needinganswersbda

Older woman, younger man = likely denial? (10 years!)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancé is 30 year old Bermudian female, and I’m a 20 year old American male. 

We have been together for just over a year, and recently engaged. Soon, I will be petitioning for her to come to the states on a K-1 visa. 

Apparently relationships where the woman is significantly older are much more highly scrutinised than when it’s an older man...

She is not in a high fraud country and we have plenty of evidence to prove a bonafide relationship (phone records that are hours long each day, trips, gifts, photos). But my concern is that we’ll go through all of this for nothing. Because I’m “too young” or whatever the case may be.

In your opinion, would this present a large problem for our application? 

Any experience or otherwise advice appreciated. 

Edited by needinganswersbda

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

To follow on Jorgedig's question, I'll add that K-1 visas are super behind right now- it's at the point where people who filed in last March have been waiting for over a year when the initial estimate when they filed was something more like 6-8 months. Barring any huge positive change (hopefully this does happen!) this could potentially be even worse another year out.

A lot of people have been recommending CR-1 over K-1 lately. I would suggest investigating that or hearing from people more knowledgeable on the subject and perhaps considering that route instead. From what I know, CR-1 is less money, potentially faster now, but does require a higher demonstrated income than a fiancee visa does. (I think it's 125% poverty level for marriage visa v.s. 100% poverty level for fiancee visa.)

But to answer your initial question with my own opinion, it sounds like you're good on proof of bona fide relationship! I personally don't think they'll doubt you with the amount of evidence you have. Records of multiple trips, (on that note, I'll suggest timestamped receipts of activities- stores, restaurants, hotels, movies, are good to present) many photos and phone records of long calls should be quite sufficient.

Edited by charlottewitch

7 hours ago, needinganswersbda said:

Hi,

My fiancé is 30 year old Bermudian female, and I’m a 20 year old American male. 

We have been together for just over a year, and recently engaged. Soon, I will be petitioning for her to come to the states on a K-1 visa. 

Apparently relationships where the woman is significantly older are much more highly scrutinised than when it’s an older man...

She is not in a high fraud country and we have plenty of evidence to prove a bonafide relationship (phone records that are hours long each day, trips, gifts, photos). But my concern is that we’ll go through all of this for nothing. Because I’m “too young” or whatever the case may be.

In your opinion, would this present a large problem for our application? 

Any experience or otherwise advice appreciated. 

Generally the issue is an older American woman and a younger man from a high fraud country. 

You might have issues not because you're "too young" but you do not have the income to sponsor an immigrant. 

Have you researched what the K1 entails? Are you okay supporting your partner for a year while they are unable to work? (they might not be able to drive either-depending on the state). 

Holiday romance is one thing. Living together in the US is another beast entirely. 

The K1 financial requirements aren't too stringent as @charlottewitch mentions but the adjustment of status is costly and you the wage requirement is higher. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

10 years is not a big age difference

being 20 years is young to marriage

differences immigration will look at are cultural,   education,  religion,  

going to bring a girl to Mass when she lives in Bermuda??? expect her to go thru homesickness as will be house bound in 4 walls while she waits for the AOS process ( $1225 after marriage) / the dramatic change in weather and not seeing family for month on end are going to be hard on her

can u afford health insurance for her?

if she is into marrying ,  go and marry 

do the spouse visa

by the interview,  you'll have more time together and 2 years onto your 20

she can work immediately when she comes,  have a SS #,  DL,  and return home to see family (at this point u have no idea how important all this is)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.