TarKenkari

N400 Online portal - WATCH OUT for filing dates

30 posts in this topic

I'm married to a USC and started the process to get naturalized.

I submitted my N400 online via USCIS, the portal told me I met the residency duration requirements (3 years), you can apply 3 months prior to the 3 year mark (they call it a grace period). The portal verifies this and blocks you from submitting if you don't meet this time requirement.

I attended my interview today and it went great, got all the civics questions right, breezed through all the questions. But hit a snag at the end of the interview. My filing date was too early by THREE days.

Turns out that its not 3 months, its 90 days, so for months with 31 days you have to wait a few days longer before you file. The USCIS website checks for MONTHS not DAYS, so it let me submit the N400 before I should have been able to.

I am over the 3 year mark now (it was back in June) but because my filing date was too early, my N400 was invalid. I was given the choice of withdraw my application or have it declined. Filing fee wasted, start again.

Not a good day. Now I need to wait for the withdrawal to be processed and then I can apply again. (and wait another 8 months)

USCIS

01/18/2017: I-130 mailed

02/13/2017: NOA1

10/30/2017: NOA2

NVC

11/22/2017: NVC welcome letter received (by email, paper copy arrived weeks later)

12/07/2017: Filled in DS-260 online

12/08/2017: Posted NVC package (AOS, IV & Civil Documents)

12/18/2017: NVC Scan date

02/01/2018: NVC Case Complete

03/02/2018: Receive Interview Appointment letter

03/20/2018: Medical appointment

04/17/2018: Interview, result: APPROVED!!!

04/24/2018: Visa Issued and shipped from Consulate

04/26/2018: Visa received!

06/21/2018: Landed in Houston! Passport stamped :)

07/14/2018: Greencard arrived in the mail

22 minutes ago, Barbara99 said:

Why did you not use USCIS calculator to see exactly when your window opens ?

I used the USCIS calculator in the N400 online application and it did not raise any errors about the date.

The online application checks your dates and tells you if your window has not been reached yet. If you’re not in the window then you are blocked from submitting your N400.

The defect on the N400 application is it checked against 3 months not 90 days.

USCIS

NVC

11/22/2017: NVC welcome letter received (by email, paper copy arrived weeks later)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
22 hours ago, TarKenkari said:

I'm married to a USC and started the process to get naturalized.

I submitted my N400 online via USCIS, the portal told me I met the residency duration requirements (3 years), you can apply 3 months prior to the 3 year mark (they call it a grace period). The portal verifies this and blocks you from submitting if you don't meet this time requirement.

I attended my interview today and it went great, got all the civics questions right, breezed through all the questions. But hit a snag at the end of the interview. My filing date was too early by THREE days.

Turns out that its not 3 months, its 90 days, so for months with 31 days you have to wait a few days longer before you file. The USCIS website checks for MONTHS not DAYS, so it let me submit the N400 before I should have been able to.

I am over the 3 year mark now (it was back in June) but because my filing date was too early, my N400 was invalid. I was given the choice of withdraw my application or have it declined. Filing fee wasted, start again.

Not a good day. Now I need to wait for the withdrawal to be processed and then I can apply again. (and wait another 8 months)

I am sorry to hear that. I know how much tiring this process can be. But hang in there. 

I've also just submitted N-400 online based on 5 year rule with GC approved on 12/9/2016. The calculator told me I could submit on 9/10/21, I submitted on 9/11 at 11am EST. The receipt is dated 9/11, but strangely in the portal itself it says the petition was submitted 9/10. Nowhere in the US it was 9/10 when it is 11am EST of 9/11. 

What I found curious in OP's datapoint, is that they were 3 days early. How can it be 3, off there are no 3 months of 31 days in a row.

Also I've checked and now their calculation takes number of days in a month into account, probably they corrected the bug OP mentioned. I wonder how many people were hit with the same bug - I would think a  very non negligible fraction submit the first  day they are eligible.

7 hours ago, Philaguy said:

I've also just submitted N-400 online based on 5 year rule with GC approved on 12/9/2016. The calculator told me I could submit on 9/10/21, I submitted on 9/11 at 11am EST. The receipt is dated 9/11, but strangely in the portal itself it says the petition was submitted 9/10. Nowhere in the US it was 9/10 when it is 11am EST of 9/11. 

What I found curious in OP's datapoint, is that they were 3 days early. How can it be 3, off there are no 3 months of 31 days in a row.

Also I've checked and now their calculation takes number of days in a month into account, probably they corrected the bug OP mentioned. I wonder how many people were hit with the same bug - I would think a  very non negligible fraction submit the first  day they are eligible.

Yeah, 9/13 according to the early filing was my date and the online registration stopped me from being able to submit until 9/13 too. Must have been fixed, and so unfair to those who got denied off that.

11 minutes ago, Happymallymute said:

Yeah, 9/13 according to the early filing was my date and the online registration stopped me from being able to submit until 9/13 too. Must have been fixed, and so unfair to those who got denied off that.

Ah! And to note: my online portal says submitted 9/12 even though I submitted close to 6 pm EST on 9/13. The receipt date and notice date all say 9/13 though.

So dates for me:

Date Residency started: 6/21/2018

Date N400 filed online: 3/22/2021

The online N400 filing blocked submission prior to 3/22 saying that I did not meet the requirements. On 3/22 is said I met and allowed me to file.

Sounds like it may have been fixed since I filed but still sucks to be delayed again.

USCIS

NVC

1 hour ago, TarKenkari said:

So dates for me:

Date Residency started: 6/21/2018

Date N400 filed online: 3/22/2021

The online N400 filing blocked submission prior to 3/22 saying that I did not meet the requirements. On 3/22 is said I met and allowed me to file.

Sounds like it may have been fixed since I filed but still sucks to be delayed again.

Based on this information you filled 1 day earlier and not 3

Timeline
12 hours ago, Philaguy said:

It happened to me too. According to the USCIS early filing webpage, the earliest I could submit my petition was 9/13. I ended up filing well after midnight on 9/14. My submission date is still 9/13 however, but all receipts and priority date are dated 9/14. There's discrepancy with time zones on USCIS website which potentially could get people in trouble.

Edited by jane.doe

12 minutes ago, jane.doe said:

It happened to me too. According to the USCIS early filing webpage, the earliest I could submit my petition was 9/13. I ended up filing well after midnight on 9/14. My submission date is still 9/13 however, but all receipts and priority date are dated 9/14. There's discrepancy with time zones on USCIS website which potentially could get people in trouble.

Did they turn you back?

18 minutes ago, jane.doe said:

I think you are good, as long as you have a printed letter saying 9/14

i remember many reported the portal bug showing 1 day earlier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.