Sherry Nguyen

Bonafide evidence checklist ? Are these enough ?

10 posts in this topic

1. Could you guys please help me to check the list of bonafide evidence we plan to submit ?
  2. We got married for almost almost a year (in July 2021) but we just started to put things together since January 2022. So most of the documents were dated within the past 3-4 months, including insurance, POA, wills. I plan to file my AOS packet soon and wonder if the “recently-dated” docs will not attest to our bonafide marriage ? My husband and I just have personal things on-going from last year. So our wills, Power of attorney, lease, and insurance mostly dated back to Feb and March 2022. I was really stressed and wonder if I should wait for more, given that such evidence may not cover the whole relationship ? Should we have a personal statement to explain why documents were dated 4-5 months late after our marriage ?
  3. Would you recommend filing documents by entirely mail (AOS + I-130) or half online (I-130) and half (AOS) via mail ? Is the mail method better because it does not separate documents like I-130 from other AOS packets ?

Thanks a lot ❤️

I-130 PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE SPOUSE OF US CITIZEN

1. INSURANCE, POWER OF ATTORNEY AND WILLS

1. DEERs (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) enrollment with both of YYYYY and XXXXX names.

2. TRICARE enrollment showing YYYYY and XXXXX both covered under the same insurance plan for servicemember and family at the joint residence

3. YYYYY’s Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) designating XXXXX as the spouse and primary beneficiary.

4. Foreign Visitor Sponsorship Memorandum listing request for a temporary access pass to Fort Hood installation for XXXXX as a foreign family member (Spouse) of SPC YYYYY

5. YYYYY ’s military power of attorney listing XXXXX, spouse, as the individual (the agent) to handle financial or legal matters in their stead.

6. Military Last Will & Testaments of YYYYY listing XXXXX, spouse as the primary beneficiary of estate and personal representative.

7. Signed titles and Texas Rights of Survivorship and Joint Ownership Agreement between YYYYY and XXXXX for BMW & SONATA.

8. DD-93 Emergency contact listing XXXXX as YYYYY’s spouse emergency contact at the joint residence (updated on 03/29/2022)

9. YYYYY’s Texas advance directive designating XXXXX as the person who plans and makes YYYYY's own end-of-life wishes known in the event that YYYYY is unable to communicate.

10. XXXXX’s student missing contact listing YYYYY as primary person of contact in case of emergency

11. XXXXX’s authorization statement designating YYYYY as the Personal Representative Appointment in matters of health insurance with UnitedHealthcare StudentResources

12. XXXXX’s last testament and will showing that YYYYY, spouse, YYYYY, is entitled to 100% of XXXXX's Residual Estate and that he is the personal representative of her estate.

2. RELATIONSHIP TIMELINE

1. Cover letter written by YYYYY, petitioner

2. Relationship timeline with pictures written by XXXXX, spouse beneficiary

3. Pregnancy testing appointment showing both of our names as attendees

3. JOINT RESIDENCE

1. BBBBB Apartment Housing Lease listing both XXXXX and YYYYY as tenants in BBBBB Apartment. The term of rental agreement will begin at 2:00 p.m. on August 5, 2022.

2. AAAAA Apartment Housing Lease listing both XXXXX and YYYYY as tenants in AAAAA Apartment. The term of the rental agreement will begin on November 16, 2021.

3. MMMMM Insurance Company renters policy listing both XXXXX and YYYYY as insured in AAAAA Apartment.

4. Spectrum account showing XXXXX as the authorized user in AAAAA Apartment.

5. Amazon Household account and email invitations listing XXXXX and YYYYY as users to share digital content for free and enjoy Prime member benefits

4. COMBINED FINANCE

1. IRS tax return 2021 married filing jointly  

2. Loan statements from Paypal showing XXXXX as responsible for paying loan in our joint residence at AAAAA Apartment

3. YYYYY’s Thrift Saving Plan (TSP) designation letter listing XXXXX as beneficiary of the account. TSP is a defined-contribution retirement plan for federal employees and uniformed service members and ffers similar tax benefits to 401(k) plans. 

4. AT&T Phone bills showing XXXXX and YYYYY’s shared phone line

5. Monthly bank statements of XXXXX and YYYYY’s joint checking account with PNC since 12/2021 

6. Navy Federal bank’s Payable on Death (POD) designating XXXXX as beneficiary on YYYYY checking account on 03/18/2022. This was later canceled because XXXXX has become the joint owner of YYYYY’s checking account. 

