Keithn85

K1 visa from I-129F to Interview takeaways

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good day all!!

I wanted to give some pointers that I know are in the guides, but might be questioned when going through the process:
My fiancee had her interview in Kyiv early this morning and I thanked her for the information she provided me as I was going to pass it to here on VJ so that it would help couples.

One of the things she stressed was pictures.  For Kyiv, we visited all sorts of random landmarks (motherland statue, Catacombs of the I cannot think but the cathedral, the glass bridge with the KIEV letters.  recognizable stuff) and the embassy officer enjoyed seeing those pictures.   So her encouragement to everyone is, "take pictures outside.  If in Kyiv, take pictures at statues or landmarks that are specific to kyiv.  If in RIO, take a picture of something specific to Rio."  She mentioned Rio because a coworker of hers (colleague as she calls it) was there for a little bit.  

She also said she thinks what helped our case was:
-We met in a 3rd country, but I traveled to Ukraine to see her.  So it was not like we just met and I came to see the Mediterranean sea (because we met in person in Turkey September 2020 after talking on whatsapp/telegram since January 2020), I came to actually see her. (yeah I know i repeated myself.  I am tired since her interview was 2:30am central time and I wanted to stay up and make sure she was ok :)).

-She said financial documents were important (V2, VV2, wait no W2 :) it was cute to hear her say that so I had to post it, I-134, tax transcripts, i grabbed the transcripts from the IRS site.  Saved me 5 pages of transcripts instead of 165 pages of my return, my letter of employment from my employer, almost mentioned my employer haha, my bank account statements, note i didnt say the signed one from the bank but just statements online i printed)
-The proof of relationship and ongoing that she brought?  Nope not our chats, the man who printed documents for her forgot to print those.  Nope not my intent to marry, they never asked for it.  Photos and my paychecks.  yes I said my paychecks.  She said she was asked what she had proof of for our ongoing relationship and she handed them, my recent payslips.  :)  God bless her and her sweet Ukrainian heart.  

My recommendation though, front load your I-129F petiton with photos, intent to marry (as this is required), even a little background on how you met (we both wrote our 2 page accounts.  Or a page and a half at least.  Send that all to USCIS and let them sift through it.  We only sent maybe 10-15 photos of us.  Then, when it is interview time, backload everything again.  Updated photos, letters of intent, etc.  Just do it so it is there.  It might not even be looked at but do it.  And yes, everything that is recommended in the guide here for the interview or what people have recommended from their own lists, do it.  Then match it to the P3 you receive from your embassy (the list they provide) and take everything.

If your country provides original divorce decrees instead of certificates like hers did because she had a son involved with the divorce, prepare for a possible RFE during the I-129F petition approval process (before NOA-2 which is the approval letter of the I-129F), unless the translation puts in bold lettering the statement that this is the final paperwork.  We were rfe'd and I kindly wrote a 1/4 page explanation and even took screenshots and drew circles matching the original and translation.  

Best wishes to anyone who goes through the process :D  It sucks during it, but man it will be well worth the wait.  Unless of course your country is moving through spousal visas faster, then rock the spousal visa so your spouse can have the green card and not have to go through adjustment here :) 

11 hours ago, Keithn85 said:

Good day all!!

I wanted to give some pointers that I know are in the guides, but might be questioned when going through the process:
My fiancee had her interview in Kyiv early this morning and I thanked her for the information she provided me as I was going to pass it to here on VJ so that it would help couples.

One of the things she stressed was pictures.  For Kyiv, we visited all sorts of random landmarks (motherland statue, Catacombs of the I cannot think but the cathedral, the glass bridge with the KIEV letters.  recognizable stuff) and the embassy officer enjoyed seeing those pictures.   So her encouragement to everyone is, "take pictures outside.  If in Kyiv, take pictures at statues or landmarks that are specific to kyiv.  If in RIO, take a picture of something specific to Rio."  She mentioned Rio because a coworker of hers (colleague as she calls it) was there for a little bit.  

She also said she thinks what helped our case was:
-We met in a 3rd country, but I traveled to Ukraine to see her.  So it was not like we just met and I came to see the Mediterranean sea (because we met in person in Turkey September 2020 after talking on whatsapp/telegram since January 2020), I came to actually see her. (yeah I know i repeated myself.  I am tired since her interview was 2:30am central time and I wanted to stay up and make sure she was ok :)).

-She said financial documents were important (V2, VV2, wait no W2 :) it was cute to hear her say that so I had to post it, I-134, tax transcripts, i grabbed the transcripts from the IRS site.  Saved me 5 pages of transcripts instead of 165 pages of my return, my letter of employment from my employer, almost mentioned my employer haha, my bank account statements, note i didnt say the signed one from the bank but just statements online i printed)
-The proof of relationship and ongoing that she brought?  Nope not our chats, the man who printed documents for her forgot to print those.  Nope not my intent to marry, they never asked for it.  Photos and my paychecks.  yes I said my paychecks.  She said she was asked what she had proof of for our ongoing relationship and she handed them, my recent payslips.  :)  God bless her and her sweet Ukrainian heart.  

My recommendation though, front load your I-129F petiton with photos, intent to marry (as this is required), even a little background on how you met (we both wrote our 2 page accounts.  Or a page and a half at least.  Send that all to USCIS and let them sift through it.  We only sent maybe 10-15 photos of us.  Then, when it is interview time, backload everything again.  Updated photos, letters of intent, etc.  Just do it so it is there.  It might not even be looked at but do it.  And yes, everything that is recommended in the guide here for the interview or what people have recommended from their own lists, do it.  Then match it to the P3 you receive from your embassy (the list they provide) and take everything.

If your country provides original divorce decrees instead of certificates like hers did because she had a son involved with the divorce, prepare for a possible RFE during the I-129F petition approval process (before NOA-2 which is the approval letter of the I-129F), unless the translation puts in bold lettering the statement that this is the final paperwork.  We were rfe'd and I kindly wrote a 1/4 page explanation and even took screenshots and drew circles matching the original and translation.  

Best wishes to anyone who goes through the process :D  It sucks during it, but man it will be well worth the wait.  Unless of course your country is moving through spousal visas faster, then rock the spousal visa so your spouse can have the green card and not have to go through adjustment here :) 

Congratulations!!! And thanks for sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.