J+J

Impossible Interview + Medical Exam Timing

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi everybody.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to handle our current K-1 situation around timing of the visa interview and medical exams. I am the USC.

Our visa interview was supposed to be today but was cancelled due to COVID.  We rescheduled for the next available date, June 15.  Here is the problem: the medical exam will expire on June 23, so that will may not be enough time for my fiance (the beneficiary) to get the passport/visa and travel to the USA.   My understanding in this scenario is that the K-1 visa itself expires, and we'd have to hope the embassy re-issues it (is this true?)...not something we want to risk.

Here are our choices as I see it:

Option 1:  Request an expedited interview or cancel June 15 and try to grab an earlier interview if one opens up.  Total gamble.  

Option 2:  Do another medical exam immediately - the problem is, we have to do a tuberculosis sputum test which takes up to 60 days to receive results, so the results may not be available for the interview.  

Option 3:  Postpone the interview date into July, and do another medical exam immediately to try to time the results to be available well before the interview as well as the exam expiration date well after the interview.  Pushing back the interview will get us dangerously close to some critical documents expiring so we hate to consider this but it may be the safest bet.

It's a ridiculous situation.  Our medical results are only valid for 90 days, and each time we do the medical there is a 60 day sputum test.  Juggle all that with interview cancellations due to COVID and pending document expirations.  Our NOA2 was one year ago :(

Very much hoping somebody on here might have a really nice Option 4 for us...appreciate the read.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, J+J said:

Hi everybody.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to handle our current K-1 situation around timing of the visa interview and medical exams. I am the USC.

Our visa interview was supposed to be today but was cancelled due to COVID.  We rescheduled for the next available date, June 15.  Here is the problem: the medical exam will expire on June 23, so that will may not be enough time for my fiance (the beneficiary) to get the passport/visa and travel to the USA.   My understanding in this scenario is that the K-1 visa itself expires, and we'd have to hope the embassy re-issues it (is this true?)...not something we want to risk.

Here are our choices as I see it:

Option 1:  Request an expedited interview or cancel June 15 and try to grab an earlier interview if one opens up.  Total gamble.  

Option 2:  Do another medical exam immediately - the problem is, we have to do a tuberculosis sputum test which takes up to 60 days to receive results, so the results may not be available for the interview.  

Option 3:  Postpone the interview date into July, and do another medical exam immediately to try to time the results to be available well before the interview as well as the exam expiration date well after the interview.  Pushing back the interview will get us dangerously close to some critical documents expiring so we hate to consider this but it may be the safest bet.

It's a ridiculous situation.  Our medical results are only valid for 90 days, and each time we do the medical there is a 60 day sputum test.  Juggle all that with interview cancellations due to COVID and pending document expirations.  Our NOA2 was one year ago :(

Very much hoping somebody on here might have a really nice Option 4 for us...appreciate the read.

If if it was me, I would be talking to the consulate.  In the mean time,  I would try to move the interview forward.  If I can't change the schedule,  then I would go to the interview and then get a new medical after 

YMMV

Timeline
49 minutes ago, payxibka said:

If if it was me, I would be talking to the consulate.  In the mean time,  I would try to move the interview forward.  If I can't change the schedule,  then I would go to the interview and then get a new medical after 

Thanks for the reply, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "get new medical after" the interview?  The visa expiration date would be tied to my medical expiration at the time of interview, so a medical after the fact doesn't help (is my understanding)

Timeline
16 minutes ago, J+J said:

Thanks for the reply, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "get new medical after" the interview?  The visa expiration date would be tied to my medical expiration at the time of interview, so a medical after the fact doesn't help (is my understanding)

Visa expiration is tied to the medical at time of visa ISSUANCE not interview.   If you interview and you determine that there isn't enough time to issue the visa and enter the usa, then you get a new medical which provides a new expiration date. The visa wouldn't be issued until you provided a new medical reports. 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Visa expiration is tied to the medical at time of visa ISSUANCE not interview.   If you interview and you determine that there isn't enough time to issue the visa and enter the usa, then you get a new medical which provides a new expiration date. The visa wouldn't be issued until you provided a new medical reports. 

Right, issuance not interview.  But...I am not the one to determine if there is enough time to issue the Visa and enter the USA, the embassy is - would they consider this when issuing a K-1 visa with say one week validity?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, J+J said:

Right, issuance not interview.  But...I am not the one to determine if there is enough time to issue the Visa and enter the USA, the embassy is - would they consider this when issuing a K-1 visa with say one week validity?

They absolutely will.  The visa applicant has a voice in this and your concerns should be raised.  They won't issue you an expired visa or one you can't use.  That's why you should be talking to them now to see if they can guide you. 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NandV said:

Is the 90 days specific to your embassy? I thought it was valid for 6 months?

For certain medical conditions the exam is only valid for 90 days.  This can also be couple with a tuberculosis test which takes two months to obtain results...so timing because extremely difficult.

I think we are going to re-do the medical now, and either the results are ready for the interview, or a week or two after the interview.  If it is the latter, I believe we can provide the updated medical to the embassy at which point they can issue the visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
8 minutes ago, J+J said:

For certain medical conditions the exam is only valid for 90 days.  This can also be couple with a tuberculosis test which takes two months to obtain results...so timing because extremely difficult.

I think we are going to re-do the medical now, and either the results are ready for the interview, or a week or two after the interview.  If it is the latter, I believe we can provide the updated medical to the embassy at which point they can issue the visa.

Ohh gotcha that makes sense. Yes, I would keep your appointment. You can get a 221g and send in your medical later, much safer and will give you time to travel and marry also

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.