JoshandSarah

New Zealand Police Certificate??

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everybody,

This is a straight forward question, when applying for a police certificate in New Zealand, do you apply with "NZ police vetting" or through the Ministry of Justice for a criminal records check?

I personally cannot find the most updated information anywhere which is maybe evident to others, if someone could provide the link that'd be great.

Thank you all! 

Edited by JoshandSarah

Timeline
15 minutes ago, JoshandSarah said:

Hi everybody,

This is a straight forward question, when applying for a police certificate in New Zealand, do you apply with "NZ police vetting" or through the Ministry of Justice for a criminal records check?

I personally cannot find the most updated information anywhere which is maybe evident to others, if someone could provide the link that'd be great.

Thank you all! 

Figured it out

Timeline
1 hour ago, Vamp.nz said:

What did you figure out?  Which one did you need?? 😉

NZ police website:

United States of America

The Police Vetting Service only processes vetting requests for immigrant visa ‘green card’ applications. If applying for a non-immigrant visa, please apply to the Ministry of Justice for a Criminal Record Check.

The arrangement between the United States authorities and the Police Vetting Service is that all results for US visa vetting requests will be e-mailed to the US Consulate General in Auckland (AucklandIV@state.gov(link sends e-mail)), regardless of where the visa application has been lodged.

The Auckland Consulate is then responsible for forwarding the results to the relevant consulate/embassy or the National Visa Centre as required. 

To help reduce delays, please include your US visa application case number (e.g. ACK2017958275) on the form in the section ‘Which country is this letter being requested for?’, and the address for the office where the visa is being processed.

Once your request has been processed by the Police Vetting Service, please direct any further queries to the US Consulate General in Auckland. Contact details can be found here: https://nz.usembassy.gov/contact/#consulateauckland(link is external)

Neither the Police Vetting Service nor the US authorities can provide a copy of the result to the applicant. If you are required to bring a criminal record check result to your visa interview, you will need to request a Criminal Record Check from the Ministry of Justice.

Travel.state.gov:

To obtain a New Zealand Police clearance certificate for U.S. Immigration, you must download and sign a Section 14 ‘overseas’ form available on the New Zealand Police Vetting Service website, http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/businesses-and-organisations/vetting/vetting-process-visas.

Visajourney Consulate Information: 

- Police Certificate for all places lived for over ONE year (12 months) since the age of 16. The NZ Police checks will be sent directly from NZ Police to the US Consulate. You will not get a copy of this.

Use this link from my understanding, someone can correct me if i'm wrong: http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/businesses-and-organisations/vetting/vetting-process-visas

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, JoshandSarah said:

NZ police website:

United States of America

The Police Vetting Service only processes vetting requests for immigrant visa ‘green card’ applications. If applying for a non-immigrant visa, please apply to the Ministry of Justice for a Criminal Record Check.

The arrangement between the United States authorities and the Police Vetting Service is that all results for US visa vetting requests will be e-mailed to the US Consulate General in Auckland (AucklandIV@state.gov(link sends e-mail)), regardless of where the visa application has been lodged.

The Auckland Consulate is then responsible for forwarding the results to the relevant consulate/embassy or the National Visa Centre as required. 

To help reduce delays, please include your US visa application case number (e.g. ACK2017958275) on the form in the section ‘Which country is this letter being requested for?’, and the address for the office where the visa is being processed.

Once your request has been processed by the Police Vetting Service, please direct any further queries to the US Consulate General in Auckland. Contact details can be found here: https://nz.usembassy.gov/contact/#consulateauckland(link is external)

Neither the Police Vetting Service nor the US authorities can provide a copy of the result to the applicant. If you are required to bring a criminal record check result to your visa interview, you will need to request a Criminal Record Check from the Ministry of Justice.

Travel.state.gov:

To obtain a New Zealand Police clearance certificate for U.S. Immigration, you must download and sign a Section 14 ‘overseas’ form available on the New Zealand Police Vetting Service website, http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/businesses-and-organisations/vetting/vetting-process-visas.

- Police Certificate for all places lived for over ONE year (12 months) since the age of 16. The NZ Police checks will be sent directly from NZ Police to the US Consulate. You will not get a copy of this.

