Applying for dual citizenship (split)

17 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2014 at 5:52 PM, Hank_ said:

Consular Outreach Program in Houston, Texas on 07 to 09 March 2014:

West Oaks Plaza, Suite 173
2703 Highway 6 South, Houston, TX 77082

Service Hours : 9:00 am – 12:00 nn; 12:30 pm – 5:00 pm

Hello sir Hank.
i know this forum was too old because I can’t find it the latest or I just don’t know where to find it. 
I have a question about dual citizenship. I am now a US citizen former Filipino and I want to apply for dual citizenship. 
Is the Philippine Consulate in Houston, Texas still open sir Hank for Filipino wanted to apply a dual citizen? If not where I can apply for my Filipino citizen? 
I am sorry if my English is bad because this is my second language. I live outside Dallas, Texas in Anna City. And I am always reading your post sir hank I am one of your followers.

Thank you in advance sir Hank…

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is current info to contact the consulate

9990 Richmond Avenue, Suite 100N, Houston, Texas 77042
+1 (832) 668 5139 ; +1(713) 492 0469 ; +1(346) 293 8773
Emergency Contact No. +1 (346) 256 4522

Email address pcghouston.consular@gmail.com

Consular Jurisdiction: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One Hijack post split to its own thread and another Hijack post removed. DO not post questions for your own case in other members threads.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

46 minutes ago, Lola Lolo said:

Hello sir Talako.
May I ask if your wife is a dual citizen now? Did she have her oath at Houston Consulate? What is the documents that your wife submitted to Houston Consulate sir is it all original , and have to be notarized? How did she submit her documents thru mail, email or walk-in .? I want to make sure I have all the documents when I’m going to Houston because I am outside of Dallas like almost 5 to 6 hours drive.
I am sorry 😞 for asking to many questions sir. Because i am going to apply also my Filipino citizenship sir.  I forgot to mention is it possible to apply also a PH passport at the same time? Hoping I get my oath!

Thank you in advance sir and just to congratulate your wife is she’s dual citizenship now I hope.🙏

First, don't go to the Consulate until you have researched and understand the process and requirements.  It is a mail in process at this time.  You cannot apply in person with your documents anymore.

Yes, my wife became a dual citizen on December 23, 2001.  The whole process took her 4 months.

The first part of the process is done by mail.  The application form, copies of the requested documents, and photos are submitted to the Houston Consulate by mail.  The only original and notarized form that was mailed in was the Dual Citizenship application form.  You keep all the originals of the copies you made in case they want to look at them at the Consulate during your personal appearance.

After waiting during processing (3 months for her), you will receive an email to attend a virtual oath-taking.  For my wife it was a Xoom like meeting on the computer with a consular officer and 20+ others.  It was basically an info session with the ceremony at the end.  When her oath was scheduled, they also gave her a date (30 days later) to personally show up at the Houston Consulate to come claim and sign her documents. 

First thing to do is go here are read the requirements:  https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/consular-services/dual-citizenship

This is what you will find:

HOW DOES ONE REACQUIRE PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP UNDER REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9225?

Natural-born Filipinos who lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country may re-acquire Philippine citizenship by taking the Philippine Oath of Allegiance before a duly authorized Philippine official.  The Philippine Oath of Allegiance does not require a person to renounce his allegiance to any other country.

Those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or perfect their Philippine citizenship are considered natural-born Filipinos. These are persons:

• Whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines at the time of their birth; or
  • Born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, and that person elects Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority.

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?

1. Photocopy of the following documents (original copies to be presented during on-site claiming and signing of dual citizenship documents):

a. Birth Certificate from the National Statistics Office (NSO)/Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

b. Foreign Naturalization Certificate 

In the absence of a birth certificate (1.a. above), a combination of the following two (2) Documents from the Philippines:

• Old Philippine Passport
  • Philippine Birth Certificate
  • Philippine Marriage Certificate
  • ID issued by a Philippine Government Agency with your photo, full name, date of birth and nationality indicated (ex. LTO driver’s license and Postal ID)

In the absence of a foreign naturalization certificate (1.b. above), execute an Affidavit of Explanation for not submitting Naturalization Certificate 

2. Photocopy of the applicant's US passport data page (the original passport to be presented during on-site claiming and signing of documents)

3. For those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, and then elects Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority.

Certified True Copy/Certification issued by a Philippine local civil registrar (LCR) that the statement of electing Philippine citizenship and oath of allegiance to the Philippines is registered with their office.

