emily1elf

Waiting almost a year since NOA2

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm in the US and my partner is Australian. We sent our I-129F out at the end of October 2020 and it was received at the US service center on November 2nd, 2020. We got our NOA1 Feb 1st 2021 and our NOA2 June 24th 2021. We haven't received anything from the NVC since then except a few emails saying "This notice is to inform you that NVC is currently holding your approved Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiance(e)), and it has been at least 60 days since we received it from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). When NVC does forward your case, you will receive another notification." I've checked the timelines and it looks like so many other people with Australian beneficiaries who have submitted their cases after us have not only received their NVC packets, but also some have had interviews and even been married months ago. I've tried to email the NVC multiple times and only received copy pasted responses back telling me that the Sydney Consulate is currently not processing cases, despite cases evidently being processed since so many other people on here have had their cases move along and even close. I heard that since the Sydney consulate is closed, they are doing interviews in Melbourne. So I tried to inquire about that and again got a copy paste response saying yes, they are doing them there. But nothing saying that we can do ours there. No packets. No invoice ID since no packet. I can't check on our status or do anything to find answers. I don't know what to do at this point. I have tried the "just wait" tactic because I understand Covid has affected so much. But is this not an insanely long amount of time waiting since we submitted ours well before others who have had success? I don't understand if I've done something wrong, missed a step, or if they lost our case or something. Please can somebody advise me on what, if anything, I can even do. I miss my partner. I miss having a life. 

K1 applicants do not receive anything from NVC. There is very minimal exchange between an applicant and NVC for K1s. There is no welcome letter, no packet. All you had to do was call NVC about a month after your NOA2 to get your case number. Then you can track its status on CEAC https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx (Remember to choose “immigrant visa” option)

There are roughly 3 statuses you will have to look out for - “at NVC”, “In transit”, “Ready”. Once it’s “Ready” you can begin scheduling your interview with the consulate.

All of this is written out in VJ’s K1 flowchart:

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline

5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

K1 applicants do not receive anything from NVC. There is very minimal exchange between an applicant and NVC for K1s. There is no welcome letter, no packet, no invoice ID. All you had to do was call NVC about a month after your NOA2 to get your case number. Then you can track it’s status on CEAC https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx (Remember to choose “immigrant visa” option)

There really 3 statuses you will have - at NVC, In transit, Ready. Once it’s “Ready” you can begin scheduling your interview with the consulate.

All of this is written out in VJ’s K1 flowchart:

They put that case number in the email saying our case is being held and I did check on it on that site. But it's been saying At NVC for I believe 4 months now, possibly longer but I can't remember right now. Is that normal for waiting between At NVC and Ready? 

3 minutes ago, emily1elf said:

They put that case number in the email saying our case is being held and I did check on it on that site. But it's been saying At NVC for I believe 4 months now, possibly longer but I can't remember right now. Is that normal for waiting between At NVC and Ready? 

Yes, it’s normal for many consulates. Some have been waiting much longer than that. You need to find other K1 Australians here who have received NOA2s to see how long they have been waiting.

Timeline

Hi, we are in the same position. Our case is stuck with NVC and they said they cannot send it on to Sydney because sydney is still processing all the pending interviews that were on hold previously so we just have to wait. Its very frustrating. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.