tiantian2

Do I need to file for address change, if I simply want to remove the "In care of"?

12 posts in this topic

Hi, after I received greencard two years ago, I moved in with my husband. After I move in, I filed for address change with USCIS. At that time I was afraid that mailman won't recognize my name yet so I filled "In Care of (Husband Name)" on the address change form. 

Now I'm filing for I-751. I wonder if I should still put in my husband's name at "In care of", just to be CONSISTENT with what address USCIS have on file? But, I am a bit afriad that this will give the perception that I don't actually live here. 

Alternatively, if I want to remove the "in care of" at USCIS record, do I need to submit a new change of address form? I am afraid that this doesn't apply as I'm not really changing my physical address. 

Sorry, I know I probably worried too much, but this is getting on my nerves. Your input is much appreciated!

@tiantian2, I would not include the "in care of" when filing the I-751. I do not know if that would require you to file the AR-11 or to simply state your address on the I-751. I personally would just state the address without the "in care of".

From personal experience, I can tell you, though, that at one point, I used "in care of" to include both names on an utility bill and the immigration officer did not like that. To her, it was as if my spouse did not live there. This was years ago. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

@USC4SPOUSE  Thank you so much for your reply. Interesting to hear the immigrant officer's reaction to the "in care of".

I agree with you that with I-751 I should state the address without " in care of" to avoid the negative perception of not living together. 

Now, the remaining question is whether I am required to file an address change form with USCIS just to remove the "in care of". Anyone having information about this? 

2 minutes ago, tiantian2 said:

@USC4SPOUSE  Thank you so much for your reply. Interesting to hear the immigrant officer's reaction to the "in care of".

I agree with you that with I-751 I should state the address without " in care of" to avoid the negative perception of not living together. 

Now, the remaining question is whether I am required to file an address change form with USCIS just to remove the "in care of". Anyone having information about this? 

Sure, you're welcome. Technically speaking, you are not changing your address, right? My gut feeling tells me you would not need to file the AR-11. You know, alternatively, you can always call USCIS and ask. On the upside, having the "in care of" part on your address did not have a negative impact on your green card. Haha, it's possible you are overthinking this. But hey, better safe than sorry.

Did you receive a reminder to fill out the I-751? Did it show the "in care of" part?

I-751 Joint Filing.

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

@USC4SPOUSE  I called USCIS to ask whether the address change is needed. But I can't get through the robot, who either gives me generic information about address change, or refuse to move me forward to a live representative...

I did not receive a reminder to file I-751. 

When you said "having the "in care of" part on your address did not have a negative impact on your green card", what do you mean? I thought you said that the immigration officer did not like you using "in care of" on utility bills, so it sort of does have some slight negative impact?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

@USC4SPOUSE  I called USCIS to ask whether the address change is needed. But I can't get through the robot, who either gives me generic information about address change, or refuse to move me forward to a live representative...

When you said "having the "in care of" part on your address did not have a negative impact on your green card", what do you mean? I thought you said that the immigration officer did not like you using "in care of" on utility bills, so it sort of does have some slight negative impact?

I wouldn’t do an address change as there is no address change. Simply don’t use in care of in i-751 is what I would do. As the address doesn’t change and in care of is not exactly part of an address.

in care of gives the impression that it is not your resident but you are living at someone else’s house. I’m guessing that’s the part @USC4SPOUSE meant.

5 minutes ago, tiantian2 said:

I can see I did not communicate clearly there. You said you went through AOS with the "in care of" as part of your address, right? And it was approved. Therefore, I am drawing the conclusion that having that did not negatively impact your AOS process. Now, in my case, years ago, I remember that the in care of part just opened a line of questioning that I simply did not even know where it was coming from. All I wanted was to show both names on the utility bills and there was no other way.

I think it comes down to the officer. I would personally remove the "in care of" and just file the I-751 without the "in care of". Having the "in care of" sounds like you're maybe staying there or that the person at that address is collecting mail for you temporarily. 

Edited by USC4SPOUSE

I-751 Joint Filing.

@USC4SPOUSE Got it, thank you! I was in a different city and doing long distance with husband when first applying for green card. For convenience, I put my citizen husband's address as "in care of" mine at that time so that I can receive all USCIS correspondence in time. I don't know if it had a negative impact--at interview, the officer talked with my husband for an hour! and then with me for half hour, that was already 4:30 pm something and office is about to close. Good times...that experience certainly added to my anxiety response...

Edited by tiantian2

@USC4SPOUSE Got it, thank you! I was in a different city and doing long distance with husband when first applying for green card. For convenience, I put my citizen husband's address as "in care of" mine at that time so that I can receive all USCIS correspondence in time. I don't know if it had a negative impact--at interview, the officer talked with my husband for an hour! and then with me for half hour, that was already 4:30 pm something and office is about to close. Good times...that experience certainly added to my anxiety response...

That makes more sense. But either way, it does not sound like you got drilled on that.

Fortunately, we are discuss removing conditions here. It is so much easier than filing for AOS. AOS builds character. I've always said that being interviewed by an immigration officer changes you. LOL

I-751 Joint Filing.

13 minutes ago, tiantian2 said:

@USC4SPOUSE  haha in my case I think AOS destroyed (or damaged) my character! I was pretty chill before that, after which I became a nervous ball and stayed that way for years.

Now That I think of it. I did spend the last two years saying to my husband “let’s print that. that’s good evidence of Bona fide marriage”. 

We are almost there. 😝 

I-751 Joint Filing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I have put “in care of” on my I-751 with my husbands name because our FPO mailing address has everything coming in to my husbands name. No issues, and letters from USCIS has my husband and my name 

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.