Nay2223

Advice on abandoned K1 visa now disrupting renewal of B-1/B-2 visa :(

42 posts in this topic

Timeline
On 3/11/2022 at 12:46 PM, African Zealot said:

To be very clear, the fact that someone has an immigrant petition pending doesn’t automatically disqualify that person from getting a non immigrant visa. Many people with pending immigrant petitions have successfully renewed their non immigrant visas and traveled on them.

Immigrant intent is determined by the consular officer at time of application for the particular trip you’re applying for, or by the CBP officer at the border for that particular visit. You can have immigrant intent for when your immigrant visa is approved but not for this particular visa application or this particular visit.

I just felt I needed to emphasize that.

However overall having displayed immigrant intent for any particular period, now or in the future is a red flag for your non immigrant visa application regardless. 

A waste of time, won’t do diddly squat for his application or credibility, could rather be a red flag.

Thanks for this - decided to leave K1 in Lagos alone 

Dropbox renewal was eventually denied.. he was told to schedule interview (as expected). Earliest date is in December though, so now doing an appeal for sooner interview date. Meanwhile L1 visa pending with his work (recent development) so should be here by May anyway. Just a lot going on. 

Trying one last effort with appeal for earlier date - but working on damage control on the back end. 

Edited by Nay2223

Timeline
On 3/11/2022 at 7:22 AM, jan22 said:

I know this is not what you want to hear, but if there's any way to recoup some of your money for the April event by cancelling or rescheduling it, I would begin to do so sooner than later.  I would like to be wrong, but I'm 99+% sure he will not get a B2 visitor visa without an interview, which is the only way the visa could be issued within a month.  Why do I say he will need an interview?   If I understood all of the following points from your posts correctly:

1. National of a very high fraud country.
  2. Last B2 vIsa issued in Nigeria (I assume).
  3. Visa application to renew that visa denied in Nigeria.
  4. Immigrated to Canada, first B2 application there, so no consular evaluation of Canadian situation.
  5. US citizen spouse, with clear intent to immigrate as soon as possible.

All of these issues will be of concern to the officer reviewing the "drop box" application for a visitor visa.  The only way to get those answers and maybe issue the B2 visa is to interview him.  

Appreciate the feedback - this is where we’ve landed 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Appeal?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

. Meanwhile L1 visa pending with his work (recent development) so should be here by May anyway. Just a lot going on. 

An L-1 visa is a visa document used to enter the United States for the purpose of work in L-1 status. It is a non-immigrant visa

just so u know

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Dual intent

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Nay2223 said:

Thanks for this - decided to leave K1 in Lagos alone 

Dropbox renewal was eventually denied.. he was told to schedule interview (as expected). Earliest date is in December though, so now doing an appeal for sooner interview date. Meanwhile L1 visa pending with his work (recent development) so should be here by May anyway. Just a lot going on. 

Trying one last effort with appeal for earlier date - but working on damage control on the back end. 

They might release interview dates that occur sooner/ someone might cancel their interview. 

I would keep checking the calendar and not just rely on the appeal. 

8 hours ago, Nay2223 said:

Well apparently there’s a way to request an emergency appointment. Of course it’s one of the applicable categories, but encouraged to try anyway . 

Renewal of vows is not an emergency.

Timeline
4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

. Meanwhile L1 visa pending with his work (recent development) so should be here by May anyway. Just a lot going on. 

An L-1 visa is a visa document used to enter the United States for the purpose of work in L-1 status. It is a non-immigrant visa

just so u know

yes, its non-immigrant, but dual intent in that he can then apply for green card once here

6 hours ago, Nay2223 said:

meant to say Of course it’s NOT one of the applicable categories, but was encouraged to try anyway 

Who encouraged you to apply? 

I know B1/B2 denials do not impact immigrant visa applications but do you really want to bother the consulate with frivolous requests? 

Not immigration advice but I would cancel the wedding ceremony in April and try to recoup costs.

Immigration advice: I would focus on the L1 application. May is only a month later... Why have your partner in the US in April if he plans to move to the US in May? When would he attend his L1 interview? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.