MovingToFlorida

Help! So overwhelmed learning about importing car to US

16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I recently learned we have to import our car in order to bring it with us when we move. We will be moving from Ontario to Florida and coming over the Michigan/Detroit border. 

We have a 2016 Mazda CX-5.

I have searched on line and on Visa Journey to try and get an understanding and my head is spinning and I'm very stressed. It looks super difficult and I had no idea it was this hard. 

Can anyone break it down for me/explain to me like I'm 5?

We will be driving when we immigrate over. 4 of us and a large-ish dog. So we wanted to bring our car. We just bought it last year. 

Is it worth the hassle? Is it as difficult as it looks? If we didn't bring it with us how the heck do we drive over? A rental car? Can you go one way with a rental? We don't want to fly with our dog. 

I'm so stressed over this. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Please help! I know there are lots of posts about this but they're all so specific about this issue and that...I am lost.

What have any of you done?

Filed: Timeline
33 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

So I recently learned we have to import our car in order to bring it with us when we move. We will be moving from Ontario to Florida and coming over the Michigan/Detroit border. 

We have a 2016 Mazda CX-5.

I have searched on line and on Visa Journey to try and get an understanding and my head is spinning and I'm very stressed. It looks super difficult and I had no idea it was this hard. 

Can anyone break it down for me/explain to me like I'm 5?

We will be driving when we immigrate over. 4 of us and a large-ish dog. So we wanted to bring our car. We just bought it last year. 

Is it worth the hassle? Is it as difficult as it looks? If we didn't bring it with us how the heck do we drive over? A rental car? Can you go one way with a rental? We don't want to fly with our dog. 

I'm so stressed over this. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Please help! I know there are lots of posts about this but they're all so specific about this issue and that...I am lost.

What have any of you done?

I would start by confirming the car meets the EPA emissions requirements for importation to the US.  EPA has a helpful site just for Canadian vehicles:  https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/importing-canadian-vehicles.  It includes a list of the US contact persons for makes of cars for getting proper documentation of emission standards of your vehicle.  You will also need to provide information that the car meets Department of Transportation (DOT) safety standards by filling out a DOT declaration form HS-7.  You can Google the form number to get it and find sites that take you through it step-by-step.

I would also verify where my car was manufactured. If it was manufactured in Canada, Mexico, or the US, the vehicle can be brought into the US duty-free.  If it was manufactured in a country other than one of those, you will likely have to pay import duty tax.  (Yes, even if it's your personal vehivle and is for your persional use.)  The duty tax for vehicles for personal use is usually 3% for the first $1,000 of value and 2.5% for the remaining value of the car.  If you have to pay duty, it might be cheaper to sell the car in Canada and buy a new one in the US.

Finally, I'd take a look at CBP information on what else might be required: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car.  CBP at the Buffalo NY Port of Entry has an informational phone number that gives really simple, clear steps that are easy to understand (716-843-8348).  (It has specific information on using that POE, like which bridges have CBP personnel who can process the vehicle import, but the steps they provide apply to all.)

Good luck on sorting it all out!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Importing a car

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/publications-and-forms-importing-vehicles-and-engines#procedures

There is a customs form and an EPA form

to fill out.  There are customs duties on the import.  

I brought one back from Saudi and let an agent ship and handle it - it was brought from the US and I returned back and it wa still a pain.  

The customs forms/EPA forms are stamped at the border.  Those forms get turned in to the state DMV when you register and apply for a title.

Critical that the vehicle meet EPA standards because until you modify it you won’t be able to use it.  The manufacturer’s stamp on the door usually confirms that OR you can check it with the manufacturer by VIN number. Honda (mine) was available.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you still have car payments? If so you will not be able to import it. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
Just now, Ontarkie said:

Do you still have car payments? If so you will not be able to import it. 

Yes. We just bought it last year. I haven't read that you can't import it if you are still paying for it anywhere. Can you show me where it says that?

Timeline
1 minute ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Yes. We just bought it last year. I haven't read that you can't import it if you are still paying for it anywhere. Can you show me where it says that?

It's because the finance company owns the car still. They cannot collect if you skip out paying. I have never seen someone be able to import it without owning it outright.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

It's because the finance company owns the car still. They cannot collect if you skip out paying. I have never seen someone be able to import it without owning it outright.

We had no choice but to buy a car last year cause our car engine completely broke. We asked when we bought it and they said they were fine with us taking the car with us to the US. 

