Yawee

N-400 Decision Cannot Be Made Yet About Your Application

25 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Moradesk said:

I can imagine how much stress you felt. I hope they will deal with your case soon. It has been too long time dear. 

Thanks I appreciate it. I don't have any great rush to become a citizen though.

It would be nice to be done with USCIS, but I feel worse for people who desperately need it, such as those with children about to 'age out'.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, Yawee said:

Hoping that someone here can help me make some more sense of this.

Applied for N-400 back in March, 2020.  Got a Biometrics reuse letter in Dec 2020.  Interview was scheduled for Mar 2021.  Los Angeles Office.

So, a little over a week ago now, I went to my interview.  But instead of getting called into a room, my interview officer came into the waiting area and asked for me to come to his office on a different floor.  As we walked, he explained there was some "red light" on my USCIS file coming from the Ohio branch but he couldn't access it to tell me what it was.  Asked me some vague question about interstate employment, to which I said I've lived and worked in California for the last five years as a green card holder.  But perhaps it has something to do with my first ever 01 visa, which I got more than ten years ago.  Every chance my original visa lawyer from then had opened the file at the Ohio branch and I wouldn't have really known / understood.  But absolutely nothing else about this made sense to either of us.

In 2017 I had applied for a I-131 in California for a trip I was planning to take that was over 6 months. That permit was approved, but I ended up never using it (or taking the trip).  I asked if this could have been the red light?  And even provided the unused permit book.  But I was told that wouldn't have been it.

We went to their office.  I passed the civics test.  Interviewing officer asked me a few questions about my travel movements and work and tax returns. Nothing very specific.  Then it was over and he said that unfortunately, because of this "red light" on his system, he can't just print my oath ceremony letter today and that I'd need to wait.  He said I was approved, but that it can't be made official until this Ohio office issue is sorted out.  Then the filled in the interview result form, and only ticked the {X} USCIS WILL SEND YOU A WRITTEN DECISION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION // (B) A DECISION CANNOT BE MADE YET ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION.

I was assured that they'd have it sorted by the end of the day.  In fact, he set a reminder while I was in the room to try to pass the file into the system at 5pm that day.  Wanted to save me sitting around USCIS all day (as it was 9am at the time).

So I left happy, but with a degree of anxiety over what this was about.  That night, at around 3am, I got an email from USCIS saying my "case status had been updated".  But when I went to log onto the site the next day, nothing had changed since Feb.  My status still just said my "Interview Was Scheduled" from way back in Jan 2021.  I waited 48 hours and nothing changed still, so I rang USCIS to ask if there was some kind of glitch or issue on my file.  I was told a Tier 2 officer would look into it.  But then on Sunday, I got the dreaded stock form letter from USCIS saying my case was "pending and is within our current processing time".

I rang USCIS again that morning for clarification and was told the Tier 2 officer had "declined to respond" to my request and that my application was still pending.  I asked for some kind of time frame and was told a decision should be made by the end of April.  I asked for more clarity as to what was happening or if there was something I should be doing to help - additional forms or evidence or anything.  Was told there's nothing I can do but wait.

Is this normal?  Can anyone here guess what this could be about?

I thought the anxiety of waiting a year for my interview during Covid was bad enough.  But this wait now without any information about what is going on has me absolutely stressed out of my mind.

Thoughts?

I am in the Los Angeles office too. I am in the same situation as you. I got approval on the interview date but did not have information for the oath. The officer said the case will be finalized at the end day, and I will receive the oath notice. But My status still shows “Interview Was Scheduled.”

I know what you mean. I guess it is a computer issue, not yours. I am willing to share my story with you. Almost at the end of the interview, the officer said “sometimes the computer is good, but sometimes it isn’t.” In my case, because the computer was doubt I have been holding the green card for over five years, the computer did not let the process go. But the officer and I all know I applied for N400 after being a 5 years green cardholder. I even didn’t leave the US  for the past five years.

Then the result is, after waiting for the long time for the computer,  the officer still could not date me for the oath on the interview day. I am not sure when the oath will be dated but hope it will not be too late.  And I hope you feel better because you are not alone. Plus, I am also a March 2020 filer, but my bio appointment in March 2021, and interview in May. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, Moradesk said:

I am in the Los Angeles office too. I am in the same situation as you. I got approval on the interview date but did not have information for the oath. The officer said the case will be finalized at the end day, and I will receive the oath notice. But My status still shows “Interview Was Scheduled.”

I know what you mean. I guess it is a computer issue, not yours. I am willing to share my story with you. Almost at the end of the interview, the officer said “sometimes the computer is good, but sometimes it isn’t.” In my case, because the computer was doubt I have been holding the green card for over five years, the computer did not let the process go. But the officer and I all know I applied for N400 after being a 5 years green cardholder. I even didn’t leave the US  for the past five years.

Then the result is, after waiting for the long time for the computer,  the officer still could not date me for the oath on the interview day. I am not sure when the oath will be dated but hope it will not be too late.  And I hope you feel better because you are not alone. Plus, I am also a March 2020 filer, but my bio appointment in March 2021, and interview in May. 

But I think our cases discussed here are different, the OP never got the approval.  That is different than not getting an oath date.  Our cases here meant we got the famous form N-652 with the mark on "a decision cannot be made yet about your application".  So, in other words, we do not have approval yet.  And it seems this is pretty common by the numbers of people that are reporting these cases.

