isamanda

changing name in US / green card holder

7 posts in this topic

hi there,

i would like to take my husbands name. we got married in Denmark and I am a Swedish citizen. 

I would like to change the name and I dont know how to do it in US. 

Do I need to file some form in the court or marriage certificate will be enough to present to USCIS and Social Security? 

i am quite hopeless because there is no information about that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Have you applied for any US identification yet-drivings license etc? When I moved to America and got married, I applied for everything, license, bank accounts, SSN and the likes in my married name and just produced our marriage certificate. I had absolutely no problem with it at all 

49 minutes ago, Loo1 said:

Have you applied for any US identification yet-drivings license etc? When I moved to America and got married, I applied for everything, license, bank accounts, SSN and the likes in my married name and just produced our marriage certificate. I had absolutely no problem with it at all 

Did you move on K1 and got married in the us? 

I am wondering what about my greencard and passport. I have a I 551 stamp in my passport and still waiting for the greencard with maiden name. i contacted uscis they said you need to change your name legally in the court but in the state i am living they do not change it because your marriage certificate is the proof that you can change your name legally. its just super frustrating! 

i havent applied for my driving license and need to contact bank and social security and we will see. 

but how did you change the passport?

14 minutes ago, isamanda said:

I am wondering what about my greencard and passport. I have a I 551 stamp in my passport and still waiting for the greencard with maiden name. i contacted uscis they said you need to change your name legally in the court but in the state i am living they do not change it because your marriage certificate is the proof that you can change your name legally. its just super frustrating! 

i havent applied for my driving license and need to contact bank and social security and we will see. 

You'll have to change your passport in your home country following their procedures with proof of name change. 

If your home country doesn't recognise name changes due to marriage you can change the name on your green card after it is issued with the I-190 and pay the fee with proof of name change. 

If you do not want to pay the fee to change your name wait until you naturalize... you can change your name on the N-400 form.

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
3 hours ago, isamanda said:

Yes, I came on a K1. I wonder if you get US identification would USCIS accept that as a change? The court house might be able to give you some good advise? 

The bank accepted our marriage certificate as a change to my name even though all I had was my passport and Irish drivers license in my maiden name, they were really helpful and made that easy. 

For my passport, I applied online, I had to send my passport and marriage certificate to the passport office in Ireland and they changed it no problem. The only issue I had was it took a while for me to get my passport back, which of course was due to covid

2 hours ago, Loo1 said:

Yes, I came on a K1. I wonder if you get US identification would USCIS accept that as a change? The court house might be able to give you some good advise? 

The bank accepted our marriage certificate as a change to my name even though all I had was my passport and Irish drivers license in my maiden name, they were really helpful and made that easy. 

For my passport, I applied online, I had to send my passport and marriage certificate to the passport office in Ireland and they changed it no problem. The only issue I had was it took a while for me to get my passport back, which of course was due to covid

thats the thing i dont know if USCIS will accept it. i will try with my marriage certificate!

thank you for help !! ❤️

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Inside the US the marriage certificate is all you need. That's a perfectly fine proof of legal name change.

As for your home country you can contact the embassy of your country in the US or the office you would go to in your home country to find out what needs to be done. Germany for example is more difficult than Ireland. I'll have to send in a bunch of documents to get my name change recognized 🙄 dreading on that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.