sarabou17

documents needed to study in US after getting CR 1

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey guys,  has anyone's Moroccan spouse gone to college or university after arriving in the US with CR1?  If so, what documents did the American university require for admission?  We are wondering if my husband needs to dig up his high school transcript or if the transcript from his technical institute will suffice.  I thought you could request all of this online in Morocco but that is not the case apparently 😕 

Edited by sarabou17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

treated as a foreign student as not a USC with US diplomas 

need to pass certain tests according to the college standards 

tech schools (unless one like Cal tech or MIT, etc)  need money for classes and are less strict about past education and many immigrants go there for classes in truck driving or other short term certificates that lead the person for fast employment

colleges and universities have the following tests and can require all or combination of 1 or more

Adil came with his 2 year transcript from the French school that offered higher education in Morocco

but TN offers free 2 years of tuition for community college and other 2 year degrees if u have a US high school or GED (TASC) so he went for that degree to help pay the cost

so,  check with state programs and local colleges to have a good plan of action

Required Tests for International Students

• SAT: Scholastic Aptitude Test. ...
  • GRE: Graduate Record Examination. ...
  • GRE Subject Tests. ...
  • GMAT: General Management Aptitude Test. ...
  • TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language.

Timeline
14 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

treated as a foreign student as not a USC with US diplomas 

need to pass certain tests according to the college standards 

tech schools (unless one like Cal tech or MIT, etc)  need money for classes and are less strict about past education and many immigrants go there for classes in truck driving or other short term certificates that lead the person for fast employment

colleges and universities have the following tests and can require all or combination of 1 or more

Adil came with his 2 year transcript from the French school that offered higher education in Morocco

but TN offers free 2 years of tuition for community college and other 2 year degrees if u have a US high school or GED (TASC) so he went for that degree to help pay the cost

so,  check with state programs and local colleges to have a good plan of action

Required Tests for International Students

• SAT: Scholastic Aptitude Test. ...
  • GRE: Graduate Record Examination. ...
  • GRE Subject Tests. ...
  • GMAT: General Management Aptitude Test. ...
  • TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language.

Thank you JeanneAdil!  This is encouraging!  So your husband was able to do the GED even though he completed high school in Morocco?  It says on the requirements to do GED that you have to have not completed high school.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, sarabou17 said:

Thank you JeanneAdil!  This is encouraging!  So your husband was able to do the GED even though he completed high school in Morocco?  It says on the requirements to do GED that you have to have not completed high school.

high school (they say college in morocco ) with a baccalaureate degree and then he completed 2 years of college

but we did the GED here to get the 2 year's free tuition 

the advisor we said  told us the GED requirements of getting high school refers to US degrees / most programs for GED in US don't have knowledge of foreign subjects and degree programs or acknowledge foreign degrees in 3rd world countries and the following is what they go by

According to a 2014 Unesco report, Morocco was ranked among the 21 worst countries in the field of education, with more than half of students in public schools failing to acquire necessary reading and math skills. It has become very difficult for students at public schools to pursue a decent career.Mar 7, 2018

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

high school (they say college in morocco ) with a baccalaureate degree and then he completed 2 years of college

the advisor we said  told us the GED requirements of getting high school refers to US degrees / most programs for GED in US don't have knowledge of foreign subjects and degree programs or acknowledge foreign degrees in 3rd world countries and the following is what they go by

According to a 2014 Unesco report, Morocco was ranked among the 21 worst countries in the field of education, with more than half of students in public schools failing to acquire necessary reading and math skills. It has become very difficult for students at public schools to pursue a decent career.Mar 7, 2018

I beg to differ here 🙂 

My Moroccan High School degree was accepted here with no issues and then my Bachelor's Degree (Moroccan Licence Es-Sciences) was also recognized through WES (had to do the equivalency).

I had to submit my WES transcripts as equivalent to the Moroccan degree when I did my MBA.

Moroccan educational degrees are recognized and accepted by US colleges and universities

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Timeline
3 hours ago, etrangais said:

I beg to differ here 🙂 

My Moroccan High School degree was accepted here with no issues and then my Bachelor's Degree (Moroccan Licence Es-Sciences) was also recognized through WES (had to do the equivalency).

I had to submit my WES transcripts as equivalent to the Moroccan degree when I did my MBA.

Moroccan educational degrees are recognized and accepted by US colleges and universities

that's why i said check with her state 

as i am stating Tn rules for GED 

Timeline
7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Yes Morocco has the French school system levels: middle school is collège, high school is lycée, which is why it's confusing for them that we called university "college" LOL  I did call someone at the GED just in case we can't get equivalency with his transcripts and they confirmed that my husband can take the GED even though he graduated from high school in Morocco.  Thanks again for the info! :D  I didn't realize that GED is accepted globally:

The GED® program is the only higher secondary certificate available in over 85 countries and accepted by nearly all universities in the U.S. and many across the world. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, etrangais said:

I beg to differ here 🙂 

Wow that's great!  That's also encouraging.  My husband mentioned WES.  I had never heard of it LOL  We'll try both ways, WES and GED and see which gets him further.  Thanks for sharing your experience!

Timeline
On 4/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, etrangais said:

I beg to differ here 🙂 

My high school diploma was accepted as well in addition to my transcript. the college I went to gave me the option to take ESL classes based on my English score, and I had the option to take a higher level English than what I scored in the test. it all worked out well at the end. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Yes bring any education transcripts he has available. Though education credits don’t always parallel transfer, it varies by entity, school, and employer. Some may choose to get their transcripts evaluated by a reputable source such as NACES but you might want to wait because his employer might refer him to their own evaluators or accept his degree at face value.

For example our local County requests transcripts and must be evaluated by their approved vendors. Whereas a non government facility accepted the Certificate without the transcript.
At our local Community College they didn’t accept his Moroccan bachelor’s and had him enroll in the HS diploma program; he didn’t need ESL and tested college level Math & English. He decided to enroll in a certificate program instead of a degree program through the same CC and is studying to get licensed through the state. 

Edited by Josie333

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.