EricLT

How long is the processing time after receiving the ITIN?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

We received the ITIN mid March but on the Where's my refund page still doesn't show any record of our return. We even received the state refund already. It has been 6 weeks after we got the ITIN, is it too soon to check status? Can't get through IRS's phone number to talk to anyone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Use the IRS tool to check status of refund

if IRS does answer,  you'd be on hold for over an hour

u may want to read the following Washington Post article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/03/25/irs-refund-delays/

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
15 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Use the IRS tool to check status of refund

if IRS does answer,  you'd be on hold for over an hour

u may want to read the following Washington Post article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/03/25/irs-refund-delays/

I checked their where's my refund page every day. I'm more concerned about not finding my record on there more than the status of the refund. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just now, EricLT said:

I checked their where's my refund page every day. I'm more concerned about not finding my record on there more than the status of the refund. 

basically it took time to do the ITIN process 

and now,  the actual process for the refund has started 

its a pain as the article says IRS is still doing 2020 refunds in over a million cases 

Timeline
1 hour ago, randy32 said:

Patience is the key.

From your timeline, you were married in July. Wondering why you did not get a SSN.

If you did, their will be no need for the ITIN

Because we were not aware of the option to request a SSN before marriage 

3 hours ago, EricLT said:

We received the ITIN mid March but on the Where's my refund page still doesn't show any record of our return. We even received the state refund already. It has been 6 weeks after we got the ITIN, is it too soon to check status? Can't get through IRS's phone number to talk to anyone. 

Last year it took 2 months from when my wife's ITIN was issued until the return was acknowledged on the "Where's My Refund?" web site.  Then another 3 weeks until I actually received the return.

My guess would be that trying to call the IRS is just a waste of time and you might as well just check the "Where's My Refund?" web site until it says something.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, EricLT said:

ITIN requires a paper filing with the 1040, so it could take a very long time unless the IRS hires a lot more staff to work through all of the paper returns.  They are still working on 2020 paper returns.  I would suggest not thinking about it or it will drive you crazy.  Just like USCIS, it could be fast and surprise you, or take months, there is no way to predict given the huge backlog.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.