my interview for B1/B2 Visa on June 15. It was an emergency appointment for a clinical rotation (I’m currently a medical student).

Everything went well. The consular officer told me that my visa was approved and I was gonna get it within 2-4 business days. However, the status of my application on CEAC website changed to AP. I’ve heard it’s a common practice to do so as a final step before issuing visa but it doesn’t last more than a day or 2, as happened with a friend who was interviewed on the same day and got his status changed from AP to Issues in one day. I’ve been stuck there ever since. No form 221g was issued, neither did I receive any email/call for additional information.

I tried contacting the consulate but all I’ve gotten back from them so far are standard replies. It’s very, very frustrating. My rotation starts July 5, I’ll only be able to delay it by a week. 

Please guide me about what should be done in the current scenario. I have a good travel history, have officially traveled on State Dept’s sponsored summer school once, and my criminal record is clean. What could’ve possibly triggered AP? Your input will be highly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You have no choice but to wait out the administrative processing.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Muhammad Arslan said:

Hey, everyone. I attended my interview for B1/B2 Visa on June 15. It was an emergency appointment for a clinical rotation (I’m currently a medical student).

Everything went well. The consular officer told me that my visa was approved and I was gonna get it within 2-4 business days. However, the status of my application on CEAC website changed to AP. I’ve heard it’s a common practice to do so as a final step before issuing visa but it doesn’t last more than a day or 2, as happened with a friend who was interviewed on the same day and got his status changed from AP to Issues in one day. I’ve been stuck there ever since. No form 221g was issued, neither did I receive any email/call for additional information.

I tried contacting the consulate but all I’ve gotten back from them so far are standard replies. It’s very, very frustrating. My rotation starts July 5, I’ll only be able to delay it by a week. 

Please guide me about what should be done in the current scenario. I have a good travel history, have officially traveled on State Dept’s sponsored summer school once, and my criminal record is clean. What could’ve possibly triggered AP? Your input will be highly appreciated.

If you or your parents were born in certain countries, or you have travel history to certain countries, that could trigger the AP.

Is a B visa even the correct visa for a clinical rotation?

And like C. Cat said, nothing can be done.  You can watch the CEAC for the status to turn to "issued," and also wait to see if they request more documents from you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is this a T country?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

You have no choice but to wait out the administrative processing.  

That’s what I’m doing. What’s surprising is that usually for longer processing where your status goes Refused on CEAC initially, you’re asked for additional information/documentation, given a letter saying that. I haven’t gotten anything of that sort yet

6 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

If you or your parents were born in certain countries, or you have travel history to certain countries, that could trigger the AP.

Is a B visa even the correct visa for a clinical rotation?

And like C. Cat said, nothing can be done.  You can watch the CEAC for the status to turn to "issued," and also wait to see if they request more documents from you.

My parents and I are from Pakistan. I’ve only gotten a travel history for the US, haven’t really traveled anywhere else.

Yes, B visa is the right one. It’s the only one which applicable for short term rotations and is used by everyone. 

Usually they request more documents right away, it’s been 20 days, no updates since the day IV took place.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Pakistan has longer AP than most countries.  Be prepared to request a delay in the rotation if the visa is not approved in time.  And do not purchase any non-refundable airfares until you have the visa in hand.

4 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Pakistan has longer AP than most countries.  Be prepared to request a delay in the rotation if the visa is not approved in time.  And do not purchase any non-refundable airfares until you have the visa in hand.

I’m trying to delay it by a week or so. Got an open ticket so airfare shouldn’t be that big of a deal as of now. But the whole process is just so frustrating 

4 hours ago, Muhammad Arslan said:

I’m trying to delay it by a week or so. Got an open ticket so airfare shouldn’t be that big of a deal as of now. But the whole process is just so frustrating 

Unfortunately Pakistan has inadequate criminal/background record-keeping practices that do not conform to US standards, so the AP process for your country can take awhile.

13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Unfortunately Pakistan has inadequate criminal/background record-keeping practices that do not conform to US standards, so the AP process for your country can take awhile.

Why’d they put my case in AP tho? I have a friend who’s never traveled to US before, he got his visa within 2 days. We had our IV on the same day.

Edited by Muhammad Arslan
Grammar error

4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

There is no way for anyone here to know why.

I understand that. I’m just being very impatient. It’s just the fact it’s not merely a leisure trip for me, that rotation has to do a lot with residency match in the future. 

Anways, thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated :))

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is unusual to get a visa within 2 days Of interview

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You’re just in the black hole of administrative processing. Being Pakistani definitely doesn’t help.

And no they don’t really care about the “urgency” of your situation beyond having given you an emergency appointment. Their administrative processing bureaucracy cannot be expedited unless of course you’re perhaps friends with a “majority leader of the senate” level of big shot. 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.