ozzac

NVC processing times

18 posts in this topic

Hello, 

My wife and I have submitted all the documents to the NVC and was curious to find out about their processing times in this period. In particular, how long does it take for the NVC to review your case and make a recommendation? 
Speaking of which, will the NVC notify me once the case has been approved, before sending it to the relevant embassy/consulate abroad? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The NVC document approval process takes up to 3 months.  

Once you have submitted all required documents and paid the fees, NVC will document qualify (DQ) your case.  At that point, NVC will place your case in a queue for your specific consulate to await an open interview slot at that consulate.  When your case reaches the front of the queue (days, weeks, or months), NVC will schedule the interview, notify you by email, then send the case to your consulate where the Consulate Officer will conduct the visa interview.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

11 minutes ago, ozzac said:

Hello, 

My wife and I have submitted all the documents to the NVC and was curious to find out about their processing times in this period. In particular, how long does it take for the NVC to review your case and make a recommendation? 
Speaking of which, will the NVC notify me once the case has been approved, before sending it to the relevant embassy/consulate abroad? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

You can check NVC timeframes here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

Currently it is taking 75 days. They should update the website in the next few hours. 

You can also head on over to the NVC forum on VJ. Join the month you filed. Read the threads of the months before to get a feel for when they're reviewing cases. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/83-national-visa-center-dept-of-state/

Timeline

One more thing:  The usual status changes will be "At NVC", "In Transit", and "Ready" as the process continues.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

13 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The NVC document approval process takes up to 3 months.  

Once you have submitted all required documents and paid the fees, NVC will document qualify (DQ) your case.  At that point, NVC will place your case in a queue for your specific consulate to await an open interview slot at that consulate.  When your case reaches the front of the queue (days, weeks, or months), NVC will schedule the interview, notify you by email, then send the case to your consulate where the Consulate Officer will conduct the visa interview.

Does the NVC notify applicants before placing the case in the queue for a consulate? 
My main problem is that I need to give a 3-month notice at work and I am not sure at what stage to do it.

10 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

You can check NVC timeframes here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

Currently it is taking 75 days. They should update the website in the next few hours. 

You can also head on over to the NVC forum on VJ. Join the month you filed. Read the threads of the months before to get a feel for when they're reviewing cases. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/83-national-visa-center-dept-of-state/

Thank you! Does it mean that on the 75th day they tell you whether your documentation is complete or do they need more time to get back to you?  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ozzac said:

Does the NVC notify applicants before placing the case in the queue for a consulate? 
My main problem is that I need to give a 3-month notice at work and I am not sure at what stage to do it.

NVC will notify you when the case has been "DQ'd", yes.  However, the wait could be a lot longer than 3 months for some consulates.  I would check for recent timelines for your country.  

Are you the beneficiary or the petitioner? 

US Embassy/Consulate state you should not quit your job or sell your home before visa is in hand. 

If you are the beneficiary. You have six months from date of the medical to enter the US. So, if you want you can hand in your notice after your visa is issued and work out your 3 month notice. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

One more thing:  The usual status changes will be "At NVC", "In Transit", and "Ready" as the process continues.

I have a question if you don't mind, it has to do with NVC. when they mention the beneficiary civil documents, what does that pertain too?. even though ( well in my case ) i sent them ( in my original package)  copies of her BC, DL, even government ID, even copies of here pass port When I sent my package off to Texas which is now in California, wouldn't they will have some of her information on hand ?  ( Thank you )

1 minute ago, ROK2USA said:

Are you the beneficiary or the petitioner? 

US Embassy/Consulate state you should not quit your job or sell your home before visa is in hand. 

If you are the beneficiary. You have six months from date of the medical to enter the US. So, if you want you can hand in your notice after your visa is issued and work out your 3 month notice. 

I am the beneficiary. So does the visa has a duration of 6 months? Somehow I thought it was 3, which made it tight. 

Just now, ozzac said:

I am the beneficiary. So does the visa has a duration of 6 months? Somehow I thought it was 3, which made it tight. 

The medical report is valid for 6 months. If a CLASS A or TB condition exists, it is valid for 3 months  from the time the evaluation is complete. The immigrant visa validity is limited to the validity of the medical examination.

Which country are you interviewing out of? You have a completed K1 visa out of Italy but your profile says Switzerland.... 

Timeline

The expiration date will be no later than 6 months after the medical exam date.....could be fewer.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ozzac said:

It should include: passport copy, photographs, birth certificate and police records of your country of origin and other countries where you lived for more than 6 months. 

and marriage termination documents such as divorce decrees and death certificates if applicable. 

5 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

The medical report is valid for 6 months. If a CLASS A or TB condition exists, it is valid for 3 months  from the time the evaluation is complete. The immigrant visa validity is limited to the validity of the medical examination.

Which country are you interviewing out of? You have a completed K1 visa out of Italy but your profile says Switzerland.... 

What is a Class A condition? 
I am interviewing out of Switzerland. 5 years ago I applied for a K-1 but did not use it as we decided not to move to the US anymore for work reason. I tried to create a new timeline with this profile with VJ does not allow that...

3 minutes ago, ozzac said:

What is a Class A condition? 
I am interviewing out of Switzerland. 5 years ago I applied for a K-1 but did not use it as we decided not to move to the US anymore for work reason. I tried to create a new timeline with this profile with VJ does not allow that...

Class A: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-2

You can follow this thread to see what interview times are like out of Bern. 

You can ask for a reset of your timeline here (I believe)

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/14-site-related-discussion-updates-ideas-etc/

Edited by ROK2USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.