No.mad

Driving in the US on an IR-1

4 posts in this topic

I will be moving to the US within a week on an IR-1 visa, Columbus Ohio specifically. 

Will I be able to rent a car and drive with a foreign driver's license (along with an IDP) without any trouble? Is driving in Ohio as a LPR and with a foreign license legal?

As per the Ohio BMV requirements, proof of address would be a hassle, since all the documents required for a proof of address can't be obtained directly or even within a month of arrival. Proving Ohio residency will not be easy at the beginning.

My worry is that I will be stuck there in limbo waiting for my Green Card, SSN, and finding a way for a proof of address. 

Note: Spouse has no DL and would not be able to drive, and is moving at the same time as I am.

Shouldn't have any issue renting a car. 

Sticky issue may be the Ohio language as to "Bonafide tourists can drive up to one year on their foreign license" but you're not really a bonafide tourist.

You should be able to get address documents fairly quickly.  Are you renting or buying?  Lease or purchase contract will be one, then you just need another "Bill" or bank document with your name plus the SS card.

At least you're IR1, we were in Cincinnati area and wife was CR1, learner permit only valid to expiration of CR1 (2 years), then again only 12 months on the ROC extension (used to be 12 month letters back then).  Took three trips to different offices to get them to honor the I551 stamp when the letter expired.

Just renting for few days or weeks with foreign DL is fine. As far as I know since you are LPR, u need to have state Driving License when you reside in that state. Max 10 days I remember after u settled. 

Proof of address you or ur spouse can change credit card address immediately ( if you are authorized user ) and use that statement. Same with checking account. U can pull the billing statement online 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Within 30 days of establishing residency, you will need an Ohio driver license for yourself, and an Ohio title and license plates for your vehicle.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/new-to-ohio.aspx

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.