ToluD

Two different Last Names?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone - 

So I got married in March 2020 and as such changed my last name in my home country - my last name was changed on my drivers license but I haven't changed it on my Canadian passport. 

In starting my GC process, I filed it using my maiden name - I am now going for my Biometrics appointment this month; My Canadian Passport has my Maiden last name and so does my application with USCIS for AOS

My questions are: 1) I'd like to change my last name on my AOS application to my marriage last name  , can this be done at my Bio appointment? 

2) Since my last name on my Canadian Passport is still my maiden name , how will this affect my travels at the Point of Entry; Different name on passport vs GC

Thanks in advance 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not sure if you have the ability to change the family name at the biometrics appointment, you might be able to do it at an interview.

As to the GC and Canadian passport name not matching, that is no big deal.  My wife travels that way all the time (first with a GC and now with a US Passport) and she has never had an issue.  She always takes a copy of our marriage certificate with her.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

Not sure if you have the ability to change the family name at the biometrics appointment, you might be able to do it at an interview.

As to the GC and Canadian passport name not matching, that is no big deal.  My wife travels that way all the time (first with a GC and now with a US Passport) and she has never had an issue.  She always takes a copy of our marriage certificate with her.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot ! I'll ask at the interview 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, ToluD said:

Hi Everyone - 

So I got married in March 2020 and as such changed my last name in my home country - my last name was changed on my drivers license but I haven't changed it on my Canadian passport. 

In starting my GC process, I filed it using my maiden name - I am now going for my Biometrics appointment this month; My Canadian Passport has my Maiden last name and so does my application with USCIS for AOS

My questions are: 1) I'd like to change my last name on my AOS application to my marriage last name  , can this be done at my Bio appointment? 

2) Since my last name on my Canadian Passport is still my maiden name , how will this affect my travels at the Point of Entry; Different name on passport vs GC

Thanks in advance 

You missed the opportunity of filing for AOS with the new last name. If the IO at the interview changes it for you, you should receive your green card with the new name. If not, you will have to file for an I-90 and pay the fee to get a replacement card with the new name.

The issue that I see is that if you applied for a SSN on the 765 form, your SSN will come with the maiden name and you will only be able to change it after getting another immigration document with the new last name. That means that if you need to get a driver's license here, it will need to match your SSN. Your will have to file taxes with your maiden name.

Understand that when you fill out the application you're asked for your current legal name, so if you write down your maiden name, to USCIS it means you never wanted to change your last name.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

You missed the opportunity of filing for AOS with the new last name. If the IO at the interview changes it for you, you should receive your green card with the new name. If not, you will have to file for an I-90 and pay the fee to get a replacement card with the new name.

The issue that I see is that if you applied for a SSN on the 765 form, your SSN will come with the maiden name and you will only be able to change it after getting another immigration document with the new last name. That means that if you need to get a driver's license here, it will need to match your SSN. Your will have to file taxes with your maiden name.

Understand that when you fill out the application you're asked for your current legal name, so if you write down your maiden name, to USCIS it means you never wanted to change your last name.

Thanks for how detailed your response is. 

I am yet to apply for my SSN so I’ll ask the interviewer to change it and then move forward with my new last name on the SSN doc. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.