Modaddy21

BKK Embassy canceling interviews?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sympathy and empathy, guys.  It's tough, but you'll overcome it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Regarding the possibility of the embassy closing, my understanding is that the embassy is instructed to follow local regulations.  So, if there is a lockdown we might expect the embassy to close.

That then begs the question, will the Thai government impose a lock down?  My (uneducated) opinion is that they won't.  I have heard that if a "lockdown" is implemented, that obligates the government to provide financial support to businesses that are forced to close.  Rather than take that path they will do everything they can other than lockdown to flatten the curve.  Those things being quarantine requirements for interprovincial travel, closing businesses early, banning alcohol sales, mask mandaets, etc. - just yesterday they removed the waiver for tourists to quarantine for only 7 days if vaccinated.  

I'd love to hear if anybody who knows better than I do has an opinion on this.

I suppose all we can do is keep our fingers cross that the surge drops, I think that it will and fairly quickly.

Edited by J+J

Timeline
On 4/27/2021 at 12:27 PM, rndz said:

Our case left the NVC on Feb 3, 2021 and has been in the CEAC "No Status" limbo for over a month now after spending some time "In Transit".  We haven't received packet 3 yet.  In addition to worrying about the real status of the case and lack of interview slots, I'm also concerned about the availability of resources for medical examinations.  My fiancée has already had routine appointments for members of her family cancelled. 

My fiancé completed her medical exam today.  No cancellations.  We are one step closer but hoping the interview stays on track for May 18.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Steve and Nicha said:

My fiancé completed her medical exam today.  No cancellations.  We are one step closer but hoping the interview stays on track for May 18.

That is good news!  We're still waiting for packet 3 with no record of the case in the tracking system.  I don't know if this is in response to the repeated calls from me and others in the same situation, but the latest semi-automated replies from the Immigrant Visa Unit have added the sentence "Please note that this does not mean your case is lost or cannot be found." to the boilerplate response.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, rndz said:

That is good news!  We're still waiting for packet 3 with no record of the case in the tracking system.  I don't know if this is in response to the repeated calls from me and others in the same situation, but the latest semi-automated replies from the Immigrant Visa Unit have added the sentence "Please note that this does not mean your case is lost or cannot be found." to the boilerplate response.

Ok that’s good. The embassy should realize if they take a few seconds longer to reply to a message instead of providing a boilerplate response, maybe it will save numerous follow up emails and lower their email count.

Timeline
On 4/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, Steve and Nicha said:

I will just say that our case was missing for 2-3 weeks and I usually check it when I wake up in the morning because that is just when the embassy is finishing for the day.  Last Friday it magically appeared again Friday morning with a status of “Ready” and my fiancé got an email for an interview the same day.  We already booked an interview a couple weeks prior because my lawyer got an email thinking it was for us.  So we have an interview on May 18 and hope it doesn’t get cancelled because of COVID.

Are you contacting the embassy and asking for a status?  If so how?  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Modaddy21 said:

Are you contacting the embassy and asking for a status?  If so how?  

I originally contacted them a few times via email when I thought my case was missing.  When they told me it was not missing, I just lived with the no status situation until I saw it finally appear as “Ready” status.  I would give it some time before contacting them since their replies were nit that useful.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Dr. Bob said:

On the NVC tracker our case number now returns: "Your search did not return any data".  I assume this is what a few others are/were experiencing?

11 hours ago, Dr. Bob said:

On the NVC tracker our case number now returns: "Your search did not return any data".  I assume this is what a few others are/were experiencing?

Yes we saw that until it went to “Ready” status

Timeline
On 5/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, Steve and Nicha said:

I assume no cancellations?  Good luck.  We have our interview on the 18th and I am hoping for the same.

I am not the person you asked, but we have an interview May 24.  I don't know of any interview cancellations.  My fiance is in a local FB group so he would know if there were cancellations.  We will have to grit our teeth and cross our fingers during this COVID surge, I hope and believe that as long as the Thai govt. doesn't impose a lockdown the embassy will remain open.  

Timeline
On 5/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, Steve and Nicha said:

I assume no cancellations?  Good luck.  We have our interview on the 18th and I am hoping for the same.

She just got to Bangkok, there isn't an official lockdown, but it is locked down. Many things are not open and it's difficult to even get food. Supposedly, flights (nationally) and buses to bkk are not permitted to enter the city. I will update you again on the 10th.

But the interview has not been cancelled

Edited by kappy66

Timeline

Interview complete, 581 days later... Thank you everyone for your counseling and support (minus Greenbaum).

Steve, everything went well minus the quasi lockdown in Bangkok. 30 minutes long and they stuck to the typical script of questions. Good luck brother and best of luck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations, if a successful result!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Been following this thread as a silent reader and have been very encouraged to hear that interviews ARE still happening. Also I think embassy staff have already received both vaccinations, or at least one, so really there is no need for them to cancel interviews. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.