Gloom

Multiple surname mistake - potential problem during AOS?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I was under the false impression, for a long time, that a middle name would be a name, or multiple names, coming between a given name and a surname. My name includes 1 given name and 2 surnames (A - given; M - first surname; D - last surname). Because M comes between my first and last names, I've filled it in in forms as a middle name. The result is a mix of documents and forms with my name listed both correctly and incorrectly.

My K1 paperwork all lists M as a middle name. My I-130 was filed correctly, and along with my passport, my visa therefore shows my name correctly (1 given, 2 surnames). However, my social security card shows only my first and last name, and I remember M was put down as a middle name during my appointment. Upon explaining that both M and D are surnames, the clerk seemed confused and still used M as a middle name, and told me that my SSN card would probably take longer to process due to the name inconsistencies (it did end up taking 4+ weeks instead of 2). My marriage certificate also shows M as a middle name instead of a surname.

To add insult to injury, I made the same mistake with my parents' names, though I assume that won't matter much.

Now, I understand that I need to request amendments to both the SS card and the marriage certificate, but the problem is we're filing the AOS this coming week, as my 90 day deadline is approaching, and we might not be able to get these amendments done in time. Will I run into problems if I file the I-485 with my correct name, despite these inconsistencies?

I've considered:

- owning the mistake for now and filing my AOS forms with my first surname as a middle name, and correct everything later; or

- file the paperwork now with my correct name and hope I don't get an RFE or worse due to differences between forms, SS card and marriage certificate; or

- get amendments done now and file the AOS packet after the 90 day deadline (after which I'll be out of status, which scares me).

I have done a lot of reading regarding this issue here on VJ, and have come across quite a few people with the same issue, but I haven't come to a solution I feel confident about. I'm extremely worried about this and would appreciate help or hearing about similar stories and how it went down for you. Thank you!

Edited by Gloom

It is pretty common among people with two surnames. Even if you input everything correctly on the forms they end up messing it up. 

My suggestions are: don't freak out, fill the AOS forms correctly and fix any issue AFTER you get your GC.

You can add the name/middle name/surname on the "other names" field if it makes you feel more comfortable.

I'm certain you won't get an RFE for this. 

SSA doesn't consider middle names part of your legal name so it doesn't matter what your SSN says.

Check out the SSA policy manual.

You can google "SSA legal name".

On 1/24/2022 at 10:21 PM, Gloom said:

Hello,

I was under the false impression, for a long time, that a middle name would be a name, or multiple names, coming between a given name and a surname. My name includes 1 given name and 2 surnames (A - given; M - first surname; D - last surname). Because M comes between my first and last names, I've filled it in in forms as a middle name. The result is a mix of documents and forms with my name listed both correctly and incorrectly.

My K1 paperwork all lists M as a middle name. My I-130 was filed correctly, and along with my passport, my visa therefore shows my name correctly (1 given, 2 surnames). However, my social security card shows only my first and last name, and I remember M was put down as a middle name during my appointment. Upon explaining that both M and D are surnames, the clerk seemed confused and still used M as a middle name, and told me that my SSN card would probably take longer to process due to the name inconsistencies (it did end up taking 4+ weeks instead of 2). My marriage certificate also shows M as a middle name instead of a surname.

To add insult to injury, I made the same mistake with my parents' names, though I assume that won't matter much.

Now, I understand that I need to request amendments to both the SS card and the marriage certificate, but the problem is we're filing the AOS this coming week, as my 90 day deadline is approaching, and we might not be able to get these amendments done in time. Will I run into problems if I file the I-485 with my correct name, despite these inconsistencies?

I've considered:

- owning the mistake for now and filing my AOS forms with my first surname as a middle name, and correct everything later; or

- file the paperwork now with my correct name and hope I don't get an RFE or worse due to differences between forms, SS card and marriage certificate; or

- get amendments done now and file the AOS packet after the 90 day deadline (after which I'll be out of status, which scares me).

I have done a lot of reading regarding this issue here on VJ, and have come across quite a few people with the same issue, but I haven't come to a solution I feel confident about. I'm extremely worried about this and would appreciate help or hearing about similar stories and how it went down for you. Thank you!

Here in the US, (or at least in the state of Washington), only a hyphenated surname is considered to be two surnames.  For instance, my kids have my maiden name - it is considered to be a second middle name because it was not hyphenated with their father's surname.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.