oodlesofpoodles

Oath Ceremony Experience during Covid

5 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share my experience of the Oath Ceremony during Covid as I know everyone's is a bit different and it's nice to know.

My ceremony was scheduled for 8:30am in St Louis, I arrived at about 8.15 - the letter specifically stated not to arrive more than 30 minutes prior, I had planned to arrive earlier but due to bad roads from snow and ice it took a little while to get downtown.

Walked in where security asked covid questions, took temperatures and went through security, was told about 5 times to keep masks on. 

Directed down the hall where we were checked in, any family/guests were sent to wait in the cafeteria as only participants were allowed in (this was also on the letter but some people still tried) 

There were 10 numbered seats spread out through the room, we were sent to our number and given a packet of information, passport application, mini flag etc.

Our USCIS rep was late due to weather but we all started checking in at about 8.45, just going over the form on the back of our appointment letter, giving in old green cards and confirming our information on the citizenship certificate was correct. 

Once that was done the judge stood up, introduced himself, apologized profusely it wasn't a bigger deal as they normally had speakers, music etc.

Then went into formalities, we stood and took the oath, then the pledge of allegiance, the other USCIS rep congratulated us all, and passed out our certificates and sent us on our way as the next group of 10 was waiting to come in.

It all took just under an hour, was very relaxed and easy. 

Good luck if you're still in the process! It's long and stressful but worth it ❤

5/8/16 : Entered US on J1 | 3/10/17 : Married | 3/29/17 AOS/EAD/AP Filed | 7/14/17 : EAD Received | 9/7/17 : Green Card Received

I-751 ROC: 6/3/19 : Mailed I-751 | 6/7/19: I-751 Notice Date | 6/11/19: 18 month extension letter - SRC Service Center |

11/20/19: Biometrics Completed | 5/18/20: Approval Letter Received (no interview) | 5/21/20: 10 year Green Card Received

N-400

6/3/20 : Naturalization filing window opened

8/7/20: N-400 filed and paid online

10/28/28: I-797 Notice of reuse of previous biometrics

11/30/20: Interview Scheduled for 1/12/21

1/12/21: Interview Passed!

1/19/21: Oath Ceremony scheduled for 2/9/21

2/9/21: Oath Ceremony | Now a US Citizen!

On 2/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, oodlesofpoodles said:

Just wanted to share my experience of the Oath Ceremony during Covid as I know everyone's is a bit different and it's nice to know.

My ceremony was scheduled for 8:30am in St Louis, I arrived at about 8.15 - the letter specifically stated not to arrive more than 30 minutes prior, I had planned to arrive earlier but due to bad roads from snow and ice it took a little while to get downtown.

Walked in where security asked covid questions, took temperatures and went through security, was told about 5 times to keep masks on. 

Directed down the hall where we were checked in, any family/guests were sent to wait in the cafeteria as only participants were allowed in (this was also on the letter but some people still tried) 

There were 10 numbered seats spread out through the room, we were sent to our number and given a packet of information, passport application, mini flag etc.

Our USCIS rep was late due to weather but we all started checking in at about 8.45, just going over the form on the back of our appointment letter, giving in old green cards and confirming our information on the citizenship certificate was correct. 

Once that was done the judge stood up, introduced himself, apologized profusely it wasn't a bigger deal as they normally had speakers, music etc.

Then went into formalities, we stood and took the oath, then the pledge of allegiance, the other USCIS rep congratulated us all, and passed out our certificates and sent us on our way as the next group of 10 was waiting to come in.

Good luck if you're still in the process! It's long and stressful but worth it ❤

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 2/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, oodlesofpoodles said:

oh this is perfect, just what I wanted to know.  I have mine today in Louisville, KY at 2pm.  I'm making hubby drive me in with the kids and wanted to be able to tell him how long he would have to wait.   I'm expecting it to be similar to yours.  Thanks again and congrats!

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, SweetDelish said:

oh this is perfect, just what I wanted to know.  I have mine today in Louisville, KY at 2pm.  I'm making hubby drive me in with the kids and wanted to be able to tell him how long he would have to wait.   I'm expecting it to be similar to yours.  Thanks again and congrats!

Hello

how long did your oath ceremony take in and out? I have mine in the next month 

My husband had his Oath Ceremony on March 16 in Montgomery, AL  It was literally a drive thru ceremony and he was so disappointed...

We sat in our car while a man in khaki shorts, shirt and ball cap handed him a clipboard with the Oath on it - he read it out and they handed him the certificate, said congratulations and we drove away...  At least I got to be with him - and yes, I cried happy tears  --  but this is a BIG deal and Covid stole it from him.  We're happy it's all over with.

Tracy and Derek

Oath Ceremony completed March 16, 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.