Jingles

SOFA for non US citizen spouse and kids

9 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi , 

I am a US citizen, DoD contractor woring for the US army here in Germany. My wife and kids are non US citizens and hold Ghanaian passports, non green card holders, however thay are on my orders and been cleared for SOFA status. In order to get sofa the Sofa Card, an I-130 approval is required. Any advise on how to go about this? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 7:21 PM, Jingles said:

Hi , 

I am a US citizen, DoD contractor woring for the US army here in Germany. My wife and kids are non US citizens and hold Ghanaian passports, non green card holders, however thay are on my orders and been cleared for SOFA status. In order to get sofa the Sofa Card, an I-130 approval is required. Any advise on how to go about this? 

Without checking the Foreign Clearance Guide (FCG) you will probably have to sponsor them through USCIS.  There are certain countries authorized to travel to Germany without having the approved I-130.  I assume Ghana is not on that list if you are making this post.  I believe that if you used the Consular Process (https://de.usembassy.gov/military-families/) your family would have to be in Germany to actually attend the interview.  When you file the I-130 though USCIS you will choose the location you want them to do interview.  From what I've seen, they will do their interview at the nearest embassy and then be given a visa to enter the States.  I'm currently OCONUS also and I have a friend who's wife just got hers and it is good for 60 days I believe.  Luckily it coincided with his PCS back CONUS so it wasn't a huge deal.  They will then need to enter the States and will be processed for Green Cards.  I think the Green Cards are sent to a state-side address though...

Good Luck, I hope this helps a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did this for my wife who is Thai.

You need to email the Frankfurt Consulate at FrnUSCISInquiries@state.gov . 

When I did, I explained that I was here on SOFA and what I wanted to do, in that I needed an approved I-130 for my wife before I could bring her to Germany, and that I wanted to process her for a Green Card, and that she would go for her interview here in Frankfurt.  And I gave them evidence of all the facts that I stated.

The responded within a few days and gave me instructions on how to submit my I-130.  I submitted my I-130 and got an approval in 8 days.  Now I am going to the SOFA office to get my wife her SOFA card.  When she arrives in Germany, we will submit the DS260.

This is not difficult to do.  Just pay attention to their instructions and you will be ok.  

1 hour ago, Truth_Seeker said:

When I did, I explained that I was here on SOFA and what I wanted to do, in that I needed an approved I-130 for my wife before I could bring her to Germany, and that I wanted to process her for a Green Card, and that she would go for her interview here in Frankfurt.  And I gave them evidence of all the facts that I stated.

The responded within a few days and gave me instructions on how to submit my I-130.  I submitted my I-130 and got an approval in 8 days.  Now I am going to the SOFA office to get my wife her SOFA card.  When she arrives in Germany, we will submit the DS260.

This is not difficult to do.  Just pay attention to their instructions and you will be ok.  

Interesting this is needed in Germany. I am SOFA status in Japan and my Thai wife was able to get full SOFA status without first filing the i-130, but did need an ITIN tax ID number. We have since filed consular processing with USCIS and waiting for approval for her i-130 to go to NVC stage, but it was not required for anything in Japan for SOFA status.

Thai's can travel to Japan without getting a VISA before hand.  However for a Thai to travel to Germany is pretty difficult.  So with SOFA, I think as a general rule, if your dependent can't travel to the country where you have SOFA status, she more than likely will need to get a I-130 approval before they will issue a SOFA card.

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, Truth_Seeker said:

Hello!
Just wondering what the process was? I am currently in UK and filed our I-130 here but am being relocated to Ramstein in two weeks. My wife is from the Philippines and theres a SOFA Visa Checklist for restricted countries such as thailand and philippines. Our I-130 was approved through the consulate and they sent me a letter. Is that all she needs is an approved I-130? Does she require access to USA already such as non-immigrant or immigrant visa or green card?? I planned to do what you did and just have the case transferred to Frankfurt and have her do her DS-260 and Medical/Interview there. Also, did you get her a SOFA Card or did you have to mail/walk her passport in with documents to get stamped? Sorry for the questions lol ive just been digging for answers haha.

Thanks!

Ryan

Edited by highimryan

Timeline

Hi Ryan,

Its good to transfare the I 130 case to Frankfurt since you're relocating to Ramstein. You can process you SOFA on Base when you get to Ramstien. Just make sure you have all the necessary docs i.e marriage cert, your wife's passport, I 130 approval, your orders ( your wife should be on your orders ) . Best of luck!

23 minutes ago, Jingles said:

Hi Ryan,

Its good to transfare the I 130 case to Frankfurt since you're relocating to Ramstein. You can process you SOFA on Base when you get to Ramstien. Just make sure you have all the necessary docs i.e marriage cert, your wife's passport, I 130 approval, your orders ( your wife should be on your orders ) . Best of luck!

Thanks! I sent you a more detailed message with a few other questions if thats alright!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. Please start your own thread if you have questions about your own case.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.