AELMIK

B2 Tourist Visa for NCLEX review and test in the US?

48 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

You may want to read the attached reference link below.

1.  Check the requirements in each state.

2. If you have the training outside the USA then you have to have a CGFNS certificate along with all school credentials that meet the requirements of the state that you wanted to have a license. Remember, that not all state are memebrs of Nurse Licensure Compact.

3. Once the board of nursing approved your application  then you will receive the authorization to test or ATT.

4. You can call any pearson center and schedule your test.

Read the attached link below and see the requirements in each state. The most common requirement aside from school credentials is  the CGFNS certificate for a foreign trained nursing student except Canada.

Reference: Breakdown of RN Nursing Requirements By State | NurseJournal

Reference: CGFNS International, Inc. - Nursing Credentials Evaluation

Additional informtion:

Reference: Compact Nursing States List 2021 | Licensure Map (nurse.org)

What are Nursing Compact States?

The Nursing Licensure Compact (NLC) is an agreement between states that allows nurses to have one license but the ability to practice in other states that are part of the agreement.

Originally developed in 2000, by 2015 the license had grown to include 25 states. To help streamline the process for nurses the Enhanced Nursing Licensure Compact (eNLC) was implemented in 2018 and included standards for licensure which the originally compact license was lacking.

For example, the NLC did not require applicants to undergo state and federal fingerprint-based criminal background checks, whereas the new eNLC does.

Nursing Compact States (eNLC Members)

Here’s a comprehensive listing of all states currently impacted by multi-state compact licensing.

1. Alabama 
  2. Arizona
  3. Arkansas
  4. Colorado
  5. Delaware
  6. Florida
  7. Georgia
  8. Idaho
  9. Indiana 
  10. Iowa
  11. Kansas 
  12. Kentucky
  13. Louisiana (Registered Nurse and Practical Nurse)
  14. Maine
  15. Maryland
  16. Mississippi
  17. Missouri
  18. Montana
  19. Nebraska
  20. New Hampshire 
  21. New Jersey (*New Jersey is allowing nurses who hold active, unencumbered, multi-state licenses issued by Nurse Licensure Compact member states to practice in New Jersey under their multi-state licenses.)
  22. New Mexico
  23. North Carolina
  24. North Dakota
  25. Oklahoma
  26. South Carolina
  27. South Dakota
  28. Tennessee
  29. Texas
  30. Utah
  31. Virginia
  32. West Virginia (Registered Nurse and Practical Nurse)
  33. Wisconsin 
  34. Wyoming

Twenty-four of the original NLC states have enacted the eNLC or have pending legislation. Twelve additional states and Guam have pending legislation waiting for approval before joining the eNLC. For the first time, California and Washington both have pending legislation to join the eNLC. As of March 1, 2021, there are currently thirty-four states part of the eNLC. New Jersey has partial implementation as discussed below.  

I recommend independently verifying the particulars of the intended state of residence.   The info for my state is incorrect:  we renew our licenses annually, not every three years.

12 hours ago, African Zealot said:

There’s no need to get alarmed about the information you’re getting. An Italian nurse without delving further into her circumstances will have very very low odds of getting a B1/B2 visa denied, barring something really disastrous. The refusal rates for Italians are quite low around 15% and I suspect most of those already had problematic cases and refused ESTA which is why they applied for visas.

if she needs more than 3 months she should go ahead and apply for the visa and not force fit into the ESTA. If however 3 months is enough, it wouldn’t make sense to risk a visa application and refusal.

It's really up to her to make the decision. I can only give her advice based on what I gathered here, as well as from other trusted sources. Thanks.

5 hours ago, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

2. If you have the training outside the USA then you have to have a CGFNS certificate along with all school credentials that meet the requirements of the state that you wanted to have a license. Remember, that not all state are memebrs of Nurse Licensure Compact.

3. Once the board of nursing approved your application  then you will receive the authorization to test or ATT.

Read the attached link below and see the requirements in each state. The most common requirement aside from school credentials is  the CGFNS certificate for a foreign trained nursing student except Canada.

Additional informtion:

The Nursing Licensure Compact (NLC) is an agreement between states that allows nurses to have one license but the ability to practice in other states that are part of the agreement.

Originally developed in 2000, by 2015 the license had grown to include 25 states. To help streamline the process for nurses the Enhanced Nursing Licensure Compact (eNLC) was implemented in 2018 and included standards for licensure which the originally compact license was lacking.

For example, the NLC did not require applicants to undergo state and federal fingerprint-based criminal background checks, whereas the new eNLC does.

Here’s a comprehensive listing of all states currently impacted by multi-state compact licensing.