7. Monthly bank statements of XXXXX and YYYYY’s joint checking account with Navy Federal since 04/2022 and statements indicating that XXXXX is the joint owner on YYYYY’s Navy Federal checking account.

8. XXXXX’s National Military Family Association's scholarship indicating  YYYYY as active-duty spouse and scholarship check can be sent to the joint residence.

5. JOINT ACTIVITIES

1. Commitment to relocate to Tuscaloosa, Alabama

1. Email from Ms. JJJJJ, YYYYY’s Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Counselor discussing YYYYY's intention to relocate to AL (page 1-2).

2. Email from YYYYY inquiring Veteran Affairs (VA) Office about college application and GI-Bills for enrollment The University of Alabama (UA) at Tuscaloosa (page 3-5).

3. XXXXX’s email to Ms. CCCCC, the UA admission counselor discussing YYYYY’s college application and transcript eligibility (page 6-7).

4. YYYYY’s email to Ms. HHHHH, high-school counselor requesting her transcript submission to apply UA, where XXXXX, spouse studies (page 😎

5. YYYYY’s Application For Education Benefits at VA.gov indicating The University of Alabama as the school from which GI-Bills will be used, and submission receipt (page 9-19).

2. Commitment to visit each other monthly and travels

1. Plane tickets

2. Airbnb booking

3. Commitment to make our relationship known to close individuals

1. YYYYY’s instagram showing many pictures YYYYY took with XXXXX throughout the relationship (page 1-2)

2. YYYYY’s personal Facebook showing many pictures YYYYY took with XXXXX throughout the relationship (page 3-7)

3. XXXXX introduced YYYYY as her husband on Zoom meeting with research professors (page 😎

4. XXXXX’s instagram showing many pictures XXXXX took with YYYYY throughout the relationship (page 9-11) 

6. Sworn affidavit of support from mothers and friend

1. Notarized affidavit of support written by TTTTTT, YYYYY’s mother

2. Affidavit of support written by CCCCC, friend to both YYYYY and XXXXX.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sherry Nguyen said:

if I should wait for more

Is your I-20 still valid? Or are you out of status?

I am asking because if you want to wait, then it is better if you are in status.

I honestly think your document list looks extensive. What you could do (if you're really worried about the recently- dated docs) is writing a simple letter on behalf of you and your husband, explaining why they are so recent (don't get into too much detail) sign it and that's it. Good luck! Also don't forget to make a copy of the whole package before you send it.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Sherry Nguyen said:
  • was really stressed and wonder if I should wait for more, given that such evidence may not cover the whole relationship ? Should we have a personal statement to explain why documents were dated 4-5 months late after our marriage ?
  • Would you recommend filing documents by entirely mail (AOS + I-130) or half online (I-130) and half (AOS) via mail ? Is the mail method better because it does not separate documents like I-130 from other AOS packets ?

You are absolutely ready to go and your evidence is superb and more than most can even come close to, don’t worry about gathering any more “ recent “ , will not be needed. Don’t delay filing. 
Since you have put such great effort and are comfortable with online/ uploading , then have fun and go for doing the I-130 online while submitting the I-485 ( I-864, I-765, I-131 ) by mail along w receipt of e-filed I-130. 

USCIS is pushing hard to go digital, and you are a perfect example of what they prefer…so go for it and Kudos for a job well done! 

5 hours ago, Sherry Nguyen said:
  1. Could you guys please help me to check the list of bonafide evidence we plan to submit ?
  2. We got married for almost almost a year (in July 2021) but we just started to put things together since January 2022. So most of the documents were dated within the past 3-4 months, including insurance, POA, wills. I plan to file my AOS packet soon and wonder if the “recently-dated” docs will not attest to our bonafide marriage ? My husband and I just have personal things on-going from last year. So our wills, Power of attorney, lease, and insurance mostly dated back to Feb and March 2022. I was really stressed and wonder if I should wait for more, given that such evidence may not cover the whole relationship ? Should we have a personal statement to explain why documents were dated 4-5 months late after our marriage ?
  3. Would you recommend filing documents by entirely mail (AOS + I-130) or half online (I-130) and half (AOS) via mail ? Is the mail method better because it does not separate documents like I-130 from other AOS packets ?

