Mchole

DS-3025 and new Covid Vaccine Requirements

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Hi everyone, I apologize as I'm sure this is being asked a lot but I have a quick question in regards to the new guidelines.

My wife came to the US under K-1 in November of 2020 and did her overseas medical in October 2020. We applied for the AOS in February of 2021 and included the DS-3025 with the application. She did not receive her flu vaccine during the medical even though it was during flu season because there weren't any flu vaccines so we were told that we wouldn't need one for the interview. The DS-3025 was marked complete.

We never received an RFE so far and are currently in the case is ready to be scheduled for interview stage. I am reading mixed information however on the vaccine and medical requirements. On the official uscis website and i-693 instructions it says if AOS is filed within 1 year of medical overseas, it is not required to have a new medical. However I am also reading elsewhere that if you didn’t file AOS package within 60 days of medical, it expires in 1 year.

What is correct? Do we need a new medical? Would we need a flue vaccine or do a completely new medical just for a flu vaccine if needed? 

3 hours ago, Mchole said:

Hi everyone, I apologize as I'm sure this is being asked a lot but I have a quick question in regards to the new guidelines.

My wife came to the US under K-1 in November of 2020 and did her overseas medical in October 2020. We applied for the AOS in February of 2021 and included the DS-3025 with the application. She did not receive her flu vaccine during the medical even though it was during flu season because there weren't any flu vaccines so we were told that we wouldn't need one for the interview. The DS-3025 was marked complete.

We never received an RFE so far and are currently in the case is ready to be scheduled for interview stage. I am reading mixed information however on the vaccine and medical requirements. On the official uscis website and i-693 instructions it says if AOS is filed within 1 year of medical overseas, it is not required to have a new medical. However I am also reading elsewhere that if you didn’t file AOS package within 60 days of medical, it expires in 1 year.

What is correct? Do we need a new medical? Would we need a flue vaccine or do a completely new medical just for a flu vaccine if needed? 

As long as you did file the I-485 within one year from the medical, you should be fine.  The medical was approved and sign off by the physician as per the requirements at the time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
8 hours ago, Mchole said:

It is only 'mixed information' because you are mixing up different requirements for different types of medicals.

Those adjusting from a K-1 have their own requirements/policies regarding the medical. They receive a medical for the visa interview and receive a DS-3025 from a panel physician outside the US.

Many other categories for AOS have not yet received an immigration medical exam. They are required to see a civil surgeon in the US for an I-693, and they must meet all the requirements/policies of getting the medical/vaccinations for the I-693. The I-693 is only valid for so long, which is why some people that are not adjusting from a K-1 and need the medical from a civil surgeon wait to get it done and take the I-693 to the interview rather than sending it with the I-485 paperwork.

You are not supposed to need anything else if your DS-3025 was marked complete and you filed for AOS within a year of the K-1 medical. That being said, sometimes people are given an RFE for vaccinations and/or a new medical. However, you shouldn't go get a new exam unless you are specifically asked to do so.

I am curious as to how they will be handling the new covid vaccination requirement. I think they will not demand it of those that had medicals before this month, but with the USCIS you never know.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 10/5/2021 at 3:39 AM, KayDeeCee said:

I am curious as to how they will be handling the new covid vaccination requirement. I think they will not demand it of those that had medicals before this month, but with the USCIS you never know.

I'm wondering about this, too. I'm not vaccinated and I'm not sure yet if I'll get it or not due to worries about potential side effects (it might very well just be me being paranoid, but that's where I'm at right now). If I need to get the vaccine in order to get the green card I plan on doing so, but so far I haven't heard anything that this will be demanded since I already had my medical done and have the DS-3025...

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 10/5/2021 at 4:39 AM, KayDeeCee said:

Same here. In fact, my (now) wife is in the same situation. Entered on a K1 in late August. Got married on October 7. Now waiting on the marriage certificate to be approved.

Then suddenly, I see a bunch of news about USCIS requiring applicants for AOS to be vaccinated against COVID.

Not an issue for us, as we are both recently fully-vaccinated. But at the same time, I just saw the news, but didn't see any details. IDK - do I just not submit the I-693? Or get to a Civil Surgeon?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.