Ksenia_O

Citizenship through Military Service

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone.

My son just got his citizenship (applied based on Military service) and I wanted to share his experience.

His timeline:

1. June 2014 - entered the US as a K-2 (was 19 years old )

2. Sept. 2015 - got his conditional GC

3. Sept. 2018 - got his 10-years GC

4. April 2020 - went to bootcamp (NAVY)

5. June 2020 - eligible to apply for N-400.

Now, knowing, he would be "balancing" between so many different locations (bootcamp in Chicago, then A-school in Pensacola , then C-school in California) he decided to wait with his N-400 submission and applied once he was at his permanent base/station. 

It took NAVY almost 30 days to provide him with the certified N-426. But long story short - he submitted his on-line N-400 in March, 2021.

There was a question in the application if he had an upcoming deployment. But since his deployment WAS NOT within the next 3 months, the answer was "No".

Once he reached that "3 months until deployment" window (the end of May or so), he contacted the USCIS Military help line by email, WITH the statement of upcoming deployment attached.

He also sent a message via account, but there was no answer ever since... No surprise though;)

In a week or so he received an email from the USCIS Military help line that they sent a request to expedite his N-400 due to his deployment.

A week after  the status of his N-400 changed to "Interview scheduled". 

He had his Interview last Friday, July 16. And they did the Ceremony right after that.

It took him about 3 months to get his Citizenship.

It was Seattle USCIS Office.

Military help line:
https://www.uscis.gov/military/military-help-line   

P.S. From son's observation it seems like a lot of non-US cit. Service members are not aware of the process and/OR what can be done to expedite. And sadly - not always a qualified help possible at your Unit as well.

So I've thought I'd share his experience so it may be helpful to someone :)

Good luck to everyone who is still in this incredible journey!

It happened to me. But in my case it is my husband who is serving. We request for expedite the moment be got his orders (after my biometrics- 1 year after we filed)

Took my oath July 15 ☺️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.