So if we find out that we can't take it, how are we supposed to get to the US? We don't want to fly as we have a large dog. We wanted to drive. There will be 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. So how do we go then without our car?

Moving from Ontario to Florida 

Timeline

You will have to call whoever you have the loan through. 

Since you will have basically your GC on entry you can drive down to move and not import the car. Your insurance will be good for a little bit and give you time to find another car in Florida. Then take it back to Canada to sell. 

But unless you can get a letter from the finance company to let you take it permanently to the US and that is very unlikely to happen. Then the above or  selling it in Canada and finding something you can buy in cash. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

You will have to call whoever you have the loan through. 

Since you will have basically your GC on entry you can drive down to move and not import the car. Your insurance will be good for a little bit and give you time to find another car in Florida. Then take it back to Canada to sell. 

But unless you can get a letter from the finance company to let you take it permanently to the US and that is very unlikely to happen. Then the above or  selling it in Canada and finding something you can buy in cash. 

We just called our loan company and they said they are ok with us taking it to the US. So would a letter from the finance company at the border stating this be ok?

Timeline
1 minute ago, MovingToFlorida said:

We just called our loan company and they said they are ok with us taking it to the US. So would a letter from the finance company at the border stating this be ok?

If you can get them to send you a letter make sure the letter says you can import it permanently to the US. You might get asked for the letter at the border (it's been missed at POE before)  while importing it but will need it when you register it in Florida. 

Then you would just need to have the compliance letter and you should be good.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Hello!

im actually dealing with this right now. I crossed the border in January with my 2018 civic and just temporarily imported it. I had to get an auto loan with my new bank (Alta one in California) which was a pain because they needed a 14 day per diem of the loan from Honda Canada, which doesn’t exist in Canada, the best they could do was a 5 day per diem. Your bank should work with you and try their best to make the loan happen because they want your money though haha. The loan got finalized Friday and they’re sending it right to Honda. If you have any questions about anything feel free to message me!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, MovingToFlorida said:

We had no choice but to buy a car last year cause our car engine completely broke. We asked when we bought it and they said they were fine with us taking the car with us to the US. 

So if we find out that we can't take it, how are we supposed to get to the US? We don't want to fly as we have a large dog. We wanted to drive. There will be 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. So how do we go then without our car?

Moving from Ontario to Florida 

That’s what they told my fiancé too but dealerships are scummy and will say anything to get you to buy their car. Now we’re stuck with a 2019 new car that still has a loan on it that we can’t import into the US. Luckily we are very grateful that my fiancé’s parents can take it in since his dad needs a car anyway but it’s a big issue. 

another thing you will have to look at is TPMS. They will not allow you to import your car if you do not have TPMS. Sometimes they allow aftermarket but it’s a big risk

On 5/10/2021 at 5:42 PM, Dbrennan said:

Hello!

im actually dealing with this right now. I crossed the border in January with my 2018 civic and just temporarily imported it. I had to get an auto loan with my new bank (Alta one in California) which was a pain because they needed a 14 day per diem of the loan from Honda Canada, which doesn’t exist in Canada, the best they could do was a 5 day per diem. Your bank should work with you and try their best to make the loan happen because they want your money though haha. The loan got finalized Friday and they’re sending it right to Honda. If you have any questions about anything feel free to message me!

Did your car have TPMS?

Just now, pooj97 said:

That’s what they told my fiancé too but dealerships are scummy and will say anything to get you to buy their car. Now we’re stuck with a 2019 new car that still has a loan on it that we can’t import into the US. Luckily we are very grateful that my fiancé’s parents can take it in since his dad needs a car anyway but it’s a big issue. 

another thing you will have to look at is TPMS. They will not allow you to import your car if you do not have TPMS. Sometimes they allow aftermarket but it’s a big risk

Did your car have TPMS?

Yes it does!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Dbrennan said:

Yes it does!

Ah okay lucky!! Ours doesn’t :( so we can’t import it because it’s a big risk and we don’t wanna get a big loan down here in the US if he won’t even be able to import it.

did you install an aftermarket tpms or was it already in your car?? What year Honda Covid do you have?

1 hour ago, pooj97 said:

Ah okay lucky!! Ours doesn’t :( so we can’t import it because it’s a big risk and we don’t wanna get a big loan down here in the US if he won’t even be able to import it.

did you install an aftermarket tpms or was it already in your car?? What year Honda Covid do you have?

It was already In the car! It’s a 2018 civic ext

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.