Use this link from my understanding, someone can correct me if i'm wrong: http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/businesses-and-organisations/vetting/vetting-process-visas

Hey, this is such a weird process. Make sure you upload in CEAC the confirmation email for the Section 14 request that says the police report was sent directly to the Consulate. I emailed AucklandIV to ask if this was the correct process and they responded (weeks later, unhelpfully) to confirm that the vetting report had been received and that they had also forwarded it NVC. Nothing has changed in my CEAC portal since my last submission on June 8th so I'm crossing everything that they are satisfied with the email confirmation, as specified. I will update with the outcome...

Timeline
35 minutes ago, EKT said:

Hey, this is such a weird process. Make sure you upload in CEAC the confirmation email for the Section 14 request that says the police report was sent directly to the Consulate. I emailed AucklandIV to ask if this was the correct process and they responded (weeks later, unhelpfully) to confirm that the vetting report had been received and that they had also forwarded it NVC. Nothing has changed in my CEAC portal since my last submission on June 8th so I'm crossing everything that they are satisfied with the email confirmation, as specified. I will update with the outcome...

is that for K1 or for ir1/cr1 or different visa?
isn't it different or?? 😯

Edited by JoshandSarah

8 hours ago, JoshandSarah said:

is that for K1 or for ir1/cr1 or different visa?
isn't it different or?? 😯

IR-1. Oh, it might be different for K-1! Do you still have to get everything processed by NVC before your case goes to the consulate?

Timeline
4 hours ago, EKT said:

IR-1. Oh, it might be different for K-1! Do you still have to get everything processed by NVC before your case goes to the consulate?

for K1, NVC is pretty much a holding ground for approved visas from what I know, they do background checks and we get a case number for K1 and it gets passed on. We don't upload anything, we just wait for it to get to consulate etc..

Edited by JoshandSarah

4 hours ago, JoshandSarah said:

for K1, NVC is pretty much a holding ground for approved visas from what I know, they do background checks and we get a case number for K1 and it gets passed on. We don't upload anything, we just wait for it to get to consulate etc..

Wow, that sounds so much better than the IR-1 process. We just got the email today that everything was accepted by NVC so now just waiting on an interview date. Good luck with everything!

Timeline
3 hours ago, EKT said:

Wow, that sounds so much better than the IR-1 process. We just got the email today that everything was accepted by NVC so now just waiting on an interview date. Good luck with everything!

Nice! goodluck to you too!

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, JoshandSarah said:

NZ police website:

United States of America

Travel.state.gov:

Hey did this end up being the correct solution for the k1 visa

Just ensuring I'm looking at the right places when the time comes!

Timeline
54 minutes ago, sourumeboshi said:

Hey did this end up being the correct solution for the k1 visa

Just ensuring I'm looking at the right places when the time comes!

Hi there! yes it is correct, focus on the two bottom links, the department of state link specifically. It says 'for green cards' but also works for K1. Use the following instructions for a police certificate for a K1 from New Zealand:

Complete a Section 14 ‘overseas’ form (DOCX 38KB) (Visa Purposes Only) specifying the country you require the visa for, and providing the postal address for the authorities where the result will be sent.

Please also include any special instructions, such as if the result requires Apostille certification and whether this is required to be in English or another language.

Sign the form (this can be done electronically), and send it into the Police Vetting Service at vetting@police.govt.nz(link sends e-mail).

Please attach the completed form as a .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .jpeg format file. We cannot accept .zip attachments or files in .pages format. We may not be able to accept other formats.

You will not get the results as they will go straight to the consulate but you will get a confirmation email once they process it, it took me like 2 days to get my confirmation email.

Hope this helps,

Josh

Edited by JoshandSarah

20 minutes ago, JoshandSarah said:

Hi there! yes it is correct, focus on the two bottom links, the department of state link specifically. It says 'for green cards' but also works for K1. Use the following instructions for a police certificate for a K1 from New Zealand:

Complete a Section 14 ‘overseas’ form (DOCX 38KB) (Visa Purposes Only) specifying the country you require the visa for, and providing the postal address for the authorities where the result will be sent.

Please also include any special instructions, such as if the result requires Apostille certification and whether this is required to be in English or another language.

Sign the form (this can be done electronically), and send it into the Police Vetting Service at vetting@police.govt.nz(link sends e-mail).

Please attach the completed form as a .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .jpeg format file. We cannot accept .zip attachments or files in .pages format. We may not be able to accept other formats.

You will not get the results as they will go straight to the consulate but you will get a confirmation email once they process it, it took me like 2 days to get my confirmation email.

Hope this helps,

Josh

Thank you! That's so very helpful. 

• 11 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.