Edited by Coco&Kitten

1 hour ago, Coco&Kitten said:

But I think our cases discussed here are different, the OP never got the approval.  That is different than not getting an oath date.  Our cases here meant we got the famous form N-652 with the mark on "a decision cannot be made yet about your application".  So, in other words, we do not have approval yet.  And it seems this is pretty common by the numbers of people that are reporting these cases.

I am sorry I misunderstood the situation. I was thinking Yawee was ticked (A) not (B) because I saw this in the post “{X} USCIS WILL SEND YOU A WRITTEN DECISION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION // (B) A DECISION CANNOT BE MADE YET ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION.” Then I thought Yawee got the approval, but just could not date the oath. Hope to hear good news from you soon. I know it is so anxious .

On 5/11/2021 at 6:56 PM, Moradesk said:

I am sorry I misunderstood the situation. I was thinking Yawee was ticked (A) not (B) because I saw this in the post “{X} USCIS WILL SEND YOU A WRITTEN DECISION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION // (B) A DECISION CANNOT BE MADE YET ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION.” Then I thought Yawee got the approval, but just could not date the oath. Hope to hear good news from you soon. I know it is so anxious .

I am in a same situation. I have had done my n-400 interview in Los Angeles in March-15-2021 and the officer said I would like to approve your case but I don't have your actual file in my office! Then she marked on "you decision can't make yet". However, she said I should recieve a mail for my oath ceremony in Apr.

So far, I haven't received any updates and my online status is showing  "my interview was schaduled". I called USCIS one time and the customer service had Zero information about my case. I planned to send a letter to the officer but my lawyer said it only annoys the officer and he said I have to wait for 120 days, then I can submit an inquiry.

I believe the only reason that my case is pending is my country of origin that is located in the middle east!! 

Please share any helpful advice you might have to help easing this situation for me...

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Yawee said:

Just wanted to give everyone an update.  Finally got movement with USCIS just yesterday.  After calling every single Tuesday since my interview and getting nowhere, I randomly received a case update yesterday informing me that I've been scheduled for my oath ceremony at the end of the month!

No RFE or explanation about what happened during my interview way back in March that delayed everything 2.5 months.  But for me, it's a thousand pound weigh off my back.

My US citizenship journey with USCIS is finally about to come to end and I don't have to be kept up late at night anymore stressing about all this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone on this site for all your words of encouragement and help.  And good luck to everyone else still on their journey!!

So good to hear your case got moving!  This gives us hopes to the ones still waiting, hopefully one of these days...  Congratulations!!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Congrats

Got ds 3032 :23 March 2010

Interview : 09-09-2010 Result :Administrative Processing

In december 2010 priority dates retrogessed and wait priority date current again in

MARCH 2012 2nd

Medical submit :07 March 2012 Result :Administrative Processing

3rd Medical submit :28th Feb 2013 Result Administrative Processing

4th Medical submit :26th Feb 2014 Result :Got email reply from embassy that they will call me for finger prints and oath ..and still waiting Got call for finger prints and oath

on 12th MAY Went for finger prints and oath :21th May Result :ApprovedVisa Issued :22.05.2014

visa Issued Today after 3 years 8 months and 13 days

Green Card fee paid : 05/06/2014

Poe :17/06/2014

Ssn Received :27-06-2014

Green Card Produced and Mailed :07/22/2014

Got 10 YEAR Green Card :25/07/2014

Citizenship

Event                                Date

Service Center :             Online

CIS Office :                     New York City NY

Date Filed :                     2019-12-21

NOA Date :                     2019-12-28

Bio. Appt. :                     2020-01-06

Interview Date :            2021-03-25

Approved :                     2021-11-03

Oath Ceremony :          2021-11-19

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have a similar issue, had the interview august 6th & they didn't even know how to handle my case ..i waited 3 hours at their office THREE ..i had the test, the English writing and reading. Signed several forms but haven't gotten a answer,  said i should expect a letter within like 2 weeks been almost 1 month no letter in sight..not even a change on their website Idk what the heck is going on

Our Story

I'm the benificary

First met: August 23rd 2013 (F)
Engaged: November 13th 2014 :wub:
I-129f sent: March 20th 2015
Received by USICS: March 25th 2015
Mail notification + Case accepted and routed to CSC:
March 27th 2015

NOA1 hard Copy received: April 4th 2015 :dancing:

Mail notification - Petition Approved NOA2: May 8th 2015

B-) NOA2 hard Copy received: May 15th 2015 :thumbs::dance:

Called NVC & Received Case NR: May 29th 2015 :thumbs:

At NVC: Since 21th May 2015

Stuck at AP :clock:

left NVC/ In Transit to Frankfurt: 3rd June 2015 :dancing:

Ready at Embassy Frankfurt: 5th June 2015 :wow:

Packet 3 received: 11th June 2015

DS-160 Submitted: 16th June 2015

Fee paid: 18th June 2015

Package 3 sent: 13th July 2015

Ready to schedule Interview: 16th July 2015
Medical passed: 21st July 2015

Interview: 5th August 2015 :star: -> Approved

POE: 27th August 2015

Date of Marriage: 3rd September 2015 (L):luv:

:energy::energy::energy: :energy: :energy::energy:

AOS

Timeline

There is an active thread going on that has several examples of cases like this (with very good info), check it out and join the "club":

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.