USC4SPOUSE

USCIS Moves to Strategic Data-Driven Approach to Waive Interviews for Conditional Permanent Residents

4 posts in this topic

April 12, 2022

double-hr_original.gif?1308456130
DHS Seal Identity

USCIS Moves to Strategic Data-Driven Approach to Waive Interviews for Conditional Permanent Residents

Dear Stakeholder,

On Thursday, April 7, 2022, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it will take a risk-based approach to waiving interviews for conditional permanent residents (CPRs) who file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. The Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman (CIS Ombudsman) fully supports this change as it reflects one of the recommendations from our 2021 Annual Report to Congress.

What Does This Mean?

USCIS will no longer require everyone who obtained their CPR status via processing at a U.S. consulate overseas to go to an interview after they file a Form I-751.

Instead, USCIS will assess if a CPR needs an I-751 interview based on whether:

• There is sufficient evidence in the file that the marriage is real,
  • The CPR is eligible for a waiver of the joint-filing requirement (if applicable),
  • There is no indication of fraud or misrepresentation in the file,
  • There are no complex facts or issues that require an interview to resolve, and
  • The CPR does not have a criminal history that would make him/her removable from the U.S.

Why This Matters

In 2018, USCIS implemented a policy requiring mandatory interviews for all CPRs who obtained their status through consular processing. In our Annual Report to Congress last year, we found that this policy did not help USCIS to detect more marriage fraud cases. It did, however, dramatically increase processing times and backlogs. As a result, one recommendation we made was for USCIS to rely solely on a risk-based analysis for interview waivers.

By adopting this risk-based approach, USCIS is working smarter. This approach allows USCIS to strategically focus its interviews—which take more time, staff, and resources—on cases where there is a question of fraud or national security. It will also help USCIS use its staff and resources more efficiently, improve processing times, and reduce its backlog to the benefit of all applicants and petitioners.

More Information 

View USCIS’ news release and its Policy Manual for Commentpage for more information on this change and how to submit comments to USCIS.

The CIS Ombudsman is committed to meeting with stakeholders and USCIS to address concerns related to CPRs and Form I-751. We will share additional updates on this topic when available. For more information on our office, please visit www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman or follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Please complete the CIS Ombudsman Customer Satisfaction Survey. We appreciate your feedback.

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Wonder if they are going to waive more interviews for those of us that were waived due to the pandemic. I don't know about my case, but like you said, they were so satisfied with the evidence I sent for my AOS, that they might as well decide to waive this one too. I guess we'll have to wait for a year and see. 

I kid you not, I sent them the kitchen sink. I was this close to asking my dogs to write an affivadit of support for us🤣

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, HarryWL said:

Fingers crossed it leads to real change, but this is USCIS after all.. let's not be fooled. 

I wouldn't anticipate any miracles but if they even shaved a month or so off our wait time as a result of this it would be great.  Last step before the N-400.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.