ApDev

Maintaining Green card while living abroad

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

My wife (Green Card holder), myself (USC) and my son (Dual USC and German Citizen) will be relocating to Germany. My wife's green card has been extended past the initial 2 year period. I was wondering how I could potentially maintain her green card status?

We dont know exactly when/if we will come back, but would like the option of doing so without having to go through the green card process again. We would plan on reentering the US at least once a year, if not twice. Would those entries, along with her holding bank accounts, retirement accounts, and filing income taxes be enough to be able to maintain her green card?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In order to maintain legal permanent resident status, the LPR needs to primarily reside in the US.  Typically this means living in the US for at least 6 months per year. 

If your move to Germany is temporary then your wife can apply for a reentry permit which will allow her to be outside the US for up to 2 years.  

If your move to Germany is longer than that, then wait until your wife gets her US citizenship.  If that is not possible, then she can relinquish her LPR status and you can petition for an IR1 visa for her.  You can file for it now (I-130), get it approved, and let it sit at NVC until a few months before your move back to the US.  You can contact NVC once a year requesting to keep your petition active and it can be "held" at NVC indefinitely.

Would it be possible to apply for the I-131 re-entry permit, and also start the process of Naturalization at the same time?
She has had her green card and lived in the US since Nov 2018, so over 3 years. I have read that LPR can apply for naturalization after 3 years. We are planning on moving to Germany in July, but could start the process now. We can also fly back to the US when it comes time for her biometric appt and interview.
Edited by ApDev

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, ApDev said:
Would it be possible to apply for the I-131 re-entry permit, and also start the process of Naturalization at the same time?
She has had her green card and lived in the US since Nov 2018, so over 3 years. I have read that LPR can apply for naturalization after 3 years. We are planning on moving to Germany in July, but could start the process now. We can also fly back to the US when it comes time for her biometric appt and interview.

If she's had a green card for over 3 years AND has been married to a US citizen for over 3 years (technically living in marital union with you), she is eligible to apply for naturalization (aka if she didn't get her green card via her relationship with you, then she's not eligible to apply for naturalization under the 3-year rule).

Not sure how the other parts work.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

On 5/24/2022 at 9:59 PM, ApDev said:

I believe your wife needs to remain in the US until she has completed biometrics. Or she receives a letter saying "biometrics are re-used. 

Not sure if it is possible to apply for naturalization then leave the country. 

I believe you can renew the re-entry permit once (and you can renew from overseas). If you think you'll stay outside the US for more than 4 years try to delay the move to Germany and have your wife naturalize. OR move back to Germany and file a new I-130 a year or so before you decide to move back to the US. You might be able to DCF as Frankfurt seems to approve a lot of DCF applications. 

Are you maintaining a home in the US when you relocate to Germany. They might have an issue with naturalizing her is she has no fixed address in the US. 

I would maybe ask in the US Citizenship General Discussion if you are allowed to naturalize when living overseas of your own volition. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.