Neo16521

Second quick question

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I posted another question last night, but forgot to introduce myself and my situation with my fiancé.

My name is Vin, I live in NY and my fiancé who I've been with for years lives in Namibia.  We just got engaged last month here in NY.  Around Sept/Oct we're going to get married in Namibia and then start the process to get her the CR-1 spousal visa.

So she so happens to be a dual citizen.  Dutch and Namibian, which leads to my question.  Would it be more advantageous to use one citizenship over another to apply for the spousal visa?

I'm assuming that she must use the citizenship of the country she's currently residing in, but is it even possible to use the other one?

Again thank you guys in advance for any answers!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Neo16521 said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I posted another question last night, but forgot to introduce myself and my situation with my fiancé.

My name is Vin, I live in NY and my fiancé who I've been with for years lives in Namibia.  We just got engaged last month here in NY.  Around Sept/Oct we're going to get married in Namibia and then start the process to get her the CR-1 spousal visa.

So she so happens to be a dual citizen.  Dutch and Namibian, which leads to my question.  Would it be more advantageous to use one citizenship over another to apply for the spousal visa?

I'm assuming that she must use the citizenship of the country she's currently residing in, but is it even possible to use the other one?

Again thank you guys in advance for any answers!!

No advantage either way

YMMV

14 hours ago, Neo16521 said:

She will need to disclose both citizenships on her DS-260 visa application form.

14 hours ago, Neo16521 said:

It may be possible for her to choose the consulate in either country of citizenship to interview in.  Check with the consulate if holding citizenship is enough to be allowed to interview.  If the current address listed in the visa application form is outside the country, the consulate may require proof of actual residency, in addition to citizenship.

Edited by Chancy
option to choose consulate

Makes no difference which passport she uses. I am assuming for her own ease she wants to interview close to where she lives (not travel from Namibia to Amsterdam, for example), bearing in mind she will also have to have the medical exam done in the country she interviews in.  Namibian residents interview for immigrant visas in Johannesburg, which is only around a 2 hour flight from Windhoek, and any accommodation costs etc (and probably the medical) will be cheaper than the Netherlands.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Makes no difference which passport she uses. I am assuming for her own ease she wants to interview close to where she lives (not travel from Namibia to Amsterdam, for example), bearing in mind she will also have to have the medical exam done in the country she interviews in.  Namibian residents interview for immigrant visas in Johannesburg, which is only around a 2 hour flight from Windhoek, and any accommodation costs etc (and probably the medical) will be cheaper than the Netherlands.

Where it makes a difference is regarding your other question about visiting during the process.  A Dutch citizen doesn't need a visa to visit the US, but one with only Namibian Citizenship both needs one and is unlikely to get it.  Have you two met in person yet?  Have you had regular live video calls?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

42 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Where it makes a difference is regarding your other question about visiting during the process.  A Dutch citizen doesn't need a visa to visit the US, but one with only Namibian Citizenship both needs one and is unlikely to get it.  Have you two met in person yet?  Have you had regular live video calls?

? The question here is about the immigrant visa, and that’s what I answered. I don’t make a habit of searching all possible threads by someone before I answer what they asked, especially when it’s a straightforward question  🤷‍♀️ 

Thank you all for the good answers!!

44 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes we have.  She's been to NY twice and I've travelled to Namibia twice as well.  There's not a day that goes by where we don't video chat, literally every day.

Yeah, you guessed it all right.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

? The question here is about the immigrant visa, and that’s what I answered. I don’t make a habit of searching all possible threads by someone before I answer what they asked, especially when it’s a straightforward question  🤷‍♀️ 

My reply was addressing the OP.  Your answer was excellent, as usual.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.