1. Alabama 
  2. Arizona
  3. Arkansas
  4. Colorado
  5. Delaware
  6. Florida
  7. Georgia
  8. Idaho
  9. Indiana 
  10. Iowa
  11. Kansas 
  12. Kentucky
  14. Maine
  15. Maryland
  16. Mississippi
  17. Missouri
  18. Montana
  19. Nebraska
  20. New Hampshire 
  21. New Jersey (*New Jersey is allowing nurses who hold active, unencumbered, multi-state licenses issued by Nurse Licensure Compact member states to practice in New Jersey under their multi-state licenses.)
  22. New Mexico
  23. North Carolina
  24. North Dakota
  25. Oklahoma
  26. South Carolina
  27. South Dakota
  28. Tennessee
  29. Texas
  30. Utah
  31. Virginia
  33. Wisconsin 
  34. Wyoming

Twenty-four of the original NLC states have enacted the eNLC or have pending legislation. Twelve additional states and Guam have pending legislation waiting for approval before joining the eNLC. For the first time, California and Washington both have pending legislation to join the eNLC. As of March 1, 2021, there are currently thirty-four states part of the eNLC. New Jersey has partial implementation as discussed below.  

Thank you for this. 

9 hours ago, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

Additional informtion:

1. Alabama 
  2. Arizona
  3. Arkansas
  4. Colorado
  5. Delaware
  6. Florida
  7. Georgia
  8. Idaho
  9. Indiana 
  10. Iowa
  11. Kansas 
  12. Kentucky
  14. Maine
  15. Maryland
  16. Mississippi
  17. Missouri
  18. Montana
  19. Nebraska
  20. New Hampshire 
  22. New Mexico
  23. North Carolina
  24. North Dakota
  25. Oklahoma
  26. South Carolina
  27. South Dakota
  28. Tennessee
  29. Texas
  30. Utah
  31. Virginia
  33. Wisconsin 
  34. Wyoming

Many years ago I was helping nursing grads from Philippines get approved from certain states to sit for NCLEX.  Back then California was the go to state since they did CE in house and they would actually issue you a nursing licenses and you didn't need a SSN or even be inside the USA,  They stopped doing that about 12 years ago.

Texas was the next go to state since they didn't require the Philippines graduate to have a RN licenses in PHilippines and you could get them approved to sit for NCLEX through Texas State Board of Nursing.

Last check was Texas was easy, they only required to have your transcripts evaluated by a 3rd party which they gave you 3 to choose from.  It's been about 4 years since I filled out an application for the Texas Board,  put they used to be easy to work with.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I recommend independently verifying the particulars of the intended state of residence.   The info for my state is incorrect:  we renew our licenses annually, not every three years.

Greetings!

That is why I mentioned that the person applying must contact the board of nursing in the state where she wanted to take the test. As we all know every state has updated requirements that one needed to follow. It is just the general idea of what one needs to go through. Thanks, NG

Timeline
6 hours ago, AELMIK said:

It's really up to her to make the decision. I can only give her advice based on what I gathered here, as well as from other trusted sources. Thanks.

Hello,

The best thing is let her decide as to what state and have her directly contact the board of nursing in that state.

Also, I don think that she will be allowed to have a B2 visa and a have a short training course as there is a visa for studying, If I am not mistaken J1 visa. Also, she must be questioned using a visitors visa for the purpose of NCLEX testing when we all know NCLEX is only used for USA job, it defeats the purpose of B2.

She is a nurse and America needs nurses, it is is expected that hiring is high esp. 2022 due to baby boomers. What she should do is contact an agency or if not have her documents ready, contact the board of nursing of the state that she wanted to have her license and follow through, it is always important to get the authorization to take the test or ATT, then she is free to take the test near her location. There are also companies that I heard that will hire nurses abroad and have them settle here ready to take the test, but not sure where to find this agency or if it is even true. As mentioned, that it is best if she contact the board of nursing and have information directly. NCLEX, is not a difficult test at all. especially, if she is already a nurse. It brings back memories the very day I took the test. I have read that if it stopped on question number 75 then you are already okay, meaning you already satisfied with the right answers, So when I took my test, at the back of my mind I told myself " you better stop at question number 75" which it stopped. I also read that it will keep going until it satifies that you are okay. It is mainly SAFETY, PRIORITIZATION, AND THE BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF NURSING TO MAKE SURE THAT ONE ATTENDS THE PERSON WHO NEEDED MORE ATTENTION BASED UPON THE FACTS THAT IT IS PRESENTED. 

Edited by nelmagriffin

Timeline

Hello again,

One of the hospital here in Michigan who also have sister company in Ohio, and Indiana has instructions that will guide foreign nurses that wanted to join the company. Here it is.

