Nessie Joy

US Passport Validity

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good day! I am new to this so I apologize if this question is repetitive but I tried to research it and couldn’t find an clear answer. I am collecting the requirements to file for a K-1 visa for my fiancé from England and one of the requirements for me is to provide a valid passport to show my US citizenship. Does it have to be valid within certain amount of time? My passport expires next year of April (2022). Am I good to go with this valid timeframe? Also, does anyone here have any good checklist/templates sample for their K-1 visa requirements that they can share? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Nessie Joy said:

Good day! I am new to this so I apologize if this question is repetitive but I tried to research it and couldn’t find an clear answer. I am collecting the requirements to file for a K-1 visa for my fiancé from England and one of the requirements for me is to provide a valid passport to show my US citizenship. Does it have to be valid within certain amount of time? My passport expires next year of April (2022). Am I good to go with this valid timeframe? Also, does anyone here have any good checklist/templates sample for their K-1 visa requirements that they can share? 

Your passport is fine. I would worry if it was going to expire before they received it but over a year is no problem. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Skyman said:

Your passport is fine. I would worry if it was going to expire before they received it but over a year is no problem. 

Thank you Skyman! I appreciate the response :) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Nessie Joy said:

Your passport has an initial validity of 10 years.  And as long as your passport has not expired, its good to use.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Also note that the passport is one of several options as evidence of US Citizenship.  A US Birth Certificate, CRBA, or Naturalization Certificate are also ok.  You only need one of the options.  As you move forward, pay attention to little words like "or".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Nessie Joy said:

Also, does anyone here have any good checklist/templates sample for their K-1 visa requirements that they can share? 

Have you looked at the Guides section of this website? In the menu, find Guides >Visas >K1 fiancé.

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 8/1/2021 at 12:34 PM, Skyman said:

Thank you! 

Timeline
On 8/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, Wuozopo said:

Have you looked at the Guides section of this website? In the menu, find Guides >Visas >K1 fiancé.

I’m about to check it out! Thank you very much :) 

Timeline
On 8/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, pushbrk said:

Also note that the passport is one of several options as evidence of US Citizenship.  A US Birth Certificate, CRBA, or Naturalization Certificate are also ok.  You only need one of the options.  As you move forward, pay attention to little words like "or".

I understand. I came in the US as a minor and received automatic citizenship under INA 320 because my parents are already US citizen and the only proof I have of my citizenship is through a U.S. passport. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.