milkywaynick

U.S. Embassy London CRBA and Passport Experience and Walkthrough

27 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Modestmama said:

Thank you so much. I’m trying to get an Appointment and it’s impossible!! How did you find an appointment? 

I am in a forum on Facebook called "American Ex-Pats UK". They have resources and you can search the group for their WhatsApp group called "US Embassy Alerts" which help notify you when appointments become available. There is a window when appointments are released (usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays). I managed to book two appointments back to back following cancellations. To be honest, I was on the US website and clicking refresh and they came up. You have to keep trying that way. There is a lot of support and more tips available there. You will find an appointment, trust me. I was incredibly worried but kept at it and they came. 

4 hours ago, milkywaynick said:

I am in a forum on Facebook called "American Ex-Pats UK". They have resources and you can search the group for their WhatsApp group called "US Embassy Alerts" which help notify you when appointments become available. There is a window when appointments are released (usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays). I managed to book two appointments back to back following cancellations. To be honest, I was on the US website and clicking refresh and they came up. You have to keep trying that way. There is a lot of support and more tips available there. You will find an appointment, trust me. I was incredibly worried but kept at it and they came. 

Thank you so much! I have to apply for two kids, do I need two appointments? 

6 minutes ago, Modestmama said:

Thank you so much! I have to apply for two kids, do I need two appointments? 

You're most welcomed. I'm happy to help. I'm unsure if you can get both children under one appointment due to when you arrange the appointment it is usually per child. If you can manage to get both children on the day then that would be ideal. In my case, I found two appointments on separate days. If you can manage to get the opening times and have someone help you may be able to do but my experience was one appointment then went home, found another appointment and then went back. I travelled to London twice to do it. Takes some work but it is all worth it. It may be worth going onto the group on Facebook as many have their separate experiences and might be able to help in other ways. :)

28 minutes ago, Modestmama said:

. I’m a bit worried because my kids (under 5) have travelled to the USA with me in the past with their UK passports. 

They might tell you you weren’t supposed to do that, they might even sound annoyed about it, but there’s not really anything they can do - if your kids are citizens then they’re citizens, they can’t refuse a CRBA just because you had them travel on another passport.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, milkywaynick said:

You're most welcomed. I'm happy to help. I'm unsure if you can get both children under one appointment due to when you arrange the appointment it is usually per child. If you can manage to get both children on the day then that would be ideal. In my case, I found two appointments on separate days. If you can manage to get the opening times and have someone help you may be able to do but my experience was one appointment then went home, found another appointment and then went back. I travelled to London twice to do it. Takes some work but it is all worth it. It may be worth going onto the group on Facebook as many have their separate experiences and might be able to help in other ways. :)

Just want to say thank you again for writing your post. I finally found an appointment because of that group and I pray everything goes smoothly. I’ll follow your steps 

20 hours ago, Modestmama said:

Just want to say thank you again for writing your post. I finally found an appointment because of that group and I pray everything goes smoothly. I’ll follow your steps 

Congratulations!! I'm excited for you and your family. Any questions let me know! 

On 10/11/2021 at 9:41 PM, Modestmama said:

Thank you. I finally found the WhatsApp group. I’m a bit worried because my kids (under 5) have travelled to the USA with me in the past with their UK passports. 

That should be okay. 

On 10/14/2021 at 6:46 AM, milkywaynick said:

That should be okay. 

Okay I'm stressing out. For the CRBA, I've read another experience and the officers asked questions or information that isn't included in the checklist or forms. So I need some clarification.
Do we need to include our time OUTSIDE of the USA on the CRBA application?
My supporting documents are 3 old USA passports, 2 bank statements (2 different banks), college transcript, high school diploma copy, previous teaching license, tax return from one year (only worked one year before moving), one dentist medical bill. Is this sufficient? Do they have to be notarized?
They need 3 copies of the same birth certificate? Long form, right?

24 minutes ago, Modestmama said:
Okay I'm stressing out. For the CRBA, I've read another experience and the officers asked questions or information that isn't included in the checklist or forms. So I need some clarification.
Do we need to include our time OUTSIDE of the USA on the CRBA application?
My supporting documents are 3 old USA passports, 2 bank statements (2 different banks), college transcript, high school diploma copy, previous teaching license, tax return from one year (only worked one year before moving), one dentist medical bill. Is this sufficient? Do they have to be notarized?
They need 3 copies of the same birth certificate? Long form, right?

1. You need to include the time you have lived in the USA. You are basically demonstrating that you have been in America for over 5 years in a row before the age of 14. This is provable by elementary, middle school and high school transcripts. Also, immunization records can evidence this. You do not have to prove the time you have spent out of America, just the time you have been in America because you are transmitting your citizenship. For example, if a person was born in the US and moved at birth to a foreign country and had a child overseas then they would struggle to prove their physical presence in the US. I am not certain how strong a high school diploma is as it is a certificate and doesn't really evidence time spent. However, school records and immunization records do. I did not include time outside, only inside. You can bring your former passports if you like, I brought mine but didn't need to show it. Bring all the evidence you feel you need, better to have everything. 

2. None of my documents were notarized but I did get my transcripts and records directly from the state of Texas and my hometown health department. 

3. Bring original birth certificate and photocopy 2 more and you will have 3 copies. They'll ask you for the original and just give them all three. 

Any more questions just let me know. 

On 10/18/2021 at 5:29 AM, milkywaynick said:

You are basically demonstrating that you have been in America for over 5 years in a row before the age of 14.

Not quite.  The requirement is the USC parent's physical presence in the US for 5 years prior to the child’s birth, at least 2 of which were after the age of 14.  Those 5 years do not have to be consecutive and all 5 years can be after age 14, as long as all were before the child's birth.  So college transcripts and US employment records are acceptable evidence. @Modestmama

Note that this is the general requirement for US physical presence, but there are actually different requirements depending on the circumstances of the child's birth -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html

On 10/18/2021 at 11:34 PM, Chancy said:

Not quite.  The requirement is the USC parent's physical presence in the US for 5 years prior to the child’s birth, at least 2 of which were after the age of 14.  Those 5 years do not have to be consecutive and all 5 years can be after age 14, as long as all were before the child's birth.  So college transcripts and US employment records are acceptable evidence. @Modestmama

Note that this is the general requirement for US physical presence, but there are actually different requirements depending on the circumstances of the child's birth -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html

Thank you! 

On 10/18/2021 at 11:34 PM, Chancy said:

Thank you for clarifying and you are absolutely correct. I find that this part of the process can be one of the most challenging to understand and explain. 

Edited by milkywaynick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.