4. For married female applicants, a copy of her marriage certificate.

5. Completed Dual Citizenship Application Form

6. Three (3) 2x2 Colored ID Photos with White Background without eyeglasses or colored contact lens taken within six (6) months from application.

The Consular Officer reserves the right to request additional documents from the applicant

To apply:

HOW CAN WE APPLY?

Submission of requirements

Submission of applications for dual citizenship shall be BY MAIL ONLY.

You may send your application together with other requirements to the Philippine Consulate General in Houston at 9990 Richmond Ave. Suite 100N Houston, TX 77042.

If all of the documents are in order, applicants shall be notified by e-mail of the approval of the application and the schedule of the virtual oath-taking.

Personal on-site appearance before the Consulate General is required for the signing and claiming of dual citizenship documents and will be scheduled accordingly.

The originals of all supporting documents should be presented on-site as a precondition to the claiming and signing of dual citizenship documents. 

Applicants are also advised to bring cash for the payment of fees. 

Of course any and all of it may or may not change tomorrow, so always check their website for the process. 

Finally done.

13 hours ago, Talako said:

First, don't go to the Consulate until you have researched and understand the process and requirements.  It is a mail in process at this time.  You cannot apply in person with your documents anymore.

Yes, my wife became a dual citizen on December 23, 2001.  The whole process took her 4 months.

The first part of the process is done by mail.  The application form, copies of the requested documents, and photos are submitted to the Houston Consulate by mail.  The only original and notarized form that was mailed in was the Dual Citizenship application form.  You keep all the originals of the copies you made in case they want to look at them at the Consulate during your personal appearance.

After waiting during processing (3 months for her), you will receive an email to attend a virtual oath-taking.  For my wife it was a Xoom like meeting on the computer with a consular officer and 20+ others.  It was basically an info session with the ceremony at the end.  When her oath was scheduled, they also gave her a date (30 days later) to personally show up at the Houston Consulate to come claim and sign her documents. 

First thing to do is go here are read the requirements:  https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/consular-services/dual-citizenship

This is what you will find:

To apply:

Of course any and all of it may or may not change tomorrow, so always check their website for the process. 

Sir Talako good morning. Thank you for the info appreciate it and the quick response. Have a nice day!

20 minutes ago, Lola Lolo said:

Sir Talako good morning. Thank you for the info appreciate it and the quick response. Have a nice day!

Sir Talako, the picture I uploaded below is that the form that I will make to notarize? And can I go anywhere to get notarize this form or there is a specific place?  I’ll just to make sure if this is correct form sir? Once again thank you so much. 

52B4DF3B-095D-4DAC-8119-7B535DD40F2E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lola Lolo said:

Sir Talako, the picture I uploaded below is that the form that I will make to notarize? And can I go anywhere to get notarize this form or there is a specific place?  I’ll just to make sure if this is correct form sir? Once again thank you so much. 

Yes that is the correct form.  To be honest, I would use the form version on the Houston Consulate's website rather than the Embassy.  While the same form, they are slightly different.  Does it matter?  Probably not, but I always error on the side of caution to the point of being obsessive compulsive.

You can have it notarized anywhere.  My wife did hers at our credit union because they do it for free.

You asked about the new passport.  So, once you have the appointment to sign and pick up your dual citizen documents, you can try to schedule the passport appointment right after.  Leave yourself some time to make copies of the DC documents. 

Edited by Talako
VJ didn't like my word choices

Finally done.

3 hours ago, Talako said:

Yes that is the correct form.  To be honest, I would use the form version on the Houston Consulate's website rather than the Embassy.  While the same form, they are slightly different.  Does it matter?  Probably not, but I always error on the side of caution to the point of being obsessive compulsive.

You can have it notarized anywhere.  My wife did hers at our credit union because they do it for free.

You asked about the new passport.  So, once you have the appointment to sign and pick up your dual citizen documents, you can try to schedule the passport appointment right after.  Leave yourself some time to make copies of the DC documents. 

Thank you so much sir Talako, from this clarification because I already recheck the form and yes slightly different. I attach sir, the new form just for piece of mind , that this is the correct Houston form for dual citizenship and passport form.. and yes i will make a copies of  my DC documents. Okay I’ll keep that in mind about applying for passport. 

Thanks for all the help sir. 🙏

AAA14A5E-1904-43F5-A886-F21862868C2D.jpeg

0D44EE48-5FD1-4FD1-95B2-989F77DFAF18.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Lola Lolo said:

Thank you so much sir Talako, from this clarification because I already recheck the form and yes slightly different. I attach sir, the new form just for piece of mind , that this is the correct Houston form for dual citizenship and passport form.. and yes i will make a copies of  my DC documents. Okay I’ll keep that in mind about applying for passport. 

