Mohcha

N-400 'decision can not be made yet'

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I had an interview last week and passed the test but the IO said I have other A#s she has to find before decision is made,.

I sure LATER found out from my previous paperwork  that I have 4 different A#s issued by USCIS on my previous benefit applications.

Will this be a problem in deciding my case?

thank you for your encouraging answers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It will certainly delay it, because -if I understood the situation accurately- they have to do background checks on four different people. Why do you have so many diferente alien registration numbers?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

11 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

u would know better than us if u had any overstays or issues with any entry

I came with K1 but married after 90 days.I485 denied as a result.My ex h kept this two NOAs which I realize have 2 different A#s.

The 3rd A# which I got green card with current wife ,was not put on green card to match the I130.

USCIS assigned all these

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

It seems it will probably delay it.  I had an A-file that had to be reviewed (previous J1 visa) and it took 9 months to retrieve after the interview.  Maybe the process is speeding up right now, but don't be surprised it takes a few months.  There is a similar thread with lots of non-decisions if you want to read through, you are not alone:

The fact that in USCIS world you exist as 4 different aliens is very troubling. There are 2 potential risks in this situation: 1) USCIS may not have all of your 4 A-files, 2) even if they have them they are so inept that they need constant nudging to get to your case. 

To mitigate risk #1 you need to file FOIA for all 4 A-numbers and request all your A-files. This will help retrieve your A-files from various caves in NARA and deliver them to USCIS and to you. Then, you need to work with risk #2 and nudge them by filing outside of normal processing time requests, requesting call backs from Tier 2 officers by calling their numbers, contacting congressmen, senators and DHS ombudsman pointing to the fact that you have 4 A-files which you might present as clear USCIS error that is causing your hardship and utter suffering.

All this may not yield immediate results but you are waiting anyway and it is unlikely that these actions will extend the delay. At least you might feel that you are doing something. 

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... and who will not become a public charge!

16 hours ago, Mohcha said:

Hi all,

I had an interview last week and passed the test but the IO said I have other A#s she has to find before decision is made,.

I sure LATER found out from my previous paperwork  that I have 4 different A#s issued by USCIS on my previous benefit applications.

Will this be a problem in deciding my case?

thank you for your encouraging answers.

We had (3) A numbers that caused a brief delay while she scrambled to find the files. It’s likely the same problem but your IO wasn’t able to find all the records.

Absent legal or presence issues that would affect your eligibility you’ll likely be OK.

45 minutes ago, Libertate said:

The fact that in USCIS world you exist as 4 different aliens is very troubling. There are 2 potential risks in this situation: 1) USCIS may not have all of your 4 A-files, 2) even if they have them they are so inept that they need constant nudging to get to your case. 

To mitigate risk #1 you need to file FOIA for all 4 A-numbers and request all your A-files. This will help retrieve your A-files from various caves in NARA and deliver them to USCIS and to you. Then, you need to work with risk #2 and nudge them by filing outside of normal processing time requests, requesting call backs from Tier 2 officers by calling their numbers, contacting congressmen, senators and DHS ombudsman pointing to the fact that you have 4 A-files which you might present as clear USCIS error that is causing your hardship and utter suffering.

All this may not yield immediate results but you are waiting anyway and it is unlikely that these actions will extend the delay. At least you might feel that you are doing something. 

It seems to be common.  They create new A numbers each time the immigrant files for a new “core” immigration benefit.

Example surrender green card and refile later - new A number.  Returning resident visa - new A number.  It can become a convoluted mess for an IO who has to look over an applicant’s entire history in a citizenship interview.

15 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

It will certainly delay it, because -if I understood the situation accurately- they have to do background checks on four different people. Why do you have so many diferente alien registration numbers?

The first two my ex wife had filed the applications and she kept the paperwork when we divorced.When I applied for the third A#benefit {EAD},They assigned a different A#.It happens and it’s USCIS error.

42 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

It seems to be common.  They create new A numbers each time the immigrant files for a new “core” immigration benefit.

Example surrender green card and refile later - new A number.  Returning resident visa - new A number.  It can become a convoluted mess for an IO who has to look over an applicant’s entire history in a citizenship interview.

I agree.Thanks

3 minutes ago, Mohcha said:

The first two my ex wife had filed the applications and she kept the paperwork when we divorced.When I applied for the third A#benefit {EAD},They assigned a different A#.It happens and it’s USCIS error.

I agree.Thanks

My case I left the country after my i485 was denied because we had married after 90 days(late) for k1.

I came back after 4 years outside on a i601 waiver based on a new i130 through mother of my daughter.

it is a mess.

2 minutes ago, Mohcha said:

Makes sense.  Your original path through your wife’s petition was effectively over.  Not sure if it is an error or just the way they start a “new” immigration path.  

1 hour ago, Libertate said:

On FOIA ,I think one of my immigration lawyer has it .Not sure if they forward it to me ,it can help.

10 minutes ago, Mohcha said:

My case I left the country after my i485 was denied because we had married after 90 days(late) for k1.

I came back after 4 years outside on a i601 waiver based on a new i130 through mother of my daughter.

it is a mess.

OK we left the country and abandoned a green card, then re-filed a couple years later to come back.

Left the country after that returned on SB1 with the second green card returned to us at the POE when we entered.  That was last entry, almost four years ago.

One A number for the abandoned card, one on the new card, a third on the SB1 visa.

We were processed in on the SB1 A number and did not discover there was a mismatch with the green card until we tried to file N-400 and the default A-number in the USCIS account didn’t match the green card.  

I ran a self check on the green card and it showed valid, so it took forever to find the A number from the account in the body of the SB1 visa.

Luckily once I figured out what happened I scanned both (visa and green card) into the N400 application file.  At interview the IO had to scramble to find everything but luckily she did.  We also brought both (green card and visa) to the interview.

Your situation sounds very similar.  I think you have at worst a delay while they link things up but I highly doubt you have an issue.  Best of luck.

Edited by iwannaplay54

7 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

OK we left the country and abandoned a green card, then re-filed a couple years later to come back.

Left the country after that returned on SB1 with the second green card returned to us at the POE when we entered.  That was last entry, almost four years ago.

One A number for the abandoned card, one on the new card, a third on the SB1 visa.

We were processed in on the SB1 A number and did not discover there was a mismatch with the green card until we tried to file N-400 and the default A-number in the USCIS account didn’t match the green card.  

I ran a self check on the green card and it showed valid, so it took forever to find the A number from the account in the body of the SB1 visa.

Luckily once I figured out what happened I scanned both (visa and green card) into the N400 application file.  At interview the IO had to scramble to find everything but luckily she did.  We also brought both (green card and visa) to the interview.

Your situation sounds very similar.  I think you have at worst a delay while they link things up but I highly doubt you have an issue.  Best of luck.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have a total of 15 years here and I deserve to get this.No criminal record other than an over stay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.