liverpool2512

divorce and then remarry

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone. I had married this girl in 2018. And we already send aos package but the thing is we never went to the interview and I didn't even go to the biometric appointment and I just let it sit there. Then unfortunately our marriage fall apart and the divorce was finalized in June 2020( we filed in 2019 ). Few years back I met a new girl (who is USC) . We are from the same country of origin and speak the same language same culture. we fell in love and get married in November 2020 and we want to try the process again (nothing to lose right). Then I realized my ex-wife never withdraw i130. So do i have to withdraw my i485 and do it again? OR i just filed a new application write letter to them explain what happened?. My question is when should I filed a new application, should i hired a lawyer to do it thanks .Please advise me what to do next thank you

How did you arrive in the US? What visa type?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

So you can file an adjustment of status but on the I-130 you need to provide details of the previous petition. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, liverpool2512 said:

But do i need to withdraw the previous petition or can i just wait and file a new one ?thanks for your help

You can’t withdraw the petition. It has already been approved. An approved I-130 with no further action taken will be archived. If you are in contact with your former wife you can ask her to contact USCIS to explain that the petition is not required although they have probably realized that already. As the beneficiary you can’t do anything with it. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

3 hours ago, liverpool2512 said:

Hello everyone. I had married this girl in 2018. And we already send aos package but the thing is we never went to the interview and I didn't even go to the biometric appointment and I just let it sit there. Then unfortunately our marriage fall apart and the divorce was finalized in June 2020( we filed in 2019 ). Few years back I met a new girl (who is USC) . We are from the same country of origin and speak the same language same culture. we fell in love and get married in November 2020 and we want to try the process again (nothing to lose right). Then I realized my ex-wife never withdraw i130. So do i have to withdraw my i485 and do it again? OR i just filed a new application write letter to them explain what happened?. My question is when should I filed a new application, should i hired a lawyer to do it thanks .Please advise me what to do next thank you

Well, you do not have to do anything regarding the old I-130 and I-485, the I-130 was voided by operation of law when you divorced your ex. So just disclose that yes you were petitioned for before and yes you did apply for permanent residence earlier and you divorced and abandoned that application.

Note however, that in this case USCIS will most likely want to see evidence that you entered both the current and prior marriage in good faith and not to just get a green card. You can either front-load the packet, or wait for an RFE and give it all to them when they ask.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Demise said:

Well, you do not have to do anything regarding the old I-130 and I-485, the I-130 was voided by operation of law when you divorced your ex. So just disclose that yes you were petitioned for before and yes you did apply for permanent residence earlier and you divorced and abandoned that application.

Note however, that in this case USCIS will most likely want to see evidence that you entered both the current and prior marriage in good faith and not to just get a green card. You can either front-load the packet, or wait for an RFE and give it all to them when they ask.

i just sent  them the letter says i wanna withdraw the i485 last week .They just send me an RFE,To be honest i dont what an rfe at this point are for.i I just wanna withdraw the old application and started a new one,  I haven't got the letter yet so i cant tell you guys what they want , probably because of the winter storm uri  delayed my mail.If i ignore them and send them the whole new package (i 130,i485) is it ok thank you guys for help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I suggest you need to get a competent immigration lawyer. Unfortunately (and I may be wrong) it doesn’t appear to me you have the knowledge to go through this by yourself. Your case is not clean. Quickie marriage and divorce with an abandoned immigration petition based on the marriage.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 2/20/2021 at 12:09 PM, liverpool2512 said:

i just sent  them the letter says i wanna withdraw the i485 last week .They just send me an RFE,To be honest i dont what an rfe at this point are for.i I just wanna withdraw the old application and started a new one,  I haven't got the letter yet so i cant tell you guys what they want , probably because of the winter storm uri  delayed my mail.If i ignore them and send them the whole new package (i 130,i485) is it ok thank you guys for help

If the other I-130 was already approved, you can have your new spouse submit the new I-130 now. You can do it online or on paper.

If you send a new I-485 now without the first one being withdrawn or denied first, the new application may just get rejected or eventually denied due to the first one being active. You would just be wasting your money as USCIS will not refund you the fees and you would have to re-file and pay once the previous i-485 is either denied or withdrawn. 

As stated above, it will be best to get an immigration attorney. You state that you married the first girl in 2018 and divorced in 2020 then go on to state that you met your new girl a "few years back" so it sounds like you were still married to the first girl when you met the new girl. You married the new girl in November 2020 with the signature of the first divorce still wet and now you would like to adjust. USCIS tends to see this as an attempt to procure an immigration benefit by fraud. 

You will need to submit A LOT of evidence to show this current marriage is bonafide.

Good luck!

My current Timeline:

June 9, 2020 - Form I-130 filed electronically through USCIS.gov

June 10, 2020 - Form I-130 Accepted

June 11, 2020 - Form I-130 I-797 PDF available for download with priority date of June 9, 2020

June 16, 2020 - Mailed I-485 packet* along with I-131 and I-765

June 18, 2020 - USPS confirms packet delivered

July 20, 2020 - Credit Card charged

July 27, 2020 - I-797 letters received for I-485, I-765, and I-131 with a received date of June 18, 2020

August 10, 2020 - Notice of RFE for I-485 mailed. 

August 13, 2020 -  Red RFE notice received via mail. Notice requested proof of residence for 864A sponsor. 

August 13, 2020 - Mailed RFE response to USCIS**

August 17, 2020 - USPS confirms that RFE response was delivered

August 18, 2020 - USCIS Notification confirming receipt of response for RFE

September 24, 2020 - Received I-693 Deficiency Notice

January 19, 2021 - Form I-130 Approved and notice sent to beneficiary with notice available immediately online

January 22, 2021 - Form I-130 Approval Notice received by mail

January 29, 2021 - Biometrics notice received for the I-485 and I-765 dated for February 17. 2020 at 1pm

February 17, 2021 - Code 3 Biometrics taken for I-485 and I-765. Case updated to show biometrics applied to both I-485 and I-765 the same night. 

February 18, 2021 - I-485 case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview" 

April 19, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"

April 20, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 case status changed to "Case was approved"  

April 22, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

April 23, 2021 - Approval notices received for I-131 and I-765 via mail

April 23, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with a delivery date set to Monday, April 26, 2021, by 9:00 PM

April 26, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" and card picked up in mail box

April 29, 2021 - Visit to Social Security Administration for SSN Card

May 4, 2021 - SSN Card arrives in the mail 

December 20, 2021 - Send I-765 and I-131 Renewal via FedEx

December 22, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 Renewal received in Chicago

December 30, 2021 - I-797 notice received for I-765 and I-131

May 24, 2022 - AOS Interview Sacramento

May 26, 2022 - Status updated to "New Card is being produced" Green Card Approved. 

*Packet was mailed without I-693 medical. Will wait for an RFE and take it to the interview. Also, tax transcripts were not available at the time so copies of the tax returns were sent and a cover letter explaining why. 

**Included tax transcripts in RFE response since I was now able to gain access since sending the application. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.