Reference: International Nurses (mclaren.org)

Foreign Candidate Information:

Below is information for International Nurses wishing to practice in the United States:

1. Apply for Michigan RN License.
    • If educated outside Ontario you must first complete the English language proficiency and CGFNS exams. Application for Michigan can be requested by calling 517-335-0918 or online at: www.Michigan.gov/healthlicense  Register to take the NCLEX-RN. The NCLEX exam can be repeated after 45 days should you not pass. The state of Michigan only allows three attempts to pass, all three attempts must occur within a 12-month period. www.vue.com/nclex 
    • Upon passing the NCLEX apply for a Health Care Worker Certificate "VisaScreen", through CGFNS/ICHIP, currently the only organization authorized to issue the certificate for nurses. This is the same organization you will contact if you hare required to complete the CGFNS exam. www.cgfns.org
  2. Upon receipt of your VisaScreen certificate:
    • Obtain a Letter of Intent to Employ from the prospective employer's Human Resources department
    • Apply for TN status through the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services at any United States port of entry.
    • You will need to provide the following documents:
      • Evidence of citizenship
      • Letter of Intent to Employ from the employer (Item 3a)
      • Job Description (From employer)
      • Evidence you possess the necessary qualifications, beginning July 2005 the VisaScreen certificate will be required to satisfy this requirement, however we advise you have your RN license(s) with you as well.
  3. Once you have your TN Visa you will need to apply for a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). www.ssa.gov
  4. Please note that this information is currently accurate and subject to change without notice.
Edited by nelmagriffin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That applies for Canadians and Mexicans.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 hours ago, nelmagriffin said:

Hello,

The best thing is let her decide as to what state and have her directly contact the board of nursing in that state.

Also, I don think that she will be allowed to have a B2 visa and a have a short training course as there is a visa for studying, If I am not mistaken J1 visa. Also, she must be questioned using a visitors visa for the purpose of NCLEX testing when we all know NCLEX is only used for USA job, it defeats the purpose of B2.

She is a nurse and America needs nurses, it is is expected that hiring is high esp. 2022 due to baby boomers. What she should do is contact an agency or if not have her documents ready, contact the board of nursing of the state that she wanted to have her license and follow through, it is always important to get the authorization to take the test or ATT, then she is free to take the test near her location. There are also companies that I heard that will hire nurses abroad and have them settle here ready to take the test, but not sure where to find this agency or if it is even true. As mentioned, that it is best if she contact the board of nursing and have information directly. NCLEX, is not a difficult test at all. especially, if she is already a nurse. It brings back memories the very day I took the test. I have read that if it stopped on question number 75 then you are already okay, meaning you already satisfied with the right answers, So when I took my test, at the back of my mind I told myself " you better stop at question number 75" which it stopped. I also read that it will keep going until it satifies that you are okay. It is mainly SAFETY, PRIORITIZATION, AND THE BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF NURSING TO MAKE SURE THAT ONE ATTENDS THE PERSON WHO NEEDED MORE ATTENTION BASED UPON THE FACTS THAT IT IS PRESENTED. 

I thought the J1 visa is for students who want to enroll in degree courses in colleges or universities. It's only a 35-day review course and the classes will be held in a hotel I think, and she won't be earning a degree. It's just a short course which is applicable to a B2 visa, isn't it? 

If she passes the NCLEX, she will use it to apply for a job in the US which would entail a different visa, not the B2 visa. I think she's already familiar with the NCLEX application process. I'll relay to her everything you posted. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, AELMIK said:

I thought the J1 visa is for students who want to enroll in degree courses in colleges or universities. It's only a 35-day review course and the classes will be held in a hotel I think, and she won't be earning a degree. It's just a short course which is applicable to a B2 visa, isn't it? 

If she passes the NCLEX, she will use it to apply for a job in the US which would entail a different visa, not the B2 visa. I think she's already familiar with the NCLEX application process. I'll relay to her everything you posted. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

35 day review course in USA?  I have never heard of such a thing in the USA.  Kaplan seem popular but only a few days, as well as Saunders and Hurst and some others, never heard of a 35 day review class.

Do you have a link for that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

35 day review course in USA?  I have never heard of such a thing in the USA.  Kaplan seem popular but only a few days, as well as Saunders and Hurst and some others, never heard of a 35 day review class.

Do you have a link for that?

Actually, I was thinking that, too.  In 1993, my NCLEX review consisted of my buying a book of a few thousand sample test questions, and studying them over a few days just before the test date. 

Fun Fact:  I was among the very last group of candidates to take the NCLEX using paper and pencils in my state.....LOL

I believe there is a 35 day review course which is designed to help foreign-trained nurses. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Greetings!

Note: About J1 visa, that I am not sure of. Contact US Embassy in Italy for guidance.

Here is a good link that you may want to read

(NCLEX Exam Requirements for Foreign Nurses: A Step-By-Step Guide)

Reference:NCLEX Exam Requirements for Foreign Nurses: A Step-By-Step Guide - Medical World Update

8 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Actually, I was thinking that, too.  In 1993, my NCLEX review consisted of my buying a book of a few thousand sample test questions, and studying them over a few days just before the test date. 

Fun Fact:  I was among the very last group of candidates to take the NCLEX using paper and pencils in my state.....LOL

I believe there is a 35 day review course which is designed to help foreign-trained nurses. 

My wife is from Philippines I put her thru a few NCLEX review classes in North Texas, I researched many never heard of such a thing as a 35 day review class for foreign trained nurses.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.