milkywaynick

U.S. Embassy London CRBA and Passport Experience and Walkthrough

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MinnesotaMum said:

This is so helpful! On the "time spent in US" did you include time you were away on holiday? I am worried as I travel internationally a LOT and that will be quite tedious to include!  

You're very welcome. No, I did not. I only evidenced the time I spent in America at different stages in my life, mainly around pre-school to around high-school/ juco. I also had my immunization records, school records, college transcript. I have travelled since the end of 2008 and didn't use any reference from 2008 and onwards. Although, I kept my old passport on hand in case it was needed. I hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, milkywaynick said:

You're very welcome. No, I did not. I only evidenced the time I spent in America at different stages in my life, mainly around pre-school to around high-school/ juco. I also had my immunization records, school records, college transcript. I have travelled since the end of 2008 and didn't use any reference from 2008 and onwards. Although, I kept my old passport on hand in case it was needed. I hope this helps.

okay thanks. It says list ALL time in the US which seems excessive to list out dates, etc. thats helpful! How long here you at the embassy start to finish?

51 minutes ago, MinnesotaMum said:

okay thanks. It says list ALL time in the US which seems excessive to list out dates, etc. thats helpful! How long here you at the embassy start to finish?

I agree. It was the most tedious exercise to me. I didn't even remember the dates that I put in and that's why I used the records because they can't dispute evidence; it stands on its own. 

I must've been there for about an hour to an hour and a halfish max. There were a lot of people but you're moving constantly from window to window so it can feel a little boring but it's all of the bright side. Bring a book perhaps or a good portable charger. Just watch out for when your number is called.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Mar11 said:

I appreciate this is an older thread - but does anyone know how to find this us embassy alerts what's app group?

Repost: 

I am in a forum on Facebook called "American Ex-Pats UK". They have resources and you can search the group for their WhatsApp group called "US Embassy Alerts" which help notify you when appointments become available. There is a window when appointments are released (usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays). I managed to book two appointments back to back following cancellations. To be honest, I was on the US website and clicking refresh and they came up. You have to keep trying that way. There is a lot of support and more tips available there. You will find an appointment, trust me. I was incredibly worried but kept at it and they came.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, milkywaynick said:

Repost: 

I am in a forum on Facebook called "American Ex-Pats UK". They have resources and you can search the group for their WhatsApp group called "US Embassy Alerts" which help notify you when appointments become available. There is a window when appointments are released (usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays). I managed to book two appointments back to back following cancellations. To be honest, I was on the US website and clicking refresh and they came up. You have to keep trying that way. There is a lot of support and more tips available there. You will find an appointment, trust me. I was incredibly worried but kept at it and they came.

Thanks,

I think I may have joined a wrong FB group.

I found the right group now, so will try that!

Thanks for your help :)

28 minutes ago, Mar11 said:

Thanks,

I think I may have joined a wrong FB group.

I found the right group now, so will try that!

Thanks for your help :)

You're absolutely welcome. Let me know if you need further help. 

Screenshot_20220522-140940_Facebook.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi -- 

My wife and I attended a successful CRBA appointment at the US Embassy in London yesterday. At the end of the appointment, all the original evidence provided was handed back (birth certificate, evidence of physical presence in the US, etc.) with the exception of my British passport and my wife's US passport. 

We phoned this morning, and were told these should be posted back with our son's new US passport. However, we are concerned they made a mistake in not giving our own passports back to us yesterday. 

Perhaps you may let me know if at your appointment, they gave back to you and your partner, your passports. Or, did these also arrive in the post later with your child's new passport. 

Many thanks, 

James 

3 hours ago, jamesonice said:

Hi -- 

My wife and I attended a successful CRBA appointment at the US Embassy in London yesterday. At the end of the appointment, all the original evidence provided was handed back (birth certificate, evidence of physical presence in the US, etc.) with the exception of my British passport and my wife's US passport. 

We phoned this morning, and were told these should be posted back with our son's new US passport. However, we are concerned they made a mistake in not giving our own passports back to us yesterday. 

Perhaps you may let me know if at your appointment, they gave back to you and your partner, your passports. Or, did these also arrive in the post later with your child's new passport. 

Many thanks, 

James 

Hi James!

Great question and I was somewhat puzzled by this as well. I can confirm that DXC delivered my passport alongside my children's passports. The Social Security cards arrived a couple of weeks later. The turn around was maybe 2 - 3 weeks at most. You should be okay. If you need further reassurance then email the U.S. Embassy to get what was confirmed in writing for an audit trail if you deem it useful. I hope this helps and congratulations.

Best wishes,

Nick

On 8/5/2022 at 2:17 PM, milkywaynick said:

Hi James!

Great question and I was somewhat puzzled by this as well. I can confirm that DXC delivered my passport alongside my children's passports. The Social Security cards arrived a couple of weeks later. The turn around was maybe 2 - 3 weeks at most. You should be okay. If you need further reassurance then email the U.S. Embassy to get what was confirmed in writing for an audit trail if you deem it useful. I hope this helps and congratulations.

Best wishes,

Nick

Hi Nick, 

Thank you for your reply and reassurance. It is good to hear that your passport arrived with your children's passports via DXC. When we realised we didn't have our own passports after leaving the embassy, we were quite concerned as they did not say to us that they were keeping them. 

Also, thank you for writing such a detailed account of the entire CRBA process. We found this to be very useful, and even printed out your instructions to take with us to London. 

Kind regards, 

James 

23 minutes ago, jamesonice said:

Hi Nick, 

Thank you for your reply and reassurance. It is good to hear that your passport arrived with your children's passports via DXC. When we realised we didn't have our own passports after leaving the embassy, we were quite concerned as they did not say to us that they were keeping them. 

Also, thank you for writing such a detailed account of the entire CRBA process. We found this to be very useful, and even printed out your instructions to take with us to London. 

Kind regards, 

James 

Hi James,

You are extremely welcomed. I am very excited for us US Expats abroad and I really wish for all of our respective successes in the most helpful and efficient way.

I am glad you found the guide useful. This was the first time I have written a guide and I felt that given the technical nature of the process that I could support by providing my experience. I went to the embassy on two occasions because I had to do two separate passports for both of my children.

Please allow up to 4 - 6 weeks for the return of your documents as times can vary and I don't want to l create any anxiety with specific time frames. But, rest assured, that you will be fine. Lastly, I hope there wasn't too much variance in the guide! Well done.

Kind regards,

Nick

Edited by milkywaynick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.