11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

i got to Philadelphia february 14, we have not married yet, we will get married this saturday, I went to get the SSN but they did not give it to me bcz they said i did not need SSN if i was not allowed to work, oh and he told us that if i wanted to work we had to make an appointment with inmigration, then last week we try to go to another SSN place and the girl did not ask any questions then she came back with a letter, and she said they were going to give me the SSN in 1 month or so bcz they were going to send my petition of SSN to inmigration to see if the info with inmigration matches. any of u have had the same problem? what should we do? just wait? i want to open a bank account, get my drive lincense, and im not really looking for job right now.

9-29-2005 - Sent off K1 Petition application. my brithday!!

10-03-2005 - Vermont received package

case number in the back of the check (bank online)

never Received NOA1 in mail

10-20-2005 - approved- SO SO HAPPY!!!

10-26-2005 - got NOA2 in mail saying the case was sent to NVC

11-01-2005 - got a letter from NVC saying the case was sent to Bogota embassy in oct 28th

11-04-2005 - got package 3 on Bogota and faxed DS-230 and OF-169, i will send them to the embassy too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as you wait at least 2 weeks after entering the U.S. to go to the SSA office, you should have no problems getting a SSN card as a K-1 Visa holder.

A lot of the employees at the SSA office are not aware that K-1's are allowed to get a SSN without having work authorization. Go back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline

we went twice, i came here in february 14th, we went to an office february 27 and they sent us to inmigration, we did not go to inmigration, and we went to another office on monday, then the girl gave us that letter.

11-01-2005 - got a letter from NVC saying the case was sent to Bogota embassy in oct 28th

11-04-2005 - got package 3 on Bogota and faxed DS-230 and OF-169, i will send them to the embassy too.

Timeline

this is what the letter says:

Dear Adriana ....

This is to show that you requested a Social security card on March 27.2006. we cannot issue you a social security card until we check the document(s) you gave us to show your citizenship or alien status, we will check the document(s) with the agency that issued them, This will take about four weeks.

If that agency tells us their records agree with yours, we will mail you a social security card. if they tell us their records do not agree with yours, we will let you know, in writing, that we can not issue you a card.

this letter does not mean that we will issue you a social security card, it also does not show you have the right to work in the united states.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say that you will probably just get your SSN card in the mail in due course, from reading that letter.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline
this is what the letter says:

Dear Adriana ....

This is to show that you requested a Social security card on March 27.2006. we cannot issue you a social security card until we check the document(s) you gave us to show your citizenship or alien status, we will check the document(s) with the agency that issued them, This will take about four weeks.

If that agency tells us their records agree with yours, we will mail you a social security card. if they tell us their records do not agree with yours, we will let you know, in writing, that we can not issue you a card.

this letter does not mean that we will issue you a social security card, it also does not show you have the right to work in the united states.

That's just a notice acknowledging you have submitted an SSN application. Nothing is going to happen until SSA can verify your status as being work authorized.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card in your status has expired or is within 14 days of expiring.

K-1 status is good for 90 days, so that only gives you 76 days to be assigned an SSN and issued a card. After that time you will need an EAD or I-551 card to establish authorization to work. Before that time your

I-94 showing K-1 status is the document that establishes authorization to work for SSN purposes.

The status/documents of all aliens must be verified before SSA will assign an SSN and/or issue a card and the 14 day limit applies even if you pass the 76th day while waiting for your status to be verified.

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the assigning

of an SSN and/or issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, I suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

My husband got the same letter from the SS office when he went to get his SSN (before we were married). The card never came (but that's because I believe my postman hates me fore some unknown reason). Anyway, we went back to request a card again. SSA will give you a print out of your number on a sheet of paper and stamp it so if you need your actual number for anything before you get your card you can use it, such as opening a bank account. But yes, you will have to wait a while for the SSA to check with USCIS to make sure you can get a SSN. My hubby was sent a letter saying that SSA had received verification or something like that and the card should be mailed within two weeks or so. After you are verified then you can get the letter I mentioned earlier. Good Luck!!! :D

K.

Timeline

thank you so much :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline
My husband got the same letter from the SS office when he went to get his SSN (before we were married). The card never came (but that's because I believe my postman hates me fore some unknown reason). Anyway, we went back to request a card again. SSA will give you a print out of your number on a sheet of paper and stamp it so if you need your actual number for anything before you get your card you can use it, such as opening a bank account. But yes, you will have to wait a while for the SSA to check with USCIS to make sure you can get a SSN. My hubby was sent a letter saying that SSA had received verification or something like that and the card should be mailed within two weeks or so. After you are verified then you can get the letter I mentioned earlier. Good Luck!!! :D

K.

If you want to get a copy of the card that never came, then you will have to re-apply for the SSN itself; even though you already have an SSN. This means that, when you re-apply, they will have to forward all your information (copy of passport, I-94, etc) BACK to DHS... which means you have to wait. Again.

09/27/05: Posted I-129F to VSC

09/30/05: Received NOA1 from VSC

10/08/05: NVC receives I-129F from VSC

11/28/05: Medical completed in Dakar

11/30/05: Interview completed in Dakar

12/01/05: Received visa in Dakar

12/22/05: Arrived in the U.S. via JFK & received temp. EAD

12/28/05: Applied for SSN

12/29/05: Applied for marriage licence

01/07/06: Got married!

01/17/06: Received SSN (still waiting for actual card)

01/18/06: Started new job

01/18/06: Applied for Maine state ID

01/26/06: Sent EAD, AOS and AP applications to Chicago lockbox

01/28/06: Received Maine state ID

02/04/06: Received NOA1 for AOS and AP, sent in wrong check for EAD :(

02/06/06: Resent EAD to Chicago lockbox

02/14/06: Received NOA1 for EAD

02/15/06: Received biometrics appointment date

03/10/06: Gave biometrics

03/24/06: AP approved via email

03/30/06: Received AP document in mail

04/12/06: Get immunization supplements

04/24/06: AOS interview (case pending, need another I-864 and FBI name check pending)

04/28/06: EAD approved via email

05/01/06: Received EAD card in mail

10/20/06: AOS approved! After almost 180 days...

10/21/06: Received AOS approval email

10/27/06: Received Welcome to America letter

10/29/06: Received Green Card in mail

We got this same letter. It was because my husband's information was not entered into the SAVE system correctly, so they needed a manual verification from USCIS. We got the SSN in the mail 5 weeks later.

Hopefully your number will come sooner than that. It's useful to have.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello phillybogota,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! :)

I was able to open a bank account without having a SSN. You should go to different banks and ask their procedures for opening an account. They will need you to fill out an IRS W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Witholding). If opening a bank account is an urgent necessity for you at the moment, then you can do this. If not you might want to wait the issuance of a SSN.

As for drivers license...I do not know how it works in your state but I was able to get a State ID (I do not drive) by showing the DMV, USCIS NOA1 letter showing my place of residence (it has to be at least 30 days old). Again it depends on how your state does it.

My suggestion for SSN is that you keep visiting SS office and ask about the progress.

It is annoying I know... Even after they confirm your status and the authenticity of your documents with USCIS the SS card they give you says that it is valid for work only with DHS authorization. As if they gave people SSN without seeing work permit (K1 is different)...

Good luck with this bureaucracy.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.