Orion22

Acceptable translations and stamps?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
I went to the county governor in my country today to get an apostille stamp on my documents for name change. They stamped the original document, but said I had to take the translated version to the local court to get it notary stamped.
At the court they said they couldn't stamp it because I had used an American firm to translate it (Rush translate, which saved me over $100 for one document). 
The guy asked if I really needed it to be notary stamped, or if Rush translate could get it notarized in the states before sending it to me again. Right now it just has a ATA stamp and signature on it.

Does anyone know what will be accepted by NVC/Embassy? I want to make sure we have the right documents and stamps so we don't waste any time.

💒5.5.2020

PD 2021-05-20

Vermont Service Center

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Notarized translation isn't required but whoever translated it, they should wrote a sworn statement saying they certify that the translation is correct and they know both langauges.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Orion22 said:
I went to the county governor in my country today to get an apostille stamp on my documents for name change. They stamped the original document, but said I had to take the translated version to the local court to get it notary stamped.
At the court they said they couldn't stamp it because I had used an American firm to translate it (Rush translate, which saved me over $100 for one document). 
The guy asked if I really needed it to be notary stamped, or if Rush translate could get it notarized in the states before sending it to me again. Right now it just has a ATA stamp and signature on it.

Does anyone know what will be accepted by NVC/Embassy? I want to make sure we have the right documents and stamps so we don't waste any time.

Arken's answer is correct too, but I'm confused about why you need anything for a name change.  That sound like an internal Norway issue, not something for US Immigration.  Apostilles are not part of any US immigration requirement.  Please clarify.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Thank you both!

The name change documents was listed as required documents for Norway for CR1/IR1 applications.

I was told the documents needed stamps, but I might have misunderstood about the translated documents.

The translated version has a sworn statement as mentioned above, so then it seems I have everything I need.

💒5.5.2020

PD 2021-05-20

Vermont Service Center

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Orion22 said:

Thank you both!

The name change documents was listed as required documents for Norway for CR1/IR1 applications.

I was told the documents needed stamps, but I might have misunderstood about the translated documents.

The translated version has a sworn statement as mentioned above, so then it seems I have everything I need.

We are very familiar with the source, "I was told." as usually unreliable.  Rely on the actual form instructions instead.  If you were told which stamps and why, then it might make sense.  If had a legal name change unrelated to your current or other marriage, A CERTIFIED COPY of the actual court documents indicating the name change, plus as translation (certified by the translator) is what is needed.  If all name changes were due to marriage, then  each marriage certificate and translation is what is needed.  No apostille is needed for any US Immigration related purpose.

Certified copies are certified by the agency issuing the copy.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.