MovingToFlorida

Are people allowed to drive into the US when moving there?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are moving to the US in 2 weeks and are planning to drive into the US as we have our car to bring and our dog. 

Are Canadians moving to the US with valid visas allowed to drive in at a land border with current restrictions?

From what I've read I THINK it's ok as we are lawful permanent residents now and have proper travel documentation (our visas etc). But I wanted to ask here just incase cause I find it confusing. It doesn't flat out say people moving there from what I can see.

It will be the Ontario/Michigan border crossing. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

need list and proof of rabies shots and other treatments dog has had

car has to have US emissions standards

Oh yes I know all that. We have all of that ready to go 🙂. I'm more concerned about us being allowed in through land in general. Will they let us through by land or are they not allowing people moving at land borders right now?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello, Im not sure if this helps but Im in a similar situacion but with Mexico and K1 visa. I know the restrictions got extended another month to July 20 (hopefully the last). So I called CBP and went down in person to their processing/permit unit on 2 seperate occasions, and I was told both times that they are processing K1 visa's despite the restrictions. K1 is technically non-immigrant, Soooo I think its safe to say you're good to go with the spousal visa since its immigrant🙂. I haven't crossed my fiancé yet as she has not received her visa so I can't tell you first hand. Hopefully we get it soon, its been over 7 days since It was issued and still nothing

Timeline
7 minutes ago, jose8399 said:

Hello, Im not sure if this helps but Im in a similar situacion but with Mexico and K1 visa. I know the restrictions got extended another month to July 20 (hopefully the last). So I called CBP and went down in person to their processing/permit unit on 2 seperate occasions, and I was told both times that they are processing K1 visa's despite the restrictions. K1 is technically non-immigrant, Soooo I think its safe to say you're good to go with the spousal visa since its immigrant🙂. I haven't crossed my fiancé yet as she has not received her visa so I can't tell you first hand. Hopefully we get it soon, its been over 7 days since It was issued and still nothing

Thank you! I'm not spousal either but Family F3 which is also an immigrant visa. Good luck with everything! 🙂

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/3/2021 at 8:47 AM, JeanneAdil said:

need list and proof of rabies shots and other treatments dog has had

car has to have US emissions standards

What if you're not importing your car but just driving it over? Does it still need to meet US emission standards? I am driving my very old car over because I can't afford a rental. I won't be importing my car. Thanks.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, CGs_Mother said:

What if you're not importing your car but just driving it over? Does it still need to meet US emission standards? I am driving my very old car over because I can't afford a rental. I won't be importing my car. Thanks.

You can drive over in your car I'm sure cause you can drive over as a tourist in your own car. You just won't be able to register and get a new license plate for it without importing. I may be wrong but I think I read that somewhere. Cause some people don't import right at the border when they enter. They do it later when they register and get new plates. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

You can drive over in your car I'm sure cause you can drive over as a tourist in your own car. You just won't be able to register and get a new license plate for it without importing. I may be wrong but I think I read that somewhere. Cause some people don't import right at the border when they enter. They do it later when they register and get new plates. 

OK awesome! My car is on its last legs and I am planning on using the money from the sale of my house to buy a new car when I get to Texas. My insurance runs out in August and my underwriters gave me an extension on my policy since it was only a month. I read in another thread about an emissions letter??? I didn't know if I needed that just to drive over as an LPR. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, CGs_Mother said:

OK awesome! My car is on its last legs and I am planning on using the money from the sale of my house to buy a new car when I get to Texas. My insurance runs out in August and my underwriters gave me an extension on my policy since it was only a month. I read in another thread about an emissions letter??? I didn't know if I needed that just to drive over as an LPR. 

As long as your car isn't financed I think you should be ok. If ot is you need permission to bring it to the US. The emissions letter I think is of you're importing it. If it's over a certain age or doesn't have the label in the car that says it's emissions approved. You can always call the port of entry you're going to cross to ask. That's what we did. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, MovingToFlorida said:

As long as your car isn't financed I think you should be ok. If ot is you need permission to bring it to the US. The emissions letter I think is of you're importing it. If it's over a certain age or doesn't have the label in the car that says it's emissions approved. You can always call the port of entry you're going to cross to ask. That's what we did. 

Thanks very much! We are also crossing at Windsor/Detroit so I'll give them a call. My car is completely paid off so she's all mine :) good luck with your dog! We're driving a cat down...

Timeline
Just now, CGs_Mother said:

Thanks very much! We are also crossing at Windsor/Detroit so I'll give them a call. My car is completely paid off so she's all mine :) good luck with your dog! We're driving a cat down...

Thanks! Yep we got her shots updated and her certificate and all her medical history. When do you move? We will cross into the US July 17th. 

Timeline
54 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Thanks! Yep we got her shots updated and her certificate and all her medical history. When do you move? We will cross into the US July 17th. 

We might see you there. We are also crossing on July 17 ! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.