stag

AOS Interview - Approval Expectations?

18 posts in this topic

We just had our AOS interview (K1 visa, then marriage). I'd say our case is pretty straightforward and the k1 interview last year had gone very smoothly. We gave all documents needed to the officer and the officer asked some questions about our relationship and marriage. I'd say our answers were fine and nothing out of ordinary. However, the officer didn't say approved at the end of the interview, rather said that we will be notified of the approval and if any additional documents needed, we will be notified. I'm reading that generally if approved they approve on the spot and put a stamp in the passport. How does this scenario bode for us?? Thank you. 

Removal of Conditions (I-751)
2/17/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/20/24: I-751 packet delivered

2/22/24: Receipt Number available on USCIS Portal

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

Others can probably chime in with a recent experience, but I haven't been reading anything about immediate stamps in passports. Your experience sounds very normal based on the reading I have done to set my own expectations for my own upcoming interview. 

2 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

Others can probably chime in with a recent experience, but I haven't been reading anything about immediate stamps in passports. Your experience sounds very normal based on the reading I have done to set my own expectations for my own upcoming interview. 

We had a pretty big wedding and had all evidence to prove that. First marriage for both, same background etc. In all the process has gone very smooth for us. I thought they give decision on the spot hence when the officer said that if approved, will get the approval letter in mail or if anything additional needed will be notified, was a bit distraught from that. Possibly needs to review medical form?

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

8 minutes ago, stag said:

We had a pretty big wedding and had all evidence to prove that. First marriage for both, same background etc. In all the process has gone very smooth for us. I thought they give decision on the spot hence when the officer said that if approved, will get the approval letter in mail or if anything additional needed will be notified, was a bit distraught from that. Possibly needs to review medical form?

I'm sure it went great and the approval is coming shortly. If you want to calm your nerves, have a nose around on the AoS forums - plenty of people who didn't get approval on the day, but then got it in the few days after 👍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

immediate passport stamps is not a standard practice and they stopped doing that years ago. your experience seems pretty normal to me. FYI, most people have non complicated cases just like yours and it can take a few days to weeks after the interview for the IO to approve. don't overthink, unless they find a document missing you will receive the update you expect in a few weeks.

Just now, Bajinga said:

immediate passport stamps is not a standard practice and they stopped doing that years ago. your experience seems pretty normal to me. FYI, most people have non complicated cases just like yours and it can take a few days to weeks after the interview for the IO to approve. don't overthink, unless they find a document missing you will receive the update you expect in a few weeks.

Thanks. If a document is missing wouldn't they say it during interview? I just gave the officer what they asked, even though I had a bunch of papers with me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Although rare people have gotten RFE's after the interview for missing documents. no need to overthink this IMO, you will receive the approval soon eitherways.

Edited by Bajinga

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We just had our interview last May 6. It was pretty much straightforward and very much like what you have described. I did not get a passport stamp as well. The officer did not outright say that we are approved. I have also read a lot of recent reviews that said the same thing. So I would say what you have experienced is pretty standard at this point. Don't worry, your status will change in a day or two. :) You're done with all the stressful stuff so you can relax and breathe a bit. 

Just now, Raychelle said:

We just had our interview last May 6. It was pretty much straightforward and very much like what you have described. I did not get a passport stamp as well. The officer did not outright say that we are approved. I have also read a lot of recent reviews that said the same thing. So I would say what you have experienced is pretty standard at this point. Don't worry, your status will change in a day or two. :) You're done with all the stressful stuff so you can relax and breathe a bit. 

Thanks, I thought we did or said something wrong. So I was stressed we didn't get the approval on spot. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, stag said:

Thanks, I thought we did or said something wrong. So I was stressed we didn't get the approval on spot. 

I understand, I felt the same! I even panicked because my case was not updating on the portal at all (I figured it's the weekend because we interviewed on a Friday, I was expecting something Monday but the update did not show until Tuesday). But don't worry, all the heavy lifting is done and before you know it, the card will be in your mail. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, stag said:

I'm reading that generally if approved they approve on the spot and put a stamp in the passport.

That has not been my observation at all.  Your experience is extremely common......just be patient.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like most other USCIS interaction there is an administrative review after the interview.  If you had your documents and there is no I-693 issues  you should be i good shape.  No stamp in passport for us last month. 

Got our AOS about 4 years ago. Was a stokes interview. No instant approval, No Passport stamp. I felt good about interview but like most people had to wait for the approval. It did come later that day (about 5pm) and got my card 2 weeks later. Youll be fine. As you continue your immigration journey I will advise to be patient (ask Crazy Cat about that) and resume your life. If you have no issues then they will approve you.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, calibrated my expectation accordingly. Just this morning got a notification from USCIS that action has been taken on our case, but strangely didn't see a change yet, so maybe something is coming

Edited by stag

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.