JPAZ

221g, absolutely gutted

22 posts in this topic

We attended my fiancées K1 visa interview today in Bogota. We transferred her case from Moscow given the current embassy situation. The interview went well, all of our documents were in order. However at the end of the interview the CO gave us a white slip saying we are in administrative processing and we are refused based on 221g and that they needed to make some extra checks. We had been waiting 20 months for this, and this just feels like another stab in our stomachs. My mental health has been absolutely obliterated by this process, and now to go back to a black hole  is just excruciating. Sorry just venting. I just want to be with who I love.

15 hours ago, JPAZ said:

We attended my fiancées K1 visa interview today in Bogota. We transferred her case from Moscow given the current embassy situation. The interview went well, all of our documents were in order. However at the end of the interview the CO gave us a white slip saying we are in administrative processing and we are refused based on 221g and that they needed to make some extra checks. We had been waiting 20 months for this, and this just feels like another stab in our stomachs. My mental health has been absolutely obliterated by this process, and now to go back to a black hole  is just excruciating. Sorry just venting. I just want to be with who I love.

See this info on travel.state.gov about Administrative Processing.  It's a delay, but not the end of the world. 

Administrative Processing Information (state.gov)

On 11/22/2021 at 9:41 PM, JPAZ said:

We also had our interview a few days and had the same situation. We just needed to get updated documents. Thank god it’s not a refusal, we just have to be patient. 
good luck and hopefully the wait won’t be too long

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The not-so-good news is that AP takes as long as it takes, which often isn't fast.

However, your situation (and this is a guess, because you have no VJ timeline -- please create one for best-informed help) might be related to interviewing in a non-native country.  If your fiancee is Russian, the Bogota COs lack immediate access to certain information.  It could be fairly routine and it's simply not at hand.

If it's any consolation, Mrs. T-B.-to-be was very rudely put on a 221g by the completely incompetent Guayaquil consulate, and I remain angry to this day (over a decade later!) at what that took out of me.  Whatever you're feeling is what you're feeling, and it's understood by others of us here.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

The not-so-good news is that AP takes as long as it takes, which often isn't fast.

However, your situation (and this is a guess, because you have no VJ timeline -- please create one for best-informed help) might be related to interviewing in a non-native country.  If your fiancee is Russian, the Bogota COs lack immediate access to certain information.  It could be fairly routine and it's simply not at hand.

If it's any consolation, Mrs. T-B.-to-be was very rudely put on a 221g by the completely incompetent Guayaquil consulate, and I remain angry to this day (over a decade later!) at what that took out of me.  Whatever you're feeling is what you're feeling, and it's understood by others of us here.

That’s my hope as well. The CO asked questions about the police certificates and the birth certificates but did not ask for additional information and just gave us a white 221g sheet saying we are in AP. She is from Russia and studied in China for 8 months so that always worried me. However they kept her passport and they know she is a 3rd country so hopefully it’s a good sign.

Timeline

Yes, keeping the passport is indeed a good sign.

And if you were present (or on premises) at the interview, that's a plus for you.

Keep us closely apprised.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

And if you were present (or on premises) at the interview, that's a plus for you.

Thanks so much. It’s just so discouraging to see people stuck in AP for years. Our case has been updated daily except Thanksgiving since our interview on Monday so I am hopeful they are working on it. 

On 11/26/2021 at 12:36 AM, TBoneTX said:

Hello, our case changed today from “refused” to “application received” and went from immigrant to nonimmigrant status. Do you know what this could mean? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
54 minutes ago, JPAZ said:

We had our interview on November 22. It shows immigrant visa refused with creation date of when we transferred our case until today when it changed to non immigrant application received with a creation date of today.

Obvious disclaimer, no one knows what will happen but the consulate and it could always go sideways up until she is past the POE and lawfully admitted to the US.

HOWEVER, from everything I've been able to gather, rapid fire updates of the case status followed by a change to NIV status and a new "case creation" date seems to indicate crossing of T's and dotting of I's prior to visa issue. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, ryvfader said:

Obvious disclaimer, no one knows what will happen but the consulate and it could always go sideways up until she is past the POE and lawfully admitted to the US.

HOWEVER, from everything I've been able to gather, rapid fire updates of the case status followed by a change to NIV status and a new "case creation" date seems to indicate crossing of T's and dotting of I's prior to visa issue. 

I was going to say something similar, but the above was posted earlier and stated better.  Fingers crossed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.