UKUSA

It never ends...i-9 after citizenship

5 posts in this topic

I am a new citizen, new i-9 requirements state certificate of naturalization is no longer valid evidence of employment authorization.

My certificate of naturalization is with the passport office anyway who are saying 18 weeks (from June) until I get my passport. 

I had a green card stamp which was due to expire in Aug 22 2021. Per i-9 regulations, employers are supposed to re check these.

My social security card says "valid with dhs work authorization only" so I cant use social and drivers license. 

I have a new job offer and my old work is asking for proof of employment. Question: is there a way around this? I feel like I'm screwed. 

1 hour ago, UKUSA said:

I am a new citizen, new i-9 requirements state certificate of naturalization is no longer valid evidence of employment authorization.

My certificate of naturalization is with the passport office anyway who are saying 18 weeks (from June) until I get my passport. 

I had a green card stamp which was due to expire in Aug 22 2021. Per i-9 regulations, employers are supposed to re check these.

My social security card says "valid with dhs work authorization only" so I cant use social and drivers license. 

I have a new job offer and my old work is asking for proof of employment. Question: is there a way around this? I feel like I'm screwed. 

Why don’t you make an appointment with SSA and have the notation on your social security card removed? Then you can use the SS card and DL for the I-9 information for your new job.

My husband had that notation removed from his SS card as soon as he received his green card. It took about 2 weeks for him to receive his new SS card. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
34 minutes ago, UKUSA said:

I have been trying but since Covid the SSN office has been closed 

Offices are not closed. They were doing stuff by mail until a couple months ago, but now with the new SSA emergency message, they must give an appointment to immigrants because we can't mail our stuff. Update citizenship is considered a valid reason for an appointment. When you call, ask for an appointment and mention their own regulation.

If the the first person that answers the call says otherwise, ask for a supervisor until you're able to get an appointment.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/05262021015248PM

Edited by Ayrton

14 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Offices are not closed. They were doing stuff by mail until a couple months ago, but now with the new SSA emergency message, they must give an appointment to immigrants because we can't mail our stuff. Update citizenship is considered a valid reason for an appointment. When you call, ask for an appointment and mention their own regulation.

If the the first person that answers the call says otherwise, ask for a supervisor until you're able to get an appointment.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/05262021015248PM

Yes, my husband had to call and the appointment was scheduled like within a week. He had all the necessary documents and filled out the forms( the SSA rep told us all that was needed) and the appointment took 10-15 mins. And within 2 weeks new SS card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.