Thanks for all the help sir. 🙏

AAA14A5E-1904-43F5-A886-F21862868C2D.jpeg

Not sure where you got that form, but the Houston Consulate's version has its name and address at the top.  This one from their website:  https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/images/2019/Forms/DUAL_CITIZENSHIP_APPLICTION_FORM.pdf

You can use either, so your choice.

The passport application is correct.  Use this for the requirements:  https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/consular-services/passport-services

Finally done.

7 minutes ago, Talako said:

Not sure where you got that form, but the Houston Consulate's version has its name and address at the top.  This one from their website:  https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/images/2019/Forms/DUAL_CITIZENSHIP_APPLICTION_FORM.pdf

You can use either, so your choice.

The passport application is correct.  Use this for the requirements:  https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/consular-services/passport-services

Yes I’ve noticed that too after I sent you the reply that has no name of Houston in the form. And big thanks to this link sir Talako..

I have a question sir, in the dual form in number 17 question they ask about your Philippine Permanent Address ? I don’t have What should I put sir. Because I only go to my brothers home or hotel if I go for vacation. This is make me crazy to think 🤔? Or should I put N/A instead… Maybe in the future we will buy house in the Philippines.

Once again sir thank you. 🙏 

5 hours ago, Lola Lolo said:

Yes I’ve noticed that too after I sent you the reply that has no name of Houston in the form. And big thanks to this link sir Talako..

I have a question sir, in the dual form in number 17 question they ask about your Philippine Permanent Address ? I don’t have What should I put sir. Because I only go to my brothers home or hotel if I go for vacation. This is make me crazy to think 🤔? Or should I put N/A instead… Maybe in the future we will buy house in the Philippines.

Once again sir thank you. 🙏 

We put "N/A" as my wife is here in the US with no permanent home in the Philippines.  Based on your response above, use "N/A" as well.

Finally done.

Filed: Timeline

Can someone help me?

I have 2000 sq meter land with hotel business and 1000 sq meter land agriculture/commercial.
I wanted to keep ownership of this property and continue operating my business. Kayalang po I am planning to get USA Citizenship and then immediately get Dual citizenship for Philippines. 
Do I need to sell or am I allowed to keep and operate my property and businesses while in the process of getting usa and Philippines dual citizenship?

35 minutes ago, A from Philippine said:

Can someone help me?

I have 2000 sq meter land with hotel business and 1000 sq meter land agriculture/commercial.
I wanted to keep ownership of this property and continue operating my business. Kayalang po I am planning to get USA Citizenship and then immediately get Dual citizenship for Philippines. 
Do I need to sell or am I allowed to keep and operate my property and businesses while in the process of getting usa and Philippines dual citizenship?

I'm a white dude from Texas and not a Filipino lawyer, but it is my understanding that you are ok.  Natural born Filipinos who become naturalized citizens of another country can still own land but with restrictions.

Those restrictions for business property are 5000 square meters of urban land or three hectares of rural land.

A quick Google search gave me:  https://sydneypcg.dfa.gov.ph/gen-info/162-land-owning-in-the-phils#:~:text=Philippine real estate law does,%2C buildings%2C condominiums and townhouses.

There is this from the LA Consulate:  https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/useful-links/owning-real-property-in-the-philippines

Former natural-born Filipinos can own land in the Philippines, subject to limitations prescribed by Philippine Republic Act 8179 (for residence purposes- up to 1000 square meters of urban land or one hectare of rural land) and Batas Pambansa 185 (for business or investment purposes 5000 square meters of urban land or three hectares of rural land).

So, no need to sell.  I believe you are good with the property with whatever you decide on citizenship.

Finally done.

5 hours ago, A from Philippine said:

Can someone help me?

As far as i know you have that property base on your Filipino by birth so nothing to worry about that.. Even if you will become a US Citizen it is still yours but if you but a new property/land then this time there is a limit for you because you are a US Citizen and same if you get dual the limitation is the same.

Correct me if i am wrong but that is my understanding. 

Good afternoon sir Talako.. 

About the payment when can I pay the fees in Houston? I am going to send my application may be next week. I am sorry to bother you sir, because I can’t really focus straight right now because my husband is sick. I know  this is my personal problem. To be honest sir my husband he is the one who did all my paperwork starting from my visa until my naturalization but everything change after he become sick. Now I need to do it myself all this paperwork but my husband still helping me.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.