TB44

N-400 Application - question on travel outside the US

5 posts in this topic

So, the question in the N-400 application is "Have you taken a trip outside of the United States in the last 5 years?", and then you have to list all your trips outside the US.  I assume this question was written for those who are applying on the basis of 5 years of permanent residency, and it hasn't been adjusted to take account of the fact that people (like me) are eligible to apply for citizenship after only 3 years of residency.  I think the question is probably intended to ask "have you taken a trip outside the United States since you became a lawful permanent resident"...

So, if applying for citizenship on the basis of 3 years' permanent residency, do you answer this question: (a) with 3 years of travel history (which doesn't strictly answer the question as-written, but answers it in terms of travel taken since becoming a lawful permanent resident), or (b) 5 years of travel history (which will include 2 years when I wasn't living in the US)?!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yes it's asking about travels since you became an LPR (or the 5 last years as an LPR if you have been an LPR longer than 5 years). Only time being an LPR counts towards citizenship, whatever visa or other type of status you had prior to becoming an LPR doesn't mean anything. 

When filing under the 3 year rule you mention all travels you've taken since you became an LPR. Personally I would also write down all travels I took BEFORE becoming an LPR just in case, if you for instance came here on a K-1 visa (most of us K-1ers lived in the US for a year or more before becoming LPRs, so I personally would add any travels I had taken during that period as well. This is just my personal opinion). 

You don't write down time you spent outside the US before you moved to the US.

For work/school and address history I wrote down for 5 years to get rid of the warnings in the online form. That included my foreign address and work place.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Although I applied via 3-years marriage, I added 5-years worth of travel - just so I completed against the question asked "Have you taken a trip outside of the United States in the last 5 years?".

I ended up confusing the AO at yesterday's interview "but you are applying under the 3 year law...why did you add 5 years worth of travel. Okay let's go through all of them and then delete what we don't need" 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

• 11 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, El Escocés said:

Although I applied via 3-years marriage, I added 5-years worth of travel - just so I completed against the question asked "Have you taken a trip outside of the United States in the last 5 years?".

I ended up confusing the AO at yesterday's interview "but you are applying under the 3 year law...why did you add 5 years worth of travel. Okay let's go through all of them and then delete what we don't need" 

Hey there -- planning to do the same as your on the app im going to submit next week. The main thing i was worried about was whether or not the system would flag it since at this point i have 200+ days outside of the U.S. with the 5-year question since i came on a K1 and wasnt even legally allowed to move to the U.S. until 2018 lol. I cant believe after all this time they havent updated the question since you said the AO was even confused! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.