Thanks a lot ❤️

I-130 PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE SPOUSE OF US CITIZEN

More than enough. We had a similar list of things, albeit without anything bank/credit card related items as I couldn't open an account without a social at the time. We filed roughly 6 weeks after we got married & had no issues, no RFEs, no interview either lol

Just had a quick look at our documents and these are some things we have included on top of what you already listed to balance out the lack of financial/tax evidence 😅:

- birthday/holiday cards between the two of us

- birthday/holiday cards between addressed to us both

- gifts we have given each other with receipts/dates

- screenshots of conversations throughout our dating/relationship up until submission

- skype records for the duration of our relationship

- screenshots of messages between either of us and our parents, siblings (with relevance to our relationship)

- copies of any engagement/wedding related expenses (we eloped and haven't had an actual wedding yet so we included receipts for my engagement ring, our wedding bands, my evening dress for the civil wedding)

We also travelled a lot so we had a timeline of all the dates and different places on top of the "travel" section that holds all boarding passes, hotel bookings, restaurant reservations and whatnot.

For the I-864 we also included a copy of latest orders and a statement of service just to make it abundantly clear that the sponsor is mil-affiliated.

Edited by ghostinthemachine

asdf

Thank you so much @Misscloud @Rocio0010 @Family and @ghostinthemachine for your comments ❤️

Just three super brief questions before filing 

1) So my husband is in the army and current earns until November 2022. After that, he will be discharged and will not earn any income. If we send our AOS packet now, do we need a joint sponsor for I-864 ? My husband earns above 18k as required by the poverty guideline, but he will be discharged in 4.5 months so not sure whether we need a joint sponsor ?

2) My husband got an USCIS account number for his filing of N-400 earlier this year. Can we reuse this uscis account number for my I-130 and other AOS (e.g., I-485) documents ?

3) I can file now without I-693 ? Then, I can supplement my application later with the I-693 sealed packet, when USCIS issues RFE or I-693 Deficiency notice ? Will the lack of I-693 with my initial application delay my filing process ?

1. you probably will. not sure, let see what other say. if i remember to count current annual income = XXX amount of money per week X 52 weeks. so if he only work untl november 2022, u have to count until that month

2. i-130 he can use his, i-485, i-131, i-756 it will be under your name, so you will get different number

3. yes u can file without i-693. but in my experience in february 2022, i filed it together. the more i can submit to them the less chance i got RFE. to each their own. 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Sherry Nguyen said:

1) So my husband is in the army and current earns until November 2022. After that, he will be discharged and will not earn any income. If we send our AOS packet now, do we need a joint sponsor for I-864 ? My husband earns above 18k as required by the poverty guideline, but he will be discharged in 4.5 months so not sure whether we need a joint sponsor ?

That's a great question. My understanding is that they go by current income, so he should not need a joint sponsor. However, he might need one for the interview, in case a) he doesn't get a job before your interview, or b) his employment is very recent and does not have enough paystubs to provide them with. 

19 minutes ago, Sherry Nguyen said:

2) My husband got an USCIS account number for his filing of N-400 earlier this year. Can we reuse this uscis account number for my I-130 and other AOS (e.g., I-485) documents ?

No. Your application= your number.

19 minutes ago, Sherry Nguyen said:

3) I can file now without I-693 ? Then, I can supplement my application later with the I-693 sealed packet, when USCIS issues RFE or I-693 Deficiency notice ? Will the lack of I-693 with my initial application delay my filing process ?

You can, but I wouldn't. In my case, I sent the I-693 with my initial application, and I was approved without interview. I personally like to get things done, so I just sent all my documentation altogether for peace of mind.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1. You can file w his current income but YES you will need to prepare a Joint Sponsor either for an RFE or at the interview date , as they often do catch an imminent discharge date ….but it also happens that if it passes initial filing review and they never go back to check at interview stage…so file as is and stay prepared.

2. He can use the same account to file the I-130, and I am not sure it system will even let him set up a second account ( please try it and post results, am curious) . You should also set up your own account . 

3.  You can file without I-693 and wait for notice of deficiency, no impact on overall process

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much @Misscloud @Rocio0010 @Family and @ghostinthemachine for your comments and advise. Got our I-130 approved today!!! 

I-130 approved while I-485 is pending

I-130 (E-filing; submitted online)
PD: 05/17/2022
Approved: 06/28/2022
42 days in total

I-485 (mail)
PD: 06/06/2022
Still pending, no biometric appointment yet.
FO: